PDA

View Full Version : outer layer question

geosangel
February 5th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have been wondering this for a few years now..my hair (when its at its "normal" stage) meaning not colored, permed, blowfried, etc..seems really healthy underneath, but the top layer is always frizzy, dry, and looks horrible. This seems to only happen once I have let my hair grow out, and no other times. if I pull the top layer into a ponytail, my haie looks great, til you see the pony tail, and its like whoa...what is all this breakage/frizz/straw? I just assumed it is because its the outside layer that takes all the damage? but the weird thing is, I have not seen this on other people. its kind of like having 2 completely different hair types, and is very annoying. Any input on this?

Dreams_in_Pink
February 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I guess that's because outer layer of hair gets all the damage and hair below it is protected.

Merkaba
February 5th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Mine is the same way, but I thought it was because I shaved the underneath so it is all new growth wheras the top layer has been bleached and colored at points.

OleanderTime
February 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Mine is like this, too. I'm not sure if it is from damage or if my hair is just different, but the top layer, or "canopy" is less curly and is lighter in color. I love my bottom hair a lot more. It's softer, gets curlier without getting frizzy, and is just a bit darker.

cmnt831
February 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Mine's the same. I also assumed that it was because the top was exposed to the elements more. That may be part of it, but in my case a lot of that frizz turned out to be curl that I wasn't properly caring for. Now that I'm taking more care to define the curls (conditioner, shea/olive oil, filtered water, no brushing, no toweling), the frizz is practically gone. Now to figure out what to do about the "strings" that form....

spidermom
February 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I have problems with my canopy, too. I give it more conditioner and oil to make it smoother and protect it.

GoddesJourney
February 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Try to avoid standing directly under the hot water in the shower. Better yet, use warm water or cold in the summer. Try not to play with you hair too much. Also, remember that your hair is longer on top and, therefore, older. Your crown hair takes about a year to get to your nape.

geosangel
February 5th, 2010, 09:54 AM
well its nice to know its not just me,;). I'm hoping that now I am learning "proper" hair care and applying these lessons, the frizz will not come back again. Thanks everyone:D

Gumball
February 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah my canopy puts up the biggest fight, too, because it weathers all the storms. The best I can do is try to take as gentle care of it as possible. Sometimes you just have to make due with what you've got it seems!

Sweetness
February 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah, same here... All tips on taking special car of this outer "chunchy" layer is really welcome... what kind of updo is the best to protect it during sleep, for example ?

Sammich
February 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
My upper layer is much more softer to me, probably because it's sooo much shorter thna my under layer! :p And my upper/outer layer is way more wavier.

Tabitha
February 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
the top layer, or "canopy" is less curly and is lighter in color. I love my bottom hair a lot more. It's softer, gets curlier without getting frizzy, and is just a bit darker.

I could have written this post! :p