PDA

View Full Version : Static Electricity and Ends Tangling?

BlackfootHair
February 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Is there a correlation? My ends have been a giant PITA lately. The rest of my hair when running my hands through feel great. Then I get to the ends and my ends are extremely dry, tangled, and feel like....dry poky hay. I clarified today with my fave Nioxin clarifying shampoo to remove "chlorine and mineral buildup", and used a deep treatment with olive oil. It feels LOADS better today, but still annoying. I oiled, and tonight oiled even more. I noticed when I was combing my hair pre-oiling. Lots of static.

Could it be that the static is causing the ends to be gross? I was very tempted in thought about getting the bottom trimmed up and the layers just evened up as well. I felt like that several months ago when all my layers were flaring out, but kept growing. Eventually they started to curl back under, and I passed that hurdle. I'm thinking perhaps my theory on the static might be another hurdle.

I'm thinking a few days of CO with Suave. It has anti static ingredients, no? The quats? I'm thinking Vanilla Floral, or Cherry blossom. :)

GoddesJourney
February 3rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
First, I think it's the texture of your ends that's causing static. Second, you may try CO if you'd like. It will probably make a big difference. I know some people actually use fabric softener and swear by it. That could help you make it to a length where you feel good about trimming.

XeniaR
February 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
I was laughing the other day when I took my jacket off and noticed briefly that my hair was litterally horizontal with static to the jacket.

I use a little jobaba oil (one or two drops for my bra line length hair) and that takes care of the static and brittle feeling. I use Suave conditioner on the ends of my hair and Suave shampoo on the "crown" each time I wash. (Sometimes I only wash the crown of my hair, not even wetting the ends to "get by" if I have been working out or getting sweaty for some other reason.)

I used to spray my hair brush very lightly with hair spray for static when it was short, but it caused a big mess of stiff sticky stuff when I tried it this winter once. I will NEVER do that again.

I have used a dryer sheet too. I didn't notice any problems from that. When I used to wear skirts and dresses to work, I kept a dryer sheet in a zip lock baggie in my desk drawer for static skirt or slip sticking.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
The climate around here is too moist for static, but my hair still tangles like crazy. Sometimes I get so tired of being careful and feel like ripping through those tangles and showing my hair who is boss around here, then I remember. It is.

BlackfootHair
February 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah....I'll try CO tomorrow, and hopefully that will cure it's bull headedness. Maybe my hair is just being a pain because it's grotesquely dry here. I'm sick of winter.

I haven't really been giving it tlc this winter like I should. Perhaps it's paying me back.

But if it doesn't straighten it's act up, I will have to resort to scissors. lol

spidermom
February 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
I love your henna-hands, BFH.

GuinevereMay
February 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
I used to have really bad static. Once I started using a horn comb, the static went away. I have no idea why that would be, but, hey, if it works, it works.

BlackfootHair
February 3rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you. :)

Okay, I dug up pics of my last haircut. A YEAR ago. lol

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/black%20hair/th_misc022.jpg (http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m195/blackfoot_hair/black%20hair/misc022.jpg)

And now (plus an inch)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3074&pictureid=58275

That puts things in perspective. Even if I get a trim, I still will have lots of length left I didn't have a year ago. And after a year without a trim, it might really need it. We'll see how the CO goes.

BlackfootHair
February 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
So after an oiling with Dabur Amla Gold overnight, and a CO with Suave, my hair feels happier. Lets see what it acts like once my hair dries. Hopefully better. I may have to make CO an every-other-day occurance. For now, my hair feels happy. Let's hope it dries curly and cute. I have a function to go to! lol

BlackfootHair
February 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Okay, hair is now dry from CO earlier. The ends do feel much better. Still a little bit dry, but not so "poky". And definitely not as tangled. Perhaps I had cone buildup on it? I've been using very heavy cone conditioner. I wonder. Either way, Suave conditioner removes cones right? Because of the behentrimonium chloride? After I clarified it felt better, and now after CO it feels even more better. I'm wondering...

My hair is slightly damp still, so I don't have anything new to report on the static end. I did use some DVCO in it tonight though. I'm so bad. Now that it has gotten some length back, I want to wear it down for warmth, but that's probably causing my ends to hate me.