PDA

View Full Version : SMT with every wash?

Katze
April 29th, 2008, 12:30 AM
When I was first here and lamenting my dry, damaged, frizzy hair, several people told me to do an SMT with every wash. I did this for about 2 months in the fall of '06, and it REALLY improved the state of my hair.

After trying lots of different things (CO, WO, no 'cones, oiling, misting) I have settled into a phase where I know what my hair likes.

But after last night's SMT and my thicker-feeling, shiny, really nice hair, I am considering going back to more frequent SMTing (have been every month/every other month). SMT is one of the best things for my hair, and I am thinking of doing it every wash or every other wash (so 3-4x a month).

Do other longer-term LHCers do this? Any adverse effects?

thanx!

Katze

Nat242
April 29th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I *was* doing a SMT almost every second day (I wash every second day but sometimes didn't have the time for a deep treatment); the SMT was the second 'C' in my CWC routine.

It worked very well for a while, and really helped my hair, but then it started to become lank and greasy - much like over-oiled hair. I cut them back to once every week or two.

Even that became too much for my hair...it doesn't even like conditioner anymore. I only shampoo the roots (with diluted poo) and the rest of my hair is WO, unless it feels a little dry, then I lightly oil.

Try it for a while, it won't do any harm, and your hair is bound to let you know if it is over-moisturised.

-- Natalie

spidermom
April 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I haven't done SMT in months. It's a hassle to assemble all the ingredients, mix it, warm it, etc. I've got a Nature's Gate mask for aging hair that works beautifully; I do that about once every two weeks. I tried my DD's mask for color-treated hair last time, however, thinking my hair needed more protein, and it was awful, although DD's color-treated hair drinks it up.

Hayat
April 29th, 2008, 08:10 AM
I'm going to start doing more SMT's too! SMT is just great, and my new routine (starting from tomorrow) will be as follows:

Wednesdays: Rince with rice water (haven't tried this before, but hope this will work well with my hair), followed by tiny bit of coconut oil in ends when hair is still wet/damp.

Sundays: SMT with dark syrup instead of honey (I think SMT is good as both wash and for moisture treatment - I never use any poo or anything else when I do SMT), followed by tiny bit of coconut oil in ends when hair is still wet/damp.

In between: Mist with WO, and perhaps tiny bit of coconut oil in ends.

Every second month (or so) clarify with BS/ACV.

I'm also thinking about throwing away my brush, and only use a wide toothed comb or just fingers (want to buy a cood woodden one, or maybe even a horn one if I can get hold of such).

Then hennadigo when needed, and perhaps a cassia treatment as for thickening/moisture/shine every now and then (if my DBF dares to help me :)).

Elsewhere I'll get hold of a couple of silk pillowcases.

Ok - so this did not really answer your question on experience with regular use of SMT - I just got a little carried away presenting my new routine here... You know, I'm kind of excited about it... *lol* Sorry... :)

justgreen
April 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I used SMT religiously when I first found it. I don't use it as often now, but boy when I do it makes me wonder why I forget to use it! I'm going for an SMT today, thanks Katze!

wimsey
April 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I do a "mini" SMT every time I wash which is about 3 times a month these days. It's the SMT formula but I only leave it on about 5 minutes while I finish my shower. It's not as good as leaving it on for a longer time with heat, but it's still leaves my hair quite nice.

kwaniesiam
April 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I've been thinking about it since my hair is rather damaged right now, but was afraid of over doing it and shocking my hair from too many things at once, since for 3 months it's ad nothing but Dr. Bonner's soap once a week and I just jumped back into regular 'poo and conditioner with some coconut oil and aloe. Would it be too much to start SMTs, or should I wait at least a week? My hair loved them before, so I'd assume they'd still be happy with it. I'm using the same kind of conditioner I used to for it.

Curlsgirl
April 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I would just do it and you'll be able to tell if and when your hair gets overconditioned if it does. I don't do it often anymore because I did it a lot at first and it did great until my hair got more moisturized and then I didn't need it it seemed. I still do it occasionally though. It doesn't seem to do anything much to my hair anymore though for some reason. :shrug:

Katze
April 30th, 2008, 02:27 AM
thanks everyone!

