PDA

View Full Version : too much of a good thing??

Pakeezah
February 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I oiled my hair two days ago....let me rephrase that...I drenched my hair in oil two days ago in order to give myself a hot oil treatment. A couple of hours later, I tried washing the oiliness out with my Jason henna hilights shampoo (no sls) No luck in getting off the grease on my ends.

Used Shikakai, Neem, Amla and Tulsi as a mix to clean the hair. Left the paste on for about 15 mins and then washed my hair. The scalp area got fixed but not the greasy ends. The whole day my ends looked like they were drying out!

Didnt wash my hair yesterday and instead tried redistributing the oil to the scalp area which was not greasy.

Today I tried washing out the oils from my length with Jason. No luck. Tried Nirvana SLS free shampoo. No luck. Tried Nirvana SLS free shampoo again. No luck.

Succumbed to the evil temptation known a SLS shampoo and even that took two attempts to get rid of the oil.

It really felt like I had soaked it in a deep fryer. The oils would just not go away.

I know what I did wrong. I used too much oil. What I want to know is.....was there any other method of removing the oil without using SLS?

Aeon F.
February 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I use CO to remove my oilings- and I do heavy oilings the night before each wash, plus usually a lot of shea butter (nightshade's hair salve) heavy on my ends too and I have no problem removing it all easily with CO (no shampoo or sls required!). What I do is use V05 extra body condish, and use tons of of it, like 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle and fully coat and saturate all of my hair. Wrap my hair up in a loose bun on top of my head and cover tightly with a plastic bag, then put my twisty turbie towel over top (going on the assumption that keeping it warm helps loosen the oils, etc) and then I go off and do something (read, do housework, surf the 'net) for 20-30 minutes and then I go take my shower and throughly rinse out my hair. I often go "overboard" in my oiling too, and I've never had a problem removing the oil (coconut usually by the way) with CO. Also, it cleans my hair too. win-win.

try that & see if that works for you. :flower:

Topaz
In my own experience, washing your hair with condition will get too much oil out better than washing with shampoo. I don't know why, but that's what works for me.

s_tresses
I find that a no cone CO only wash works great at removing oils from the length, even better than SLS shampoos.

What proportions did you use for the Amla, neem, shikakai and tulsi mixture? I think you may have just put it on your scalp thinking that the effect will carry to the bottom when you rinse it. But you proabably had too much oil.

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I had the same problem once as well. Every other time I had no issues though.. this was the difference: the time I had the problem, I put the oil in my hair wet and I hadn't mixed honey in before warming it.

For whatever reason, either the honey or putting it on dry hair makes all of the difference.

trillcat
February 3rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I use CO to remove my oilings- and I do heavy oilings the night before each wash, plus usually a lot of shea butter (nightshade's hair salve) heavy on my ends too and I have no problem removing it all easily with CO (no shampoo or sls required!). What I do is use V05 extra body condish, and use tons of of it, like 1/3 to 1/2 of the bottle and fully coat and saturate all of my hair. Wrap my hair up in a loose bun on top of my head and cover tightly with a plastic bag, then put my twisty turbie towel over top (going on the assumption that keeping it warm helps loosen the oils, etc) and then I go off and do something (read, do housework, surf the 'net) for 20-30 minutes and then I go take my shower and throughly rinse out my hair. I often go "overboard" in my oiling too, and I've never had a problem removing the oil (coconut usually by the way) with CO. Also, it cleans my hair too. win-win.

try that & see if that works for you. :flower:

I do pretty much the same thing, except my oil of choice is EVOO, and I use VO5 Tea Therapy condish. Other than that, same thing and I have never had a problem getting the oil out, even in a "Whoops, way too much oil!" situation. It happens. :)
I would definitely reccomend giving this a try next time you oil.

christine1989
February 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
I have the same problem when I use too much oil. It takes 2-3 SLS shampoo washes to get it out! If you use just a small amount (no more than a teaspoon) yor hair will get the same beneficial results from the oil and it will be easy to wash out with just conditioner. Having each hair lightly coated is just as good as drenching it anyway :)

Pakeezah
February 3rd, 2010, 08:25 PM
What is CO? Sorry for the dumb sounding question but as a newbie, I havent completely become familiarized with acronyms here :hmm:

Aeon F.
February 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
CO= Conditioner Only.

-used as a method of cleaning hair without the use of shampoo :)

Pakeezah
February 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
CO= Conditioner Only.

-used as a method of cleaning hair without the use of shampoo :)

Thanks so much! This place is the best!!

Right then!!....off to oil my head again in order to experiment with CO tomorrow!:D

spidermom
February 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
So odd. I've heard others complain of this, but I've never had trouble removing oil from my hair with shampoo. I almost always dilute the shampoo, and I've used both gentle, natural types and SLS or ALS types. They all work. At most, I've had to lather twice. I wonder what makes such a difference for people.

halo_tightens
February 4th, 2010, 07:38 AM
So odd. I've heard others complain of this, but I've never had trouble removing oil from my hair with shampoo. I almost always dilute the shampoo, and I've used both gentle, natural types and SLS or ALS types. They all work. At most, I've had to lather twice. I wonder what makes such a difference for people.

Me too, spidermom!

I've been known to completely drench my hair in oil, and it always washes right out with no special effort on my part. What does make such a difference?!

Fethenwen
February 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hmm, I too have had troubles just like the OP mentioned, seems I have that sort going on at the moment. Nothing but CO does the trick, but sometimes even that doesn't help, last time I had a hard time washing out the conditioner! I guess I must have leaved it in for too long.