PDA

View Full Version : Amodimethicone?

whiteisle
February 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
I used a leave-in/detangler that has this cone in it this morning. I am wondering if it requires sulfates to remove or would a shampoo bar do the trick?

nuxa
February 4th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Amodimethicone it's not water soluble so you would need some sort of cleanser to wash it off.
I'm not a poo bar user and I'm not very familiar with it so I don't really know it's "washing power" lol. But if you're a poo bar user I'd say do a poo bar wash and use only the SLS poo if you feel there is some kind of bildup later. That way you may avoid unnecessary damage.
But that's just my humble opinion :shrug:
Hope I could help :flowers:

baobhan sith
February 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Yes, it will require SLS.
Sometimes short answers are all that's needed!
I suppose a poo bar might eventually get rid of it, but if you want to wash it straight out you'll need to use a SLS shampoo. I wish I'd discovered this so much earlier.

kittensoupnrice
February 4th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I did not notice significant build up of amodimethicone when using a leave-in with that in it when I was using it in conjunction with my poo bars. However, I only did this for perhaps 4 or 5 washes before deciding I preferred not using the leave-in, so I might not have used it long enough to experience any?

Roseate
February 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, it will need SLS. Several washes before it's all gone, probably. Amodimethicone is a modified silicone designed to stick to the hair quite stubbornly.

Once the amine-functional silicone is deposited onto the surface of the hair, it spreads out and forms a cross linked film when it dries. This cross linked film can last through several washings, which is considered to be advantageous in most applications.

Source (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)

JenniferNoel
February 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I used amodimethicone once a while back, and I don't think I'll use it again. It took me about two SLS washes to get the [insert mean word here] stuff out of my hair.
It shouldn't do too much damage to your hair though. I just try to avoid using sticky cones by all means.
Good luck. :)

boomygrrl
February 4th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I love amodimethicone...or I should say my hair loves it.
Amodimethicone doesn't build up like some of the harsher cones (dimethicone) but if you really want to get it out, you will need a sulfate.
The good news is that you don't have to use a sulfate just because you use the a-cone...you can continue using your shampoo bars, but you will eventually need to use a sulfate if you want to get it all out.