PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you eat for your hair?

elina333
February 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Ok so after joining this site I've become more obsessed (if possible :p) with my hair and to grow it long. I've been taking vitamins for my hair for quite a while but this last month I've started to really think about what I eat (in order to get the best nutrition possible for my hair).

I now eat:
- Fresh blueberries or raspberries every day (tons of antioxidants)
- Lots of high quality protein (fish, eggs etc)
- Whole grain bread and pasta (I used to be on a no-carb diet)
- Molasses (after reading a thread about it here :D)
- Lots of omega-3 (salmon, tuna, flax seeds etc)
:yumm:

Have you added (or removed) anything from your diet just for the sake of your hair? Cheese perhaps? :cheese:

Babyfine
February 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
I basically try to eat as healthy as I can for the sake of my body, and try to get in some exercise as well.I"m trying to age the best I can. Hopefully this healthy eating also benefits my hair.
I try to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, milk,green tea, and since I don't eat a lot of fish(but do like salmon and tuna) I try to take a cod liver oil pill every day. I try to eat of lot of yogurt. I eat a salad every day.
My only vice is I like my caffeinated coffee in the morning, but I hope the healthy eating offsets that. I also take GNC vitamins every other day to offset some days I don't eat as well.

Crazycatlady
February 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
I eat lots of apples and raw carrots for snacking. I love to munch on something and these seem to satisfy me and they're healthy too. I also eat bananas every day...I recently learned they have Biotin. Cool!

Babyfine~I'm with you on the coffee!! Wish I could kick the habit, but I love my java!!

A word on protein...I do try to get 40 to 50 grams of protein in every day. Almonds every day along with eggs, yogurt, string cheese, and meats.

Thanks!

CavyQueen
February 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Cucumbers!!!! I juice them. They are very high in silica which helps your body utilize other minerals such as magnesium and copper. It also helps our connective tissues retain moisture. So, if it's not cucumbers, find another source of silica :)

Kirry-Folk
February 4th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Millet, quinoa, brazil nuts, and shellfish. :D

Qadupae
February 6th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Mostly just healthy eating for me too, like Babyfine. Coffee is my vice, but I work nights and need that 8 oz cup in my morning to get me going. I am also trying to cut down on sugars since if they aren't that good for my body and metabolism, I don't think they can be all that great for my hair either. Its hard though, I do love my sweets ^_^ Stevia is a lifesaver there.

Sammich
February 6th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Eggs, eggs, eggs! :D MM. I love egggsss! Oh and cheese, cheese cheese...Cucumbers.. cucumbers... and any meat that's served at dinner I eat it all up! :)
Beaaanssssss and sausaagesss... I've been taking them from ASDA for ages now they have this 95p deal! ;) Ooohhh... So good. Heinz. @_@ Not sure if it's good for hair though but it's got protein right? ;) Yum.

Ah yes, I'm a coffee addict too... >> I hope in some way it is pretty healthy for hair. Lol!

Edit:
Isn't CHEESE good for hair? I think it was proven that eating cheese actually made your growth faster in some experiment.

Heidi_234
February 6th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Ah yes, I'm a coffee addict too... >> I hope in some way it is pretty healthy for hair. Lol!
Sorry, the common advice is to cut down or quit drinking coffee. But, uh, not going to happen. :coffee: :p

Sammich
February 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Sorry, the common advice is to cut down or quit drinking coffee. But, uh, not going to happen. :coffee: :p

Oh damn, you shouldn't have brought me back to reality! :p
*Loves on the smilie* :coffee: :coffee:
What's so bad about coffee for hair anywho? ;)

whiteisle
February 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I've just recently (today! lol) gotten back to my green smoothies. Ahhhhh....the addiction begins again. :D

And I'm another egg fanactic - love 'em!

Lots of fresh veggies and fruits and a moderate amount of raw nuts can't hurt either. Along with lean meats and salmon, my absolute LOVE! Yum! That's basically it.

I mainly started eating like this last year when I was exercising regularly and it really made a difference in my body. Then I became pregnant and I continued and it made a HUGE difference in the pregnancy and the recovery. HUGE! So after a few months leave from all that wonderful living I'm trying to get back to it. :)

Heidi_234
February 6th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Oh damn, you shouldn't have brought me back to reality! :p
*Loves on the smilie* :coffee: :coffee:
What's so bad about coffee for hair anywho? ;)
I'm not entirely sure. I know I must have my morning coffee so I didn't even get to the bottom of this. I *think* it got something to do with dehydrating. I know many people don't make sure they drink enough water, and still they drink coffee. Maybe coffee hinders the absorption of some important nutrients? You should google it and find out.

elina333
February 6th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm not entirely sure. I know I must have my morning coffee so I didn't even get to the bottom of this. I *think* it got something to do with dehydrating. I know many people don't make sure they drink enough water, and still they drink coffee. Maybe coffee hinders the absorption of some important nutrients? You should google it and find out.

Isnt it because it restrains the blood flow somehow? I have a friend of mine who is a work out freak and he doesnt drink coffee since he says its bad for your blood flow and hence, oxygen transportation... But I've heard coffee prevents cancer..? :confused:

Heidi_234
February 6th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Isnt it because it restrains the blood flow somehow? I have a friend of mine who is a work out freak and he doesnt drink coffee since he says its bad for your blood flow and hence, oxygen transportation... But I've heard coffee prevents cancer..? :confused:
If it's true then it's definitely explains why it is advised to cut down on coffee. :agree:

Speckla
February 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I've added more eggs for protein and biotin.

curlycrown
February 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I have notice that most of you are eating eggs. about how many eggs are you eating per day. Are you only eating the whites?

