PDA

View Full Version : I went no-cone...and then my wave relaxed?

Bellona
February 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I decided to try going no-cone a little over 2 weeks ago. I used a strong SLS clarifying shampoo, and then used a no-cone natural conditioner. I continued washing about twice a week with a gentler no-cone shampoo and using the no-cone conditioner.

Well, I immediately noticed that my 2c/3a hair was straighter, more like 2a. The "dirtier" it got, the straighter it got, and the day before washing it is almost 1c. At first I thought it was just the weather, but now I'm certain that for some reason it flattened my hair out! It doesn't look limp at all, though, still thick and bouncy but just straighter. I like the effect, because I can't get 2a hair without a blowdryer, but I'm also really confused.

Aren't cones supposed to build up and weigh your waves/curls down? Does this mean my hair likes cones? It FEELS softer, but at the same time it LOOKS less shiny and more flyaway/fuzzy at the ends and is straighter.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, what did you do? Should I just use up the products and go back to using cones for a while?

Sissy
February 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
double post sorry!

Tangles
February 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Some cones make my hair curlier and others, straighter. Also, it's possible your old shampoo had protein. Protein always brings out my curl.

Sissy
February 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
well, I think that traditionally cones are known to weight the hair down a bit and make it more smooth.

I used to think cones would make my hair straighter, but now I'm not so sure. I have been using mainly cone-free or products with very little amounts of cones such as Yes To Carrots and JASON. I have been using Camellia Oil or Nightshades Hair Salve as a leave-in and my waves seem to be gone. Personally, I am happy about this :)

I would say that if you don't like the way your hair looks off cones you could always go back on them or just use cone-free conditioners but switch to coney leave-ins.

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Actually, during my 2 week no cone my hair was fairly straight by the end (I have pics in my album.. the really wavy ones are braid waves). Then yesterday I washed with cones and my hair was somewhat wavier.

Were you using oils in your hair? I was using slightly more than normal (not a whole lot more though) and that is all I can think of that would contribute there.

jera
February 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Cones will coat your hairshafts and make them appear straighter as a result, but cummulatively they can have a negative effect causing crunchies and velcro ends. I'd take a wait and see approach because many members here have had good luck with long term cone use. Maybe you're one of them.:)

LadyJennifer
February 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
I went no cones about 2 years ago. Instantly, my hair was straighter. I had just had a baby and was breastfeeding, so I figured it was my hormones, and I've been breastfeeding and/or prego since. I recently changed condish to AO GPB condish (was using Giovanni Smooth as Silk) and my curl came back! The only big difference was that AO has lots of protein. So apparently my hair likes protein.

Queen Olympias
February 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I agree with some of the others about cones making hair straighter. I have stopped using cones and am finding that my hair has a slight wave that was "hidden" by the cones. I have never heard of hair becoming straighter from not using cones. Interesting. Could there be other factors involved?

Bellona
February 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone!

I looked at my old shampoo and conditioner bottles, and they BOTH had protein in them, along with the smoothing serum I was using.

I never even thought of protein being a contributing factor.

Does anyone know of any cone free conditioners with protein? Or should I just do a protein treatment once a week or something if I want my curls back?

Roseate
February 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Are you getting enough moisture? Many basic cone-free conditioners are not very moisturizing, and for me personally I lose curl if my hair's not moisturized, cone or no-cone. Maybe try a DT with whatever you've got on hand (your condish + oil, aloe, honey, whatever) and see if that helps?

As to protein, Giovanni makes several no-cone conditioners with protein; I know their "50/50 balanced conditioner" has it, and their "direct leave-in".

little_cherry
February 4th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Have you tried clarifying your hair to remove the coney buildup? I had this issue when I stopped coney products. I found that strong shampoos actually increased the oiliness of my hair and didn't remove cones :) I just used baking soda rinse followed by Apple Cider Vinegar rinse and my hair was back to normal..well, wavy normal.

melikai
February 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
How funny, silicones and protein both make my hair straighter - so, directly the opposite of what your hair does!

Fractalsofhair
February 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Aubrey Organics has some protein conditioners. As are a lot of the Suave natural ones. They often say with protein or fortifying. The coconut one has a lot of protein in it.

My favorite conditioner in the world, Alaffia shea and honey has loads of protein in it, but also a lot of oils.

boomygrrl
February 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm wondering if when you went "no-cone" did you also go "no-sulfate" at the same time?
It might not be because you're not using cones...it might be because you're getting build-up in other ways and you're not using sulfate to get it out.
Cones typically relax the hair...so, it seems counter-intuitive...that's why I'm thinking there's another factor going on that may not have been considered.
Then again, maybe certain cones had a curling effect with you ??? and not having them relaxed your hair.

Bellona
February 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I used the baking soda/apple cider thing little cherry recommended (thank you!!!!), tried a different conditioner, and added a bit of castor and jojoba to my hair (it seems all other oils make my skin break out), and that seemed to bring my curl back a bit.

Thank you everyone who responded to this thread. I didn't know it was a bit more complicated than simply getting rid of the cones. My hair feels so nice now...especially the virgin non dyed part! I think it's the bleached half of it that likes the cones so much.

At least now I know what shampoo/conditioner to use if I want to straighten out my hair :)

share801
February 6th, 2010, 01:31 PM
My hair is also straighter with no cones, and I use sulfate shampoo.