PDA

View Full Version : tangles :(

Kristin
February 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
I am so frustrated with my hair. I have been wearing it up much more than I did before joining TLHC (like maybe 5 days a week, whereas before I was only doing that like 1 or 2). I do think that the condition has improved and that my ends are much softer than before. Last weekend, I wore my hair down for ONE day as I was seeing an old friend and wanted to show it off (an old high school BF, haha). Anyway, I made sure to use a coney serum to keep it from tangling. It looked soft, shiny, and straight all day.

When I got home that night, I was watching TV and running my fingers through it and there was a huge mat/wad of tangles underneath, on the back of my neck. This happens sometimes when my hair is long, but I thought it would stop since I've been taking such good care of it and used lots of cones for slip. I greased the mat up with tons of coney serum and carefully detangled it with my fingers.

What the heck? Anyone have a solution? I don't see the point in having long hair if I can't even wear it down every once in awhile!:mad:

Rhiannon7
February 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
It always happens to me, tangles are my enemy too. did you spend time in the wind? or had a high neck sweater or shirt? for me tangles get really bad when i wear turtle neck sweaters or high neck shirts, the nape of my hair gets all tangled and horrible. if this happens again just brush your fingers or a comb through your hair more often, it is the best i can advice. take a few minutes away from your friend and run your fingers or a comb through the hair, you can even do it in front of your friends, just keep speaking and smiling and run the fingers through the hair, if they ask let them know your hair tangles easily and you need to keep tangles as few as possible.

Anlbe
February 3rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Ah the bird nest in the nape of the neck. I know it well. Like Rhiannon7 I get this if I wear clothes, particularly synthetic with a high neck at the back. Also some of my necklaces can cause hideous tangles there. For me jojoba oil there works the best to stop the tangles.

Anje
February 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I don't get bad neck tangles, but one solution I've heard is to section it off and braid it so that it's contained and hidden under the loose hair.

K_Angel
February 3rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
I get the same kind of tangles. The only thing I've found that helps, AFTER the fact, is to use some Cowboy Magic. It makes working the knots out of my hair much easier. And if I don't have to use a lot, I don't have to look like a greaseball until next wash.

It's not a solution for tangles, but it helps when you get a big one to work out.

I've also found a good S&D works for preventing them. And if there are a few hairs that are particularly troublesome, I just cut them to the length that they no longer tangle. Yes, you have an uneven area, but in the scheme of things, that's never bothered me too much. :)

HTH! :blossom:

chargersfan
February 3rd, 2010, 11:23 PM
I get the same kind of tangles. The only thing I've found that helps, AFTER the fact, is to use some Cowboy Magic. It makes working the knots out of my hair much easier. And if I don't have to use a lot, I don't have to look like a greaseball until next wash.

It's not a solution for tangles, but it helps when you get a big one to work out.

I've also found a good S&D works for preventing them. And if there are a few hairs that are particularly troublesome, I just cut them to the length that they no longer tangle. Yes, you have an uneven area, but in the scheme of things, that's never bothered me too much. :)

HTH! :blossom:

I have to second the S&D for the nape of the neck - I have discovered I get horrible splits both around my "halo" and at the nape of my neck - and both places are where I tangle the most. If I keep both trimmed of splits it helps a lot.

I wear my hair down about every other day, because I wash it and air dry it (and it takes all day to dry). I run my fingers through it all day to keep it from tangling throughout the day, when I'm in my car or when sitting and chatting w/ friends. It helps a lot.

Kristin
February 4th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I did wear a turtleneck sweater that day. I dunno what fabric it was, but definitely partially synthetic. I thought about braiding just the neck area and hiding it underneath, but I don't have the thickest hair. I don't think I need an S&D; I've looked for splits and haven't found any. Maybe I'll just have to deal with the constant detangling...sigh.

bumblebums
February 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I did wear a turtleneck sweater that day. I dunno what fabric it was, but definitely partially synthetic. I thought about braiding just the neck area and hiding it underneath, but I don't have the thickest hair. I don't think I need an S&D; I've looked for splits and haven't found any. Maybe I'll just have to deal with the constant detangling...sigh.

I've noticed that some fabrics attract hair more than others. I assume the ones that hair sticks to are the worst for tangling, and the slick ones are okay. So it doesn't have to be synthetics vs. natural fabrics--for me, a fine polyester fiber shirt works better than a cotton knit sweater. People here recommend wearing silk on hair-down days, but maybe just paying attention to which fabrics are hair-clingy can do the trick?