I have started eating healthier by adding veggies and more lean meat. I also dont drink anything but water and 100% fruit juice. I also only eat whole grains. I also take vitamins. I think im gonna add cucumber even though I dont like them very much. Thanks for the tip ladies!

talecon
February 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I eat more meats but I was eating more meats anyway because I put myself on a high protein diet to gain more muscle (this includes tuna and other kinds of fish). I'm going to start taking more vitamins, well I did start taking my iron pills finally because I'm anemic and once i get a multivitamin started (with biotin) I wont have to take the iron pills anymore. i'm also wanting to eat more fruits and veggies. I love fruits but I haven't eaten any in a while so time to get back to that. And nuts, I want to add more nuts and beans to my diet too.

contradiction
February 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I too started eating eggs for my hair, and lots of them! I eat mine hardboiled or poached.
I've defenitely ntoticed a differenct. I love protein!

talecon
February 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
oh and I'm also a caffeine addict - nothing will take my caffeine away!:laugh:

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cheese! Okay, not really. I actually don't eat special foods for my hair. ^.^;; I'm a newbie to this care-care stuff. I guess I'll look into doing that now?

yellowchariot
February 7th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Ok so after joining this site I've become more obsessed (if possible :p) with my hair and to grow it long. I've been taking vitamins for my hair for quite a while but this last month I've started to really think about what I eat (in order to get the best nutrition possible for my hair).

I now eat:
- Fresh blueberries or raspberries every day (tons of antioxidants)
- Lots of high quality protein (fish, eggs etc)
- Whole grain bread and pasta (I used to be on a no-carb diet)
- Molasses (after reading a thread about it here :D)
- Lots of omega-3 (salmon, tuna, flax seeds etc)
:yumm:

Have you added (or removed) anything from your diet just for the sake of your hair? Cheese perhaps? :cheese:

Hey elina, you've got the right idea! Protein is your friend! I even recommend buying protein shakes/mixes with the amino acids, and drinking them in-between your meals. Vitamins E and Biotin. Also WATER! Water is probably the most underrated substance you can have! If you don't exercise, I highly suggest doing some kind of activity. Anything really, because all of these are key elements that aid your body in being healthy, thus producing healthy hair. :thumbsup:

elina333
February 7th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hey elina, you've got the right idea! Protein is your friend! I even recommend buying protein shakes/mixes with the amino acids, and drinking them in-between your meals. Vitamins E and Biotin. Also WATER! Water is probably the most underrated substance you can have! If you don't exercise, I highly suggest doing some kind of activity. Anything really, because all of these are key elements that aid your body in being healthy, thus producing healthy hair. :thumbsup:

Hmm yeah I prob should try to get even more protein actually, cuz I work out 4-5 days a week so I think my muscles get most of it... Should eat moe so something is left for my hair as well! :D

elina333
February 7th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I have notice that most of you are eating eggs. about how many eggs are you eating per day. Are you only eating the whites?

I have started eating healthier by adding veggies and more lean meat. I also dont drink anything but water and 100% fruit juice. I also only eat whole grains. I also take vitamins. I think im gonna add cucumber even though I dont like them very much. Thanks for the tip ladies!

I try to keep it sown to two eggs/day... But sometimes I eat three or four... :o

Usually I eat the whole egg but if Im making an omelette (or just eating more than two) I only eat the whites. The yolk are high in vitamins AND fat, and two egg yolks contain 100% of your RDI of fat.

So go easy on the yolks if you eat more than two per day :D

Babyfine
February 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Same here-I don't know if I even want to get to the bottom of it.
I think it may be something like it deplets thiamine, ort some B-vitamin.
I take lots of vitamins and eat healthy and drink water so I hope that offsets it.
I'm not quitting coffee anytime soon.

spidermom
February 7th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I don't eat anything in particular for my hair, but I do try to stick with a healthy diet for my whole body. I'm specifically trying to get my consumption of animal fats (like cheese and beef) down because my cholesterol was a little high at my last physical examination, plus I'm too fat.

Sissy
February 7th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I think an overall balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fatty fish like salmon and low-fat dairy will help keep the hair and body healthy.

I try to exercise everyday and I make sure to drink lots of water. I also try to get a lot of protein and one way i start my day off with protein is through a vegetarian protein shake for breakfast. For supplements, I take GNC Women's Ultra Multi-vitamin, MSM, Biotin, Evening Primrose Oil, and Fish Oils daily for hair health/growth.

I eat fish several times per week. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids and is a high-quality protein source filled with vitamin B-12 & iron. You can also get essential fatty acids from canola oil and soy products (I love vanilla silk soy milk).

I try to eat two raw carrots everyday as they contain vitamin a, which is essential for healthy scalp (healthy scalp = shiny and well conditioned head of hair.

I try to eat cucumber slices everyday (cucumbers are great on tuna sandwiches) as they contain silica, which is great for your hair, nails, and skin. If you don't have cucumbers in the house, other sources of silica include alfalfa sprouts, beets, brown rice, bell peppers, soybeans, leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, cooked dried beans and peas and whole grain breads and cereals.

I try to have have oats as a mid-morning snack and I am always sure to mix a spoonful of Wheat Germ into it (rich in protein and b vitamins for hair growth). Oats provide sustained energy levels, they also assist in maintaining the natural hair colour by aiding in the creation of melatin and can help prevent hair loss. Oats contain important minerals for hair growth such as potassium, phosphorus and magnesium, and iron. I am interested in trying millet (read about it on another thread here), but have not done so yet.

I have some sort of Low-fat Dairy everyday. (my favorites are my protein shakes, low-fat Greek yogurt, and 1% milk but you could also do cottage cheese, or cheese). Dairy products contain calcium which is an important mineral for hair growth and whey and casein, which are high quality protein sources.

I try to eat one dark green leafy veg per day. My favorites are spinach, kale, and broccoli. These veggies contain iron and calcium and are excellent sources of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce sebum (your body's natural hair conditioner).

