PDA

View Full Version : Q about feye's trim

intothemist1999
February 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Whenever I try the straight-across trim (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2389.html#cutid1), it's all good till I comb the hair forward (step 2). Unlike the image on the site the hair from the back of my head appears shorter than the hair from the front of the head. That makes sense, since it has further to travel over the shoulders.

I wouldn't dare "even it out" at that point, since the "shorter" back hair is a good few inches shorter - no way am I cutting that much off. :D

I usually stop after the first step, the ponytail snip.

Is there something I'm not getting, or is it my big head causing the huge difference in the length when pulled forward?

TIA!

Arctic
February 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
You mean the step 2?

intothemist1999
February 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Yes, Arctic (I've edited the OP now).

Longlocks3
February 5th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I stop at the ponytail snip. I think step two is just optional. My straight across trim always comes out pretty even. I'd say as long as it's straight enough for you after the ponytail snip, leave it!

bumblebums
February 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Do you mean that you get an inverted U shape? If so, maybe it would help to tilt your head slightly forward when you make the ponytail?

aisling
February 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I also do only one step when I want a straight across trim. I've had good results with that and I'm happy how my hair looks. So, basically I think you don't really have to do a second step if you're getting an nice, straight hemline with one step.

intothemist1999
February 5th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Do you mean that you get an inverted U shape?

No, but think that if I DID snip it at that stage, I would end up with a U shape.

I think I'll carry on with stopping at the stage one pontail snip, as others have. It seems pretty straight at that point.

eta: I'll try and post pics to demonstrate what I mean.

flutterbudget
February 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
When she say "even it up", I don't think she means cut the front even with the back. I think she means just neaten up the edge, like if any hairs are longer becuase they were out of line and got missed in step one.

GoddesJourney
February 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Bend your head way forward when you're pulling the ponytail band down to your cutting length. This cancels out the inverted U.

Pixna
February 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I haven't looked at this for a while. I believe (though I could be wrong) that the ponytail snip used to be the LAST step, not the first step. When I do a straight-across trim, I do the ponytail snip at the very end. That ensures that everything is even and removes the "tip" that usually forms after you trim the sides. (The "tip" creates more of a V shape, which is why the hem becomes straight across when the tip is trimmed off.) You might want to try simply reversing the two steps. That's the way I do it, and it works perfectly.