PDA

View Full Version : Wait till damage is gone to use cone/SLS free poo/condish?

hydrangea
February 5th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Hello Everyone!

I've got about 5 inches "virgin" hair, but the rest is all porous/neglected/bottle-blond-go-bad hair. I tried Jason c/s/c a couple weeks ago. Worked great on my "new" hair, but left the rest dry/unruly/tangly (damage really showed, too). I was wondering if I could end up causing more breakage by using more natural shampoos due to my damaged ends. :confused: However, I eventually want to go cone and sls free. Would I be better to switch from sls/cone products after I have cut off all the damage? I'm planning to get it cut once it hits APL. It is just past shoulders right now. Thanks, in advance, for everyone's advice!

daisy
February 5th, 2010, 05:10 AM
I'd suggest a deep treatment once a week. You could use honey if you want something natural, and it's winter so you wont be attracting the bugs.

When I was first started growing out my color treated hair, I tried using shampoo bars with vinegar rinse. I oiled every day, but my hair was somewhat straw-like. I really attribute it to lack of conditioner. My hair always did feel good for 2-3 washes after a molasses deep treatment. I do think the molasses temporarily stained my hair (which I wanted), but that is why I am suggesting honey.

Good luck

Dreams_in_Pink
February 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
i have the same problem. everything works on my virgin roots but nothing works on damaged ends :( patience...

I don't think going no-cone and sls-free will damage your hair further, actually it's even better for you to switch soon to prevent future damage. but be prepared that your damage will be very visible (as cones can hide damage better than oils) don't let this fool you, you're just facing the bitter truth. Or you can use coney conditioner or serums on damaged parts, but be aware that sls dries and strips hair so bad, you won't be helping the damage that way.

BelleBot
February 5th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've had quite damaged ends and have just switched to SLS free/cone free conditioner only washing. I do a deep conditioning treatment and heavy oiling at least once a week leaving it on my hair overnight. Plus I do 5 - 10 mins of S&D everyday. My ends are now lovely and soft and relatively damage free. The biggest difference so far however has been losing the sls/cones and just using conditioner when I wash my hair.

So my advice, switch now instead of waiting till you've grown out the damage. You might find it sorts out a lot of the damage without having to cut it off. I very much doubt you'd cause any more damage. Though initially the damage might be more visible without cones hiding it.
Good luck.

Madame J
February 5th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Probably it was the difference between 'cone-free and not. I would say keep using SLS-free 'poo and maybe go back to 'coney conditioner -- even if you just give your ends a little shot of it -- until you can trim off the damage. It sounds like your ends like 'cones. You could also use a small amount of oil or 'coney serum on your ends and stick with 'cone-free conditioner.

melikai
February 5th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I do find I have to be more careful with my remaining bleached parts than with the rest of my hair, since no longer using sulfates or 'cones. Silicones can keep moisture out though, and the frequent clarifying that they require could counteract any protective benefits they may provide. Like others have suggested here, I'd baby your ends with moisture treatments and oils, in place of the silicones.

xoxophelia
February 5th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Maybe cut out shampoo all together for the most part?

What I am doing currently is a modified CO. I pretty much do that and then in the very last second take a tiny bit of diluted shampoo (with SLS and other surfacants), and massage into to my scalp shortly and rise right away. I have absolutely no greasies. Will probably cut out that final step soon for the most part :).

That should keep your ends from getting dry and not over damaging your virgin roots. Maybe just pick one routine, stick with it for 2 or more weeks and then see how it goes.

Sammich
February 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have dyed my hair multiple times last year, over 4 times, one time bleach and most of the others red/lighter brown... ;) I'm guessing it's pretty damaged... :D
My hair is fine with no cones/sulfates, guess it depends on the product... :) My hair feels also overall way more softer without cones and sulfates, and tiny ammounts of oils... I've found that using more oil than necessary actually makes my hair gross and crunchy, (No matter what oil.) perhaps that's your problem? Start out little. :D

JamieLeigh
February 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM
If you take the cones out of your routine, then your damaged bits will really show up, and will possibly become harder to manage. Cones mask damage, and they give your hair extra "slip", so that it slides easily against itself. That's just my :twocents: based on my own experience with damaged ends and cone-free conditioner, but I know every hair type is different. I also benefited from cutting out the shampoo and switching over to CO.

hydrangea
February 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all your responses! Today is wash day so I'm going to clarify today then next wash day I will start completely cone/sls free shampoo and conditioner. I will do that for 2 weeks then determine whether I need to give my ends some cones.

LadyVictoria
February 5th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I find using cones on my ends only, makes it more manageable until I can grow out and trim off all the damage. I went cone-free for 3 weeks, I found the truth about my abused ends to much to handle. Everyone's hair is different though. Good luck!

spidermom
February 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
You could possibly go cone free for shampoo and conditioner but have coney serum on hand to apply sparingly to bleachy ends only. If you haven't already, try CWC with diluted shampoo. That's the single best change I ever made, I think. Well, that and coconut oil. I like coney serum, too; it makes detangling so much easier. But I use it sparingly. A little goes a long way.