Try to eat whole grains because they contain zinc, iron, and B vitamins.

As others have recommended, eggs are great because they are high quality protein and contain biotin and vitamin b-12. Poultry is also a high quality protein source which will prevent weak and brittle hair and loss of hair color. *I don't always eat these things everyday but I should.

Legumes like kidney beans and lentils provide protein, iron, zinc, and biotin. * I need to start eating more of these.

Nuts (I don't eat them much at this time because I'm trying to lose weight) however:
brazil nuts contain selenium which is great for scalp health. walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid an omega-3 fatty acid that may help condition your hair
walnuts, pecans, almonds, cashews contain zinc - a zinc deficiency can lead to hair shedding

I have in the past mixed cold-milled Flaxseed into my cereals, yogurts, smoothies and it's good. It provides omega-3,6, and 9 fatty acids, is high in fiber and lignans. Is beneficial for a healthy body and may be beneficial for hair growth.

I am not a coffee drinker, I like tea. I'm not sure if tea has the same negative effects as coffee? Even though I don't drink coffee, I definitely have other downfalls. My downfalls are my love of diet soda :ale:, high fat foods :pizza:, and sugar :cake:! I have to try to control these bad.

I hope this helps... every time I tell people about this sort of thing it makes me realize how much I've been slipping with my own diet. I need to get back on track! When the weekends come around I tend to sleep in late and then eat whatever I want. When I'm at work it is easier to stay structured and eat the food I've prepared ahead of time. :D

Flaxen
February 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Chocolate. :)

Liss
February 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM

I'm totally with you on that one, Flaxen!

Having read through the posts, I thought I'd throw in my 2cents...

The coffee debate - I'm a coffee lover and doctors will have to prize if off me if they ever want me to stop. Having heard the arguements for years, I looked into it. For the average person, coffee will not dehydrate. This is because the amount of water that goes into making a cup of coffee will more than off-set the tiny amount of dehydration from the caffine. Some athletes even deliberately drink a small cup of coffee before practicing sport.

Eggs - well I hate to break the news about egg-whites, as they are one of only a few biotin inhibiters for the body. So if you never eat the yolks, but eat lots of egg-whites, the biotin won't be absorbed, making those expensive supplements a waste of money. That's not to say you should avoid them all together, just remember to eat the yolk from time to time too.

I'm not a dietician, doctor or anything like that, so prove me wrong if you wish. But I have looked into things from time to time and I'm just sharing what I've discovered.

Now to answer the OP - I started taking Biotin this year and my average growth rate has doubled, but... I haven't taken it for long enough to be convinced that it is definately because of the biotin.

Bellona
February 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
My hair seems to grow like a weed if I incorporate many different proteins. I eat eggs, nuts, beans, different kinds of meat and different kinds of fish/shellfish, grains, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. Of course I add fruits and vegetables too.

I once unintentionally went on a diet where I ate healthily, but I ate the same things over and over, and my hair stalled, so that's when I figured out my growth does better with more of a variety of foods, especially proteins. I do not drink those shakes. They taste horrible and are not popular in France. ;)

Arrow Juniper
February 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
whiteisle, I too have gotten into the green smoothies, but for the first time. my hair-nourshing roommie/bff started making them up every morning. We do a sun salutation followed by a shake - usually spirutein or fruitein, with some flax seed oil and chlorella added in, plus juice and water. so tasty, and so healthy for the hair.

elina333
February 8th, 2010, 07:05 AM
I am not a coffee drinker, I like tea. I'm not sure if tea has the same negative effects as coffee?

I think it depends on what kind of tea you drink, since its the caffeine that is supposedly bad for you. So if you drink decaf teas you should be fine. Just as with decaf coffee... Right? :confused:

curlycrown
February 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I try to keep it sown to two eggs/day... But sometimes I eat three or four... :o

Usually I eat the whole egg but if Im making an omelette (or just eating more than two) I only eat the whites. The yolk are high in vitamins AND fat, and two egg yolks contain 100% of your RDI of fat.

So go easy on the yolks if you eat more than two per day :D

Thanks for the info! I have been eating 1 a day but now I may boost that to 2. I think I will also start taking out the yolks.

Kris Dove
February 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm a vegan, I try to eat plenty of nuts,legumes and wholegrains for protein and B's(except b12), and nutritional yeast or yeast extract(like vegemite, marmite etc) for even more B vitamins. A tablespoon of yeast extract makes a good alternative to stock in a tomato based sauce like bolognese or chilli, even if you don't like the taste of marmite on it's own.

I also make a tofu and veggie coconutty korma with toasted almonds sprinkled on top which is one of my fiance's favourite dishes... all that coconut and almond oil must be good for my hair from the inside as well!

cmnt831
February 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I once unintentionally went on a diet where I ate healthily

This made me smile. :D

I've just been trying to eat healthy for my general health, but don't know if it's made a difference to my hair. Maybe I'll start to keep an eye on it. And no, I'm not giving up coffee, either :coffee:.... or beer:beercheer:.

DarkChocolate
February 8th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I eat lots of fruits and vegetables:) I also eat eggs and bananas since they are both really good for hair. I also eat whole grains. I top off with some dark chocolate at the end of the day too:) I drink lots of water and raw milk too:)

pdy2kn6
February 8th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cucumbers!!!! I juice them. They are very high in silica which helps your body utilize other minerals such as magnesium and copper. It also helps our connective tissues retain moisture. So, if it's not cucumbers, find another source of silica :)

great idea about juicing cucumbers, i love them!!

elina333
February 9th, 2010, 06:12 AM
great idea about juicing cucumbers, i love them!!

