PDA

View Full Version : Difference between breakage and new growth?

Kalyca
February 4th, 2010, 05:50 PM
okay, so I just noticed today when I was combing my hair in the mirror that I have A LOT of tiny little hairs sticking up everywhere where my virgin hair is(which is about 5 inches long now).. and I'm wondering if it's possible that I acquired some damage somehow? I've been really careful with my hair so I dont think its that. my real question is: how do you tell the difference between damaged/broken hairs and new baby hairs growing in? if they are new hairs, it might have been contributed to the biotin I was taking for a little less than a month..
and sorry if there was already a topic about this - didn't see one

BrightEyes
February 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry, I don't have much advice. But I have heard that new hairs tend to be tapered on the ends, and broken hairs are more blunt. But you'd probably need a magnifying glass to look at them:D. Wish I could be of more help.

Arctic
February 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
New growth has gently tapered tips, like the tips of cat's whiskers.

Broken hairs are blunt, often rough, and might have white dot or split end.

christine1989
February 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Those short little taipered hairs are probobly new ones :) My hair dresser said that they all start thinner and wispy when they emerge and get thicker as they grow out a bit more. I take biotin too and I notice the same thing. Right now I just snip off the wispy little tip and then leave them alone. Damaged hairs are more often split or "crunchy".

wilddaisies
February 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Oh... I've been cutting off those little tapers thinking they were dying hair or something!

Does having layers in your hair cause the top layer to be unhealthy compared to the rest? Because my top layer (even though now I thankfully know some of it is new growth) just seems too fuzzy and not very smooth compared to the rest. I am quite new to being able to identify whether my hair is really unhealthy or not... (looks at hair)

christine1989
February 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I personally don't like layers because they are hard to trim. I think it is the fact that they don't get adequate trimming that makes them unhealthy. With a straight hemline all of the ends can be trimmed and thus, remain healthy. You can keep your layers healthy though by going through and trimming the tips individually (time consuming but effective).

curlylocks85
February 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
okay, so I just noticed today when I was combing my hair in the mirror that I have A LOT of tiny little hairs sticking up everywhere where my virgin hair is(which is about 5 inches long now).. and I'm wondering if it's possible that I acquired some damage somehow? I've been really careful with my hair so I dont think its that. my real question is: how do you tell the difference between damaged/broken hairs and new baby hairs growing in? if they are new hairs, it might have been contributed to the biotin I was taking for a little less than a month..
and sorry if there was already a topic about this - didn't see one

I know what you mean. I get the same thing. The new growth has not been touched with scissors yet and therefore has no shape. This does not mean it is damaged. Unless you see the white dots or actuall splits then it is 100% healthy IMO.

wilddaisies
February 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Christine1989, this is great to know! I am thinking about maybe going back to a straight hemline... hmm... these hair decisions can be so hard!

Arctic
February 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh... I've been cutting off those little tapers thinking they were dying hair or something!

Does having layers in your hair cause the top layer to be unhealthy compared to the rest? Because my top layer (even though now I thankfully know some of it is new growth) just seems too fuzzy and not very smooth compared to the rest. I am quite new to being able to identify whether my hair is really unhealthy or not... (looks at hair)

Welcome to LHC!

Hair is already dead when it comes out of the scalp.
The canopy (ie. top layer) get usually more beating of the everyday life than other hairs under it, so it's often more weathered. Water from showers, sun, wind, combing and brushing, etc etc.

I don't think layers per se cause damage, but often once layered, the layers are difficult to re-shape or re-fresh and thus get trimmed less than the longest hairs (hemline). Though I have read many people saying their layers start look bad after a while, but I personally think it's because they are not dusted and kept in shape.

Your fuzzy canopy might be new growth, or maybe your hair is getting some wave now that you are giving it LHC style care, that wouldn't be rare :D

wilddaisies
February 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you Arctic! I will give my layers a dusting tonight. I have not been here very long, but am (excitedly!) learning so much! :)

Kalyca
February 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM
thanks for all of your replies guys.

Drosmand7
June 11th, 2014, 04:24 AM
I too started taking Biotin (dedicatedly) about 3 or 4 months ago and am noticing little fly-always on the top of my head. Whew thought it was breakage and was going to freak out :p