In my case it is my velcro-like ends. They will probably always remain a problem until I cut them off, but SMT and 'cones help mask them a bit. Maybe I won't 'need' it so much when I have even more healthy growth.

Spidermom, I agree that it's a hassle. The dripping is also a hassle for me, BUT the results really do make a big difference.

I am going to WO wash next wash then SMT again when I use shampoo again.

akka naeda
April 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Katze, you don't need to put it on wet hair. I put it on dry hair and then rinse it off. I also don't warm the mixture. I use it every time I "wash", but since it made my scalp gunky, I now only put it on the length and use shampoo on my scalp.

missy60
April 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I havent done an SMT in forever it seems. When my hair was so damaged I used SMT for my washing method. It really cleaned my hair and made it so shiney, but I did have to add a little heavier conditioner to my ends or it would be hard to detangle. I then started doing SMT with Biolage conditioner and that solved the problem of having to follow up with another conditioner. I really need to do one though my ends are getting a little bad I hope my honey hasnt changed to sugar. Can you just heat it up and still use it?

cindy58
April 30th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Katze, you don't need to put it on wet hair. I put it on dry hair and then rinse it off. I also don't warm the mixture. I use it every time I "wash", but since it made my scalp gunky, I now only put it on the length and use shampoo on my scalp.

I'm starting to think I should do SMTs *before* shampooing. I must not be rinsing it out well enough. I did one last night and I'm sitting here now with crispy ends, though I'm pretty sure that my next regular CWC will take care of that.

I'm not finding it too much of a pain to mix SMTs up -- someone recommended mixing the honey and condish, nuking it briefly, and then blending the aloe in. That seemed to work. I also squeezed the water out of my hair before putting it on, then I didn't drip so much.

NenNa
May 1st, 2008, 12:35 PM
I hope my honey hasnt changed to sugar. Can you just heat it up and still use it?No problem. Honey goes crystalline with time, and heating genty makes the crystals dissolve again. They've even found honey in old tombs, that's been in perfect condition after 4000 years...

missy60
May 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
No problem. Honey goes crystalline with time, and heating genty makes the crystals dissolve again. They've even found honey in old tombs, that's been in perfect condition after 4000 years...

Wow thats a long time I dont thing I have had mine that long...lol. Thanks

Carolyn
May 2nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
I don't think it would be harmful to do an SMT every wash. I can't imagine my hair being over moisturized :D It can't suck up enough moisture. I can over cone it but I can't over moisturize it. If you hair seems to be getting too lank with SMT, you can always just do a CWC or a regular old S&C wash the next time. I think we (me included!) that a lot of hair problems can be solved with using a real shampoo now and then. You have to do what's best for you.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry, but what is SMT? :hmm:

Larki
November 10th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Sorry, but what is SMT? :hmm:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I don't do SMTs, mostly because I'm currently out of aloe vera, but I do pre-poo deep conditioning or at least pre-poo oiling before every wash.

Strands
November 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I don't do SMTs, mostly because I'm currently out of aloe vera, but I do pre-poo deep conditioning or at least pre-poo oiling before every wash.

Thank you!! I am trying to get into pre-pooing. I am thinking I might just try doing it with my conditioner first and move from there. What do you think? I am just not ready for something like SMT at this point. It just sounds a little overwhelming to me. Or is it really good? Hmmm

Larki
November 10th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Thank you!! I am trying to get into pre-pooing. I am thinking I might just try doing it with my conditioner first and move from there. What do you think? I am just not ready for something like SMT at this point. It just sounds a little overwhelming to me. Or is it really good? Hmmm

I mean, it's definitely more work than just using conditioner. :p Conditioner would work fine!

Alissalocks
November 11th, 2016, 07:14 AM
I've been doing a modified SMT (no aloe) before my midweek wash every week for about 6 weeks. On the weekends, I do an overnight oil treatment before my weekend wash also.

But I'm not an LHC long timer, so.... :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 25th, 2016, 07:17 PM
I try to SMT at least once every 2 weeks. I only do it when I clarify, I feel my hair benefits more from that.
When I try to SMT on dry hair or co-washed hair, the results just aren't as great. But I guess since I co wash, the moisture isnt a big deal because I have enough so I can go a lot longer.