Hmm I never knew cucumbers were so good for you! Im gonna try juicing them as well. Great idea! :cheese:

countryhopper
February 18th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I made a huge batch of steel cut oats the other day and mixed some millet in there, too. I ground flaxseed in water and used that to cook it all in. Then I ate it with a banana. So hopefully SOMETHING out of all that is good for hair growth, if not, I'm sure it;s good for something else! Super healthy!

Trollkona
February 18th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Avocados, egg, whole grain bread and pasta, fresh veggies and fruits and a smoothie with blueberries, rasberries and strawberries everyday. My skin loves it when I eat alot of fruits and berries and I think my hair does to. Im trying to quit eating white bread, less meat and not drink "honey with tea" ;) (I love tea, but sometimes I just overdo the sugar/honey/milk in it)

jera
February 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM

It is dehydrating. So is alchol. I drink green tea and other herbal teas. :)

For my hair, I eat lots of fresh berries, tomatoes and oranges ( high in vitamin C ) swiss chard, ( high in biotin ) lean beef, chicken, yogurt, whole grain bread, oats, seeds, bulgar, ( high in protein) and carrots, (vitamin A for healthy scalp ) :D

aef231
March 4th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Lots of oats! I try to have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast most days of the week... I throw in some fresh walnuts too, I try to get some good omega-3's in there as well... bananas, avocados, eggs, protein in general, whole grains, veggies and fruits (though I don't get enough) and.... CHOCOLATE! :chocolate: Gotta keep my stress level down, don't want all this hard-earned hair falling out, right? :eyebrows: Generally I just try to get a lot of nutrients, I think a healthy body will give me healthy hair.

countryhopper
March 4th, 2010, 07:08 AM
one thing I really HAVE to improve is drinking more water! Now that summer is coming that should get easier...

Crazycatlady
March 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
More water...ME TOO! It seems to chill me to the bone these days so I've been trying to drink some hot herbal teas in the afternoon and at night to get my water in for the day. It's an effort though!!

metalgypsy85
March 4th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I drink a lot of water first of all. I take a vegan multi and a flax supplement daily. For foods, I try to eat a lot of whole grains, at least one serving of greens a day, lots of nuts, and I'm trying to add some fruit to my diet also, which is weird for me, cause I'm not a huge fruit person.

emmabovary
March 4th, 2010, 08:42 AM
It is dehydrating. So is alchol.

Second that :) Coffee isn't necessarily that bad if you enjoy it in moderation. Just be sure to drink as much extra water as you drink coffee. That is EXTRA water folks! :P

Personally I would never remove egg yolks. Newer research has in my opinion eliminated any reason to do so. I can't think of any links in English off the top of my head... Dr Atkins' books are great resources though. I eat a low-carb diet (yup, Atkins) and it's been working wonders so far. I don't really need to lose weight, but it's made my mood a LOT more even and I just feel so much more energetic. Even my menstrual cramps have almost completely disappeared!

I take multivitamins and fishoil, and eat a decent amount of veggies every day. I try to keep it varied, but it's hard here during the winter because veggies get so expensive :( I eat a moderate amount of nuts too *takes another Brazil nut* and I try to choose organic whenever I can.

elina333
March 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Second that :) Coffee isn't necessarily that bad if you enjoy it in moderation. Just be sure to drink as much extra water as you drink coffee. That is EXTRA water folks! :P

Personally I would never remove egg yolks. Newer research has in my opinion eliminated any reason to do so. I can't think of any links in English off the top of my head... Dr Atkins' books are great resources though. I eat a low-carb diet (yup, Atkins) and it's been working wonders so far. I don't really need to lose weight, but it's made my mood a LOT more even and I just feel so much more energetic. Even my menstrual cramps have almost completely disappeared!

I take multivitamins and fishoil, and eat a decent amount of veggies every day. I try to keep it varied, but it's hard here during the winter because veggies get so expensive :( I eat a moderate amount of nuts too *takes another Brazil nut* and I try to choose organic whenever I can.

Diets such as Atkings or the LCHF are great for losing weight. But less great for your heart and veins... So yes, from a weight loss point of view - ditch the carbs and eat all the fat! From a more healthy overall point of view - Ditch the carbs AND go easy on the fat :D

Merkaba
March 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I loooovvveee me some eggs too. I'm a protein junkie! I've started eating fruit more though for the Vitamin C- I also take a Vitamin C tab with my MSM to help with absorbtion. I was eating millet, but not on a constant basis.

FYI- For coffee addicts out there I have changed over to an instant coffee called Mazel. I found it at my local dollar store. It has less caffeine and sugar, but still wakes me up. If I'm ultra-tired I do half Mazel with some real coffee mixed in:

http://www.vernonsales.com/images/Thumbs/14990.JPG

elina333
March 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I loooovvveee me some eggs too. I'm a protein junkie! I've started eating fruit more though for the Vitamin C- I also take a Vitamin C tab with my MSM to help with absorbtion. I was eating millet, but not on a constant basis.

FYI- For coffee addicts out there I have changed over to an instant coffee called Mazel. I found it at my local dollar store. It has less caffeine and sugar, but still wakes me up. If I'm ultra-tired I do half Mazel with some real coffee mixed in:

http://www.vernonsales.com/images/Thumbs/14990.JPG

Yes it is the caffeine thats bad, right? I usually drink decaf and I think thats supposed to be better than regular (from a hair growing point of view that is :D)

lunagoose
March 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Any fruit and vegetable under the sun, cashews or other nuts, eggs for protein, brown rice & whole wheat pasta, lentils, beans of any variety, yogurt and feta cheese. I drink green tea and coffee (not so good I know). I avoid consuming meat if possible.

