PDA

View Full Version : French Twist for very long hair

Alcenaia
February 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I love the look of French twists and would like to be able to do that style. However, my hair is approaching classic. I'm trying to figure out a way to do a French twist without having so much hair to tuck inside the twist against my head, since that is not working. :p

There doesn't seem to be a thread addressing this, and the instructions/videos for French twists I've found have ladies with hair at BSL or less. Thus, I turn to the knowledgeable people of the LHC. :)

Thanks in advance for thoughts and links!

Leela613
February 5th, 2010, 01:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNHoS5erfw Maybe you could try this:).

HildeMV
February 5th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I still haven't perfected this. It's difficult to tuck and get it even, and it usually ends up huge. :p

eternallyverdan
February 5th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I've used CinnamonHair's method (the one that Leela linked to above) with great success. I have a slightly crappy picture of my French Twist in my album somewhere if you'd like. I secured it with Amish pins.

Alcenaia
February 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Leela613, thank you for the video link, and eternallyverdan for the review and the picture! All were very instructive. I'm going to try this later! :)

JamieLeigh
February 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm also a fan of CinnamonHair's way of doing this. Mine is pretty much mid-thigh length and it works VERY well for me! :D

PseudoScot
February 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Nice thread, I'm in the same boat but never tried it as I figured mine was too long, as I'm also pushing classic. Will have a look too, thanks, though I do think a FT gets pretty huge at that length. :D

slz
February 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I asked about it earlier here and was advised two different kinds - the log roll and cinnamonhair's, I think. However I gave up before being able to master the thing. Upsetting.

Cinnamon Hair
February 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for linking my video. That is great to hear some people had success with it! I don't really wear a french twist as a regular style because I think it looks awkward on me, too big. I guess the same could be said about my buns, and I wear those all the time...hmm. Not sure what my thought process is with that. :shrug: Anyway, it is a nice style and quite secure once you get a feel for how to insert the clip/fork/whatever.

Chromis
February 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Might I recommend seeing if doing a log roll would give you a similar enough look? You should be long enough to do one now and there is a great tutorial in the articles. I never could get the hang of French rolls, but love how elegant they look and this gives me a nice polished look quite easily!

celelu
February 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I still haven't achieved to do this perfectly, but this could be a solution: http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica#p/u/7/RykFHb_cJ6o Have some of your hair in a beautiful accent braid that you can pin around the twist, thus reducing the amount of hair you have to tuck in it.

Alcenaia
February 5th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I tried Cinnamon Hair's way of doing this earlier and it worked quite well. I don't have a Ficcare, but it seemed to stay put with hairsticks. Thank you for making the video, Cinnamon Hair.

Chromis, I found the tutorial for the log roll. I have wadded my hair into something similar by accident (just trying to toss it up one day), but this actually looks nice! I am putting it on my list of styles to try. Thanks!

celelu, that looks like it would definitely work for me, as the other problem I have with the French twist is developing this weird uneven puff on the top of my head! Thank you. I'll add this one to the list to try when my hair is dry. :)

Aditi
February 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Cinnamons Hair French Twist instruction is very easy and quick.

Heidi_234
February 6th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Also consider that if you seem to fail to do the french twist either way you try, it might be the hair toy that doesn't work for you. You'd think ficcares ware made to hold the french twist, but I just could make it work, and I thought my hair is too long. Then I got a hair fork and it holds like magic (and looks good too!). :grin: