PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dye

p3_Arme
February 4th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hi, just a strange question, but I'm thinking of going from my lovely brown hair to purple (dark purple) that is, and was wondering if their were any good brands of dye.

Further to ask, DH suggestion really, he asked if there was a Raven hair dye, one which was predominately black with under tones of Purple, Green or Blue.

Thanks

artiste
February 4th, 2010, 03:28 PM
If you are looking for a non-permanent purple color with some good staying power, I can recommend Punky Color in Raven. It is a black color with purple undertones. I recently used it on my ( then pink) hair and it turned out wonderfully. Lots of purple, but not too intense. And it seemed to show more purple as the dye started to fade out. Now that it is mostly all gone, my hair is a nice dark brown. So it even looked good when faded ( at least in my opinion). And it smells lovely
One downside to this dye is the face that can be very messy to use, so some vaseline around the hairline and on the ears is a good idea. And rinse very carefully, and I found that the runoff from rinsing can color your skin a little as well.
Best of luck!

spidermom
February 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
There is a thread on the Mane Forum by Dementia1013; she has had purple hair for a long time (but will have to give it up for school). I believe she describes in her thread how she achieved it.

Sabayon
February 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I've found Punky Professional to give the best color and stay the longest. Avoid manic Panic, it looks like crap almost immediately. I also recommend purple or blue as green fades to a truly hideous color that I have never seen look good on anyone. However, to get a really great, saturated punk color you really need to bleach it first, in my experience (dying my own hair magenta and helping two of my roommates to dye theirs orange and blue, respectively). The basic method is to bleach your hair past the yellow stage, rinse out the bleach throughly then apply the Punky Professional immediately, with out pausing to condition your hair (the punky dye is gentle on hair, all the damage will come from the bleach). You can condition after rinsing that out of course. I just had to bleach my hair and and overnight SMT brought it almost completely back to normal condition.

p3_Arme
February 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Cool thanks for the tips and suggestions.

p3_Arme
February 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Where buy the way can I get Punky Color in Raven?
Thanks

Madame J
February 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM
There is a thread on the Mane Forum by Dementia1013; she has had purple hair for a long time (but will have to give it up for school). I believe she describes in her thread how she achieved it.

She actually has a blog post in which she describes the process in detail, including her touch-up routines, and how she washes to maintain brightest color.

Quixii
February 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
For my purple streaks (such as in my signature) I used Punky Color. I've had good success with that brand in general. :)

morguebabe
February 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I use Special Effects Deep Purple
http://www.amphigory.com/special_effects_hairdye.html