LaBelleVita
March 7th, 2010, 04:19 AM
for various health reasons I can't eat red meat or dairy(one huge reason is the fact I have a naturally high cholestrol level- puzzling because I am slim).
anyway I follow pretty much a pescetarian diet... I eat oats, raisins, spinach and other vegetables, brown rice, chickpeas, lentils, soya based products, lots of fish, bananas, pears, kiwi, carrots etc. and once a week I have chicken or turkey. I only drink water or rooibos tea and I don't have any caffeine or alcohol. My one vice is sugary sweets like maoam and skittles, I just can't give them up :o.
Overall I think my diet is benefitting my hair- It does grow quickly and my nails are strong and long too.

Aer
March 7th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I try to eat healthy all the time, but yeah I do eat hair health food. I eat a lot of protein, and good carbs, like wheat pasta.

countryhopper
March 7th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I was looking on the internet yesterday for natural food sources of biotin, since I've seen many LHC members take this suppliment. Apparently one of the highest veggie sources of this vitamin is swiss chard. It's also in liver, egg (yolks), and I can't remember the other ones.

On to eating more dark leafy greens!

LucyHope
March 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I don't. :uhh: I know I should, but food is not my friend, and supplements are expensive.

I'm diabetic (must eat carbs on routine, whether I want to or not) and have pernicious anaemia (which is an appetite suppressant). So I waste as little energy on food choices as possible - i.e. I live on wholegrain crackers, cheese, apples, wholegrain bread, marmite, carrots, frozen mixed veg, meusli bars, and occasional rice, meat, and home baking. Oh, and fish and chips. Bad, I know. :oops: Especially as I know better, and have all those good, wholegrainy, organic-type wholefoods just sitting there in the cupboard. I just can't get organised/bothered to cook 'em.

I take fish oil when I remember and a multi-vit every so often. I can't take Evening Primrose Oil; I react badly to it.

I guess this is something I should be thinking more about... :rolleyes:

Dimitri'sMom
March 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I eat a lot of healthy things because I needed to turn my diet around. The ones I think specifically benefit my hair are:

Blackstrap molasses (1 spoon per day for iron and trace minerals)
DHA capsule that comes with prenatal vitamin
Prenatal vitamin
Nuts and seeds
Raisins
Olive oil olive oil olive oil

RecklessCharlie
March 8th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Eggs, eggs, eggs! :D MM. I love egggsss!

Ditto! :p

Meade. Drink meade. :D

Suszi
March 9th, 2010, 05:58 AM
With my hair and skin in mind I eat more nuts, seeds and fruits as snack (instead of unhealthy snacks).

kevala
March 12th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I'm a vegan, I try to eat plenty of nuts,legumes and wholegrains for protein and B's(except b12), and nutritional yeast or yeast extract(like vegemite, marmite etc) for even more B vitamins. A tablespoon of yeast extract makes a good alternative to stock in a tomato based sauce like bolognese or chilli, even if you don't like the taste of marmite on it's own.

I also make a tofu and veggie coconutty korma with toasted almonds sprinkled on top which is one of my fiance's favourite dishes... all that coconut and almond oil must be good for my hair from the inside as well!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who avoids eggs, dairy, meat, etc! Reading this thread was making me feel a bit lonely until I got to your post.

I don't eat anything for my hair specifically, but I eat a healthy diet which includes lots of oats, beans, fruits, veggies, bulgur, tofu, olive oil, etc. I eat nuts, air-popped popcorn, and fruits as snacks. I used to eat nutritional yeast frequently...I should get back into doing that!

skysraine
March 13th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Ah THe all time ? I get this ALOT!!!
"Your hair grows about 1/4 to 1/2 inch every month, and the foundation of all of our new hair, skin, and nail growth is the nutrients we eat," "If you eat a healthy diet, you will grow stronger and healthier cells throughout your entire body -- inside and out."

For the full article, click here. (http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/top-10-foods-for-healthy-hair)

TizrahRae
March 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I drink nothing but water and tea (Mostly red, herbal, and green tea.) and I take multi-vitamins (1 prenatal vitamin a day, and 1 hair, skin and nails vitamin every other day)
Also, I love fish. :)

missmandy
March 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I didn't add foods.... But I added vitamins!!! Omega 3s in the form of evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil.

Ksenia
March 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm vegan like a couple others who responded above. I eat mostly organic (I found a company that delivers organic baskets and I started getting them in winter so that I didn't have to worry about dragging home bags of delicate veggies up the hill where I live in midwinter and now I get it year round because the quality and price are excellent), and have recently started making my own almond/hazelnut/quinoa milks because I was getting too much soy in my diet, which can prevent the absorption of iron. I also take B-12 drops and silicea, and drink a few pots of tea per day - mostly green or white, but I recently discovered unfermented rooibos which has more of the satisfaction of a green or white tea, unlike regular rooibos. I cannot function without my tea!

LunarAurora
March 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I'm almost vegan too (I only eat some cheese when i go to the restaurant with friends - it's not easy to find sth vegan in classical restaurants...) ^^

I try to eat a lot of different things but it's been a while since i haven't had a decent meal *shame on me*. My hair is dry now, and my scalp is itshy....

BUT in "normal times" i eat a lot of fruits et vegetables, brewers yeast, nuts, beans etc. Last summer i had a very good diet and indeed my hair was fantastic.
Now it is just... ugly, haha

starlights
March 31st, 2010, 05:31 PM
cucumber, onions, pomegranate, eggs, is usaully my hair diet, ha!

Tovah
March 31st, 2010, 05:51 PM

I was going to say that! But I decided to read the thread first. Great minds think alike. One can never have too much chocolate.

I have an egg white protein shake every morning for breakfast -more than 20 grams protein-also take biotin and folic acid with my multivitamin. I'm trying to cut down on stress, wait - that's not diet.

Sammybunny711
June 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I eat yogurt everyday. I also take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin E, and Calcium. WOOHOO! My DH and I try to eat salad at least every day if not every other day. Whole grains, etc.

May
June 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I've been eating for my health and for my hair for years now.
I take a multi-vitamin daily and incorporate lots of flax, yogurt, fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, fish and protein shakes now and then when I start to feel I need a boost of protein.

I love coffee and will never stop drinking it either :o Coffee is a powerful antioxidant!

princessp
June 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Wow, very cool about the cucumbers I had no idea. I'm going to start eating more of those. I eat eggs for breakfast (usually 2, yolks and all). That is the only animal protein I get since I'm vegetarian so the rest comes from nuts, legumes, and such. I eat pretty healthy and exercise almost every day. No complaints, my hair grows fairly well.

HintOfMint
June 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Haha, looks like the foods I eat on a regular basis are quite good for my hair. Eggs, cucumbers (! who knew?), nuts... etc. At least no one is saying "choke down some brussel sprouts and you'll hit hip in no time." Although I'm sure that is probably true and the secret to gorgeous hair, knowing my luck.

Charlotte:)
June 10th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Lots of organic grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, very few animal by-products, and no meat. Ever since I became vegetarian, I have been much healthier, and so has my hair. Your hair will only be as healthy as you are.

Medievalmaniac
June 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
what is a green smoothie?

I take a multivitamin and also hair/skin/nail vitamin supplements every morning with breakfast, which is either yogurt and fruit or a snack bar and fruit. I eat Luna soy bars or Powerbar harvest energy bars once a day. I've recently begun trying the Smartwater (vitamins and electrolytes added)also . It sounds excessive, but even though I eat fairly healthfully(major vice is cookies/brownies, lol), I always feel tired and depleted and I think it's necessary for my body to have more vitamins than the average person. I have felt much better for the past month or so since I started taking in many more vitamins. I just do too much, lol. But my hair and nails have never looked better than they do now - so I think it's helping!!

Pandora.
June 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Genetically, I have very fast growing hair as it is. I must admit, I eat sugary and fatty foods everyday (my body type is naturally quite slim, so even if I eat food like that I won't get fat, so why waste that advantage?), but in moderation. I also make sure I do eat healthy foods everyday as well.

It's hard to eat certain foods every single day, especially when there's only limited types of food in the house. I now take a multivitamin and a cod liver oil capsule daily to ensure I'm getting the adequate amount of vitamins my body needs. It's expensive to keep buying all these fancy health foods all the damn time! :p

To be honest, even when I ate nothing but rubbish for like months my hair seemed to grow just fine.

humble_knight
June 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Chocolate and lots of it :cheese:

Pandora.
June 10th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Chocolate and lots of it :cheese:

That's the way to go! :)

Tap Dancer
June 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I don't eat foods "for my hair," but I've noticed that my hair has been growing like a weed these last few months. That's because I've been going crazy on peanuts and peanut butter. I can't get enough! I go through at least 2 jars of peanut butter a week and I eat peanuts almost daily. I had my hair cut to my shoulders 4 months ago and it's already about three inches below my collarbone.

Are You Biotin Deficient? (http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives14ML3P1A2.html)

Good sources of biotin are liver, brewer’s yeast, grapefruit, strawberries, milk, bananas, watermelon and peanuts.

sunshine-locks
June 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
DarkChocolate 'I eat lots of fruits and vegetables I also eat eggs and bananas since they are both really good for hair. I also eat whole grains. I top off with some dark chocolate at the end of the day too I drink lots of water and raw milk too' raw milk? O.o how else do you have it?

Charlotte:)
June 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm almost vegan too (I only eat some cheese when i go to the restaurant with friends - it's not easy to find sth vegan in classical restaurants...) ^^

I try to eat a lot of different things but it's been a while since i haven't had a decent meal *shame on me*. My hair is dry now, and my scalp is itshy....

BUT in "normal times" i eat a lot of fruits et vegetables, brewers yeast, nuts, beans etc. Last summer i had a very good diet and indeed my hair was fantastic.
Now it is just... ugly, haha

Oh yes, brewers yeast is fantastic for hair! Animals that eat it in the wild have the shiniest, thickest coats!

bunzfan
September 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
After reading the yogurt is a super food for hair growth due to the high protein content i gave it a try. After 2 weeks of eating 2 Yogurts a day (i have become addicted to the taste) my hair has grown half an inch in 2 weeks i have only just noticed this:D

hmmm
September 1st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Everything I eat is for my hair. Especially chocolate. My hair loves it! :p

RecklessCharlie
September 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Chocolate and lots of it :cheese: I like the way you think! :)

luluj
September 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Peanut butter....(organic just peanuts variety).......blueberries......soy milk.......tofu........eggs........some cheese.

HuggyBear
September 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
I've just recently (today! lol) gotten back to my green smoothies. Ahhhhh....the addiction begins again. :D

^^This...YUMMY!!!

elfgirl
September 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
I'm a tea addict :P Love fish and seafood, salads, sushi, veggies...I'm a healthy eater to begin with, and I also have a thing for peanut butter ;)

sally_neuf
September 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a question girls... What is a smothie? :o

I googles and it seems like a strong juice with vegetables and.. well everything you can think of, but I mean, when do you eat it? Can you replace a meal with that? which one? are they good?

We have a lot of bananas, mangoes and watermelon. No berries of any kind, Can I make decent smoothies with that?

I'm just so curious!

dainaleeo2
September 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
I kind of just eat healthy for my body, but i would be lying if i said i didn't do it for my hair too :p

i eat mostly apples [all varieties...it's always fun to try new ones], bananas, strawberries, oranges, & raspberries. I also try to eat more veggies but since apparently i have genetically strong tastebuds [you learn something new every day!], I can't stand the bitter or bland taste of some. I eat mostly iceberg lettuce, baby spinach leaves, & sometimes celery. The salad dressing i use has a lot of omega-3's, which is nice since i also really can't stand a lot of fish.

I also eat a lot of raw almonds, which have some good protein & healthy fats, & when i make pasta i use olive oil w/ the sauce for some more healthy oils :)

i do drink a lot of caffiene too, so i feel you guys! the ones that drink coffee everyday :D i blame it on the fact that i'm a college senior, with 21 hours :D red bull is my vice.
the reason why apparently it isn't so good for hair is because of the dehydration, which a few people pointed out. i have some premature laguh lines, which were caused by excessive drinking of caffiene [i used to drink like 3-4 cans a day. horrid habbit!]. I drink enough water to offset the cup of coffee or one can of red bull i drink now so that problem has been resolved, thank goodness!

& of course, i take the biotin/healthy skin pills & a multi vitamin called Juice Plus, which gets all of the benifits from fruits/veggies that I don't eat in pill form. It's really nice. Helps your hair grow too! :)

dainaleeo2
September 1st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oh & lots of green tea! :) I forgot to add that. lots of antioxidants & its really good for your skin overall. Dunno if it does anything for hair but I'm sure it doesn't hurt :)

Centaur
September 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
When I was powerlifting, I was eating A LOT of protein, including lots of eggs and protein supplements with added vitamins and minerals, and I was eating really healthy, well-balanced meals. My hair grew like a weed during that time.

Joliebaby
September 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Not just for my hair, but hair benefits help me stay motivated :

* Green drinks with chlorella, spirulina, wheat germ, aloe vera and apple juice
* Eggs! Raw eggs in smoothies, or boiled, or omelettes (usually at least 2 eggs a day, but ranges from 0-4, and definitely the WHOLE egg and always organic free range!)
* Fish (from natural waters) about once a week ( I like fish but so many problems due to over fishing.. )
* Tofu about once a week (Good source of protein but I don't think soy is too healthy to eat many times a week..)
* Natural yoghurt
* Lots of berries
* Fruit, apples, bananas, anything..
* Always have some veggies at dinner, I'm better with fruit though. Raw carrots and cucumber (good to serve as pre-dinner snack to hungry husband and kid :) )
* Whole grains, wheat germ, quinoa, millet, spelt... in the form of muesli, bread, pasta etc.
* Beans and lentils and rice
* Nuts and seeds
* Rose salt
* Mascobado raw sugar
* Honey
* Olive, coconut and wheat germ oil (plus and omega fatty acid supplement)
* Lots of organic and free range and fair trade foods
* Molasses in baking bread
* Vitamin and mineral and herb supplements ( I think everyone can benefit from a good multivitamin and omega fatty acid supplement)

I could do even better by adding more veggies and quitting my morning coffee (not see that happening though!)
And I could always drink more water....

Krentje
September 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am highly surprised on the amount of protein some persons are promoting here! Your body does NOT benefit from more than one egg a day, ok, you can take 2 or 3 occasionaly if you eat no meat or on days you feel tired/night shifts, but for most people its just not necessary. (can be unhealthy too, allthough not for your hair).

Of course, i don't know what the common North American attitude towards eggs & protein consumption is? Maybe i am wrong or maybe we are both right :). (and of course all bodies differ)

I googles and it seems like a strong juice with vegetables and.. well everything you can think of, but I mean, when do you eat it? Can you replace a meal with that? which one? are they good?

We have a lot of bananas, mangoes and watermelon. No berries of any kind, Can I make decent smoothies with that?

I'm just so curious!

Hi Sally. Yes: a smoothie is just the way (best homemade) mixed fruit -and vegetable- juice is called. You can make GREAT smoothies with bananas and mango! Watermellon might be too watery, but well, its healthy anyway!

HuggyBear
September 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM

I'm just so curious!

Well, I make fruit smoothies and just have recently discovered green smoothies. Green smoothies are basically a fruit & veggie drink. I usually have one for breakfast and I had one with my lunch yesterday as well. So I do replace meals with them sometimes and also drink them with a light lunch. I make my green smoothies using baby spinach, frozen berries, frozen bananas, ground flax, MSM but there are zillions of different things you can put in them. My fruit smoothies consist of bananas, any other fruit I have, yogurt, and almond milk. Just Google "smoothie" or "green smoothies" or you can watch some videos on YouTube. Loads of info on them. Mmmm....Mangoes sound delicious....off to the store I go. :)

Joliebaby
September 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM

I'm just so curious!
I LOVE smoothies, and so do my husband and daughter! I usually use any kind of fruit and /or berries, either frozen or fresh or both, then either juice, coconut milk, or rice milk, a couple of raw eggs (one per person) and honey as needed to sweeten (I don't always use honey). Bananas are often used for good texture. I like to cut up a watermelon and freeze the chunks and use those. Mango is excellent in smoothies.

You can add some seeds if you want to. Or veggies, but I prefer fruit..
ETA: You need a blender to mash everything together :)

Vampire
September 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
now, i'm hungry.....

McFearless
September 1st, 2010, 10:05 PM
_ three cups of green tea a day
_ LOTS of chicken and lean meats...but i'd eat that anyway:P
_ kidney beans (works really well)
_ chickpeas
_ spinach/kale
_ tuna/sardienes(sp?)
_ brazil nuts

McFearless
September 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Oh and milk is great for your hair. 1 cups has 8g of protein.

sally_neuf
September 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
I know I'm hijacking the thread with smoothies, but from this day on I admit I am a smoothie addict. :D

I had my first smoothie ever this morning. I was a little reluctant if that thing was gonna keep me full until noon, because I am a BIG breakfast girl, normal lunch and a practically inexistent dinner.

So I just threw in the blender:
2 spoons of oat, a couple of almonds, apple flavored protein powder, papaya, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, spinach (Just boiled for 10 seconds) and some milk (less than a cup)

Now THAT'S a breakfast I could barely move Oh my stomach so full and with nutritious thing! I mean, spinach in the morning? I never thought I could eat veggies in the mornings if it wasn't for fruits..!

Thanks LHC again!!! I am already planning tomorrows smoothies and bought some very ripe yummy bananas ummm :cheese:

helwa
September 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I just try to eat a balanced diet, pretty much. I did recently start taking a multivitamin with the main motivation being my hair, but.... :D

chotee
September 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I love walnuts and they do very good for my hair....i add them to my smoothies...protein shake powder, flax, fruits and skimmed milk and some almonds....YUMM :smile:

DarkChocolate
September 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I drink raw milk, eat salads with lettuce greens,tomatoes,avocados and cheese, lots of whole grain breads and pasta,almonds,smoothies with strawberries,bananas and coconut milk.

I too just started making smoothies and they are delicious:) I usually don't like bananas but the smoothies make them very tasty for me:) I have heard that bananas really help with hair growth:)

vagabundo_verde
January 3rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Oooh, what a thread! making me hungry at 2 a.m.!! I recently started blending spinach and kale into a juice, with a few drops of lemon. I've always loved making banana-avocado smoothies, or blueberry-banana (almost anything I can mix with banana, actually) and I'll sprinkle in a few walnuts or almonds if I can. Also, I do love eating chicken and fried tofu in my pad thai when I can, but I think that too much protein can actually be a bit of a health hazard. I remember that my cousin's pregnancy was at risk once, as she had a high level of protein in her body. Strange things, those bodies of ours - though definitely fascinating.
:cheese:

VONNiiE
January 3rd, 2012, 01:38 AM
Well, I have recently added lots and lost and lots and lots and lots of fruit to my diet! :) and like you have added fish; a lot of omega-3 is good! I guess you are what you eat!

VONNiiE
January 3rd, 2012, 01:39 AM
oh and a lot of water!!!!!!!

Bene
January 3rd, 2012, 01:55 AM
Nicotine and cheese doodles.

I don't eat anything special for my hair and I still get the .5 inch per month.

vintage88
January 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
I eat an egg everyday, fresh fruit and veg, chicken and brown bread. I drink rooibos and green tea everyday and have just started drinking hot water and lemon juice which is meant to be really good for you! I used to have an awful diet and didnt eat any fruit or veg. Since changing what I eat my overall health has improved so i'm sure its making a difference to my hair :)

Having said that I do treat myself and can't live without chocolate every now and then! I don't think theres anything wrong with eating unhealthy foods as long as it's in moderation and the main part of your diet is healthy:)

Garnetgem
January 21st, 2016, 09:03 PM
I eat a variety of foods to help my hair growth,Red salmon Tuna most types of fish,fruits especially bananas as i heard they are good for healthy growth but since i have started juicing apples and sometimes white grapes then my hair seems to have grown somewhat healthier,i also eat chicken a variety of veg and of course whole grain rice again its excellent for hair health all this and i drink bottled water and take my vitamins and minerals.

lapis_lazuli
January 21st, 2016, 09:30 PM
All things protein! :yumm: (excluding meats :p)

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2016, 10:44 PM
Well I don't necessarily eat for my hair, it's for my general health.

That being said, I eat 2 avocados and beans everyday. Its pretty common thing for a mexican person to have this diet, but im kinda addicted to avocados I could eat more if I had the chance!

Garnetgem
January 21st, 2016, 11:30 PM
Well I don't necessarily eat for my hair, it's for my general health.

That being said, I eat 2 avocados and beans everyday. Its pretty common thing for a mexican person to have this diet, but im kinda addicted to avocados I could eat more if I had the chance!

Can honestly say i have never tried avocado ever...

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2016, 11:41 PM
Can honestly say i have never tried avocado ever...

Yeah I know some people don't like them at all. Same way I totally dislike super sweet food or desserts in general!

.. still I have notice that people either love or hate avocados! Ditto

Mirabele
January 22nd, 2016, 12:59 AM
i try to eat as healthy as i can and exercise regulary for the sake of my body and health, both in order to look as good as it is possible for my age and to be as healthy as i can control such. i eat lots of homemade food and not so much fast/frozen food. after obsessing about my hair, i try to eat more protein. i usually include products that i like, and not so much these that i don't like. i eat some wallnuts (or some other nuts) almost every day (i like that anyway). i try to eat more salmon (like that too), i eat avocado often (like that too). I am not a big fan of meat, though i eat it quite often, but i am not going to increase intake of that anyway. i don't drink milk because i don't like it. i am now more conciuos about taking my multivitamins and omega supplies. i make mindfull effort to drink enough water.
having said that i am very weak to say no to coffee and all sugary things, including pastries and chocolate. i've been that all my life. lucky me, it doesn't affect how my body look, but i know it would be better to reduce these amounts. i try to be more mindful about that now that i am 40 due to my own future health but as i said i am very weak for these things.

PristineAllure
January 22nd, 2016, 05:58 AM
I eat a lot of boiled eggs, salmon, and kale.

RottenMango
May 10th, 2019, 03:09 AM
Peanut butter, protein bars and chicken. I want to add on protein shakes, yogurt, fruit, and fish.

LittleHealthy
May 10th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Lots of water and I make sure I eat lots of healthy fats each day from meat, eggs and nuts. Sunflower seeds are high in vitamin e and taste delicious! I put them in and on everything. They are also a nice stand-alone snack.

hinabelle
May 10th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Because hair growth is in part controlled by hormones, I avoid sugar and and most carbohydrates to maintain an even hormonal profile.
Healthy fats, avoiding corn oil, canola oil, soybean oil, and the like.
Protein from meats and eggs.
Cruciferous vegetables and leafy greens for a good mix of micronutrients.
Cheeses and nuts on occasion for a treat.