PDA

View Full Version : interesting discovery

LadyVictoria
February 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, so I did my first ever CO tonight (hair is still damp, will post my final result once it dries). I always comb through my damp hair once or twice to detangle then leave it alone while it dries. Well I was gently combing and I saw a bunch of new growth strands sticking out all over my scalp, something I never notice when I use poo. Well I was investigating these new strands (all of them 2" or shorter so they are quite new) and let me just say that I have always struggled with my super fine, limp, straight hair... Well these new hairs are really thick and beautifully curly! I literally squealed with excitement. Could it be?! Am I actually growing thick, curly hair?! Oh I am just so excited, I can't wait to see what happens as they grow.

Has anybody else here had a complete change of texture and/or thickness once they began taking proper care of their hair?

Avalin
February 5th, 2010, 10:19 PM
My hair fell out some due to an eating disorder and when it came back in (a lot of it) it was curlier than most of my hair. They still curl up when it is humid. The new growth is about 7 inches now but I think it has stated to make my ponytail thicker (not all of them can reach the ponytail). So no, my growth did not change because I was taking care my hair, but it stated growing in differently when I started taking care of myself.

christine1989
February 5th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I have been trying out biotin these past few months and I have been getting a lot of new hair- most of it being the same thickness but some of these new hairs actually look like they came out of a horse's tail! I don't know if thats a good thing but they sure are thick.

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Since going no poo my hair went from 1a to 1b dry and when it's wet it has waves!! who would have known my hair was no stick-straight!

squidgetroo
February 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Me! I started out in October/November with what I thought was 1b hair...very little wave no matter what I did to it. Even using a curling iron wouldn't give me curls that would stay in longer than an hour. Now, after completely changing my routine and actually taking care of my hair (air-drying, henna, CO washing, ACV rinses, no cones, daily oiling, deep treatments), my hair is a solid 2b. I only have 2a/2b in my stats because the back of my hair is still all layers and isn't as wavy as the front, but I'm guessing once they grow out it will be the same as the front. I am still learning how to deal with this new wave pattern and am excited to see what it will look like once its a few inches longer...the longer it gets, the curlier it seems to be. :)

Cheeks1206
February 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I haven't experienced this, but I have heard a lot of people think they have wavy hair and once they start taking care of their hair they find it's much curlier than they dreamed. This experience is usually with the length of the hair they already have, not new growth. That said, I don't see why it would be impossible. If you've stopped heat styling and using "bad" products you're giving your hair a chance to grow the way it does naturally as opposed to forcing it into submission.

ravenreed
February 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM
My hair is thicker since I stopped using SLS. It was causing huge shedding every time I shampooed. Plus, the actual texture of my hair is thicker since I started using henna.

LadyVictoria
February 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I am actually loving CO so far. No more dry, itchy, flaky scalp and it is so much easier to detangle after my shower. I had a hard time believing that my fine, oily hair could ever tolerate it... Sometimes I just love to be proven wrong. I will admit that I also had a hard time letting go of lather, I had led myself to believe that if it didn't bubble up, it wasn't clean. I think I used waaaay too much conditioner during my first CO session because I couldn't feel any bubbles between my fingers. I have also noticed that I hardly shed at all now. My drain used to clog up after about 5 or 6 showers and now I can't see any hairs stuck in there!