PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take after a major shedding...

wild_horses
February 3rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
For you hair to thicken again? I had a major, shedding about a year in a half ago. My hair is fine/thin and my circumference was almost to 3.5" inches. Now it is 2.5" inches.
I finally made my very first goal of 25" inches in January and my second goal is to get to 30 " inches. I have not trimmed since last July and I have no splits and my hair is the healthiest it has ever been. I have noticed new growth with little spikies all over the place! My front hairline is finally filling in too.

I was thinking of letting my hair grow until this July to go a year without a trim and then get a half inch trimmed off and then once I get to my second goal of 30 inches to trim every month or every second month to thicken. Is that possible to thicken doing that?

I am just wondering if anyone else went through a major shedding and how long it took for you to get your thickness back? Did you keep trimming to thicken? What did you do?

I know I need patience!! I also want to mention that I do take a multi-vitamin, flax seed oil, and evening primrose oil.

Neen
February 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I also had a major shed about a year and a half ago and am just starting to feel like I have my thickness back around APL. My circumference got down to 2" but was back up to 3" about 8 months later. Once you start noticing regrowth, how long it takes just depends on how fast your hair grows.

I kept trimming every couple of months and am now a little shorter than I started but I think I'm ready now to just S&D my way to my goal. Another way to do it is as you suggest - get to your goal and then trim every month or two until it thickens up.

Noticing new growth is a positive sign, so just keep taking care of your health and your hair. If you lack patience, you could try distracting yourself with hair accessories ;)

elina333
February 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
I've had two major sheddings during the past three years... I took me about a year to recover from the first one. The other one Im recovering from as Im writing this :) Of course my ends are prob thinner but I have so much hair its hardly noticeable :pray:

Try to be patient. It will come back! :flower:

ChrissieM
February 3rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
I had a massive shed when I was 23 or so. My hair was about shoulder length then...it took about 2 years to recover all of my thickness.

Desideira
February 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM
oh, how I am glad to read this tread. I was upset becuse i had terrible shedding more then a year ago and i was really sad becuse i almost dont see new hair growing back. I was afraid that I will never get my thickness back and gave up:(but now i see its still posible. ..
may i ask what make the most of the difference? vitamins or comsmetics?
It seem that i am doing evething right but still my hair get thinner:(

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I think it'll take however long it takes to grow out to your current length, which sucks. =/ But I'm not completely sure, just seems like a logical guess.

wild_horses
February 9th, 2010, 11:54 PM
oh, how I am glad to read this tread. I was upset becuse i had terrible shedding more then a year ago and i was really sad becuse i almost dont see new hair growing back. I was afraid that I will never get my thickness back and gave up:(but now i see its still posible. ..
may i ask what make the most of the difference? vitamins or comsmetics?
It seem that i am doing evething right but still my hair get thinner:(

:) Hello! I didn't notice the regrowth at first. It took a little while but where I did notice it was around my front hairline, mostly above my temples. After shedding I looked like I had a receding hairline. I do take vitamins-flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, and womens ultra mega, all from GNC. I have been wearing my hear in buns for the last year. I put my hair in a bun right after I get out of the shower. I use Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars,and Aubrey Organics conditioner. I shampoo or scalp wash everyday becuase with my hair thinner it tends to look greasy faster. I have also been sleeping on a satin pillow case. I have no clue if any or all of this has helped or if it is just the natural hair re-growth cycle. I have noticed just today that I have a little section that is about 6 to 7 inches long so that must have taken the last year to grow! I parted my hair a little different and that is where I discoverd that little hiding section! I have a feeling it is going to take about two years for all of the new regrowth back and my hair thickness restored. I hope you start to see some re-growth soon. :)

mamaherrera
August 28th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I hope mine starts to change for the better as well. I shed for four years, and now it's been better for the last eight months with a few relapses for a couple weeks. But my temples did recede a bit and I don't see much regrowth there, just short fine hairs. I don't know if I"ll ever get them back now.

:) Hello! I didn't notice the regrowth at first. It took a little while but where I did notice it was around my front hairline, mostly above my temples. After shedding I looked like I had a receding hairline. I do take vitamins-flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, and womens ultra mega, all from GNC. I have been wearing my hear in buns for the last year. I put my hair in a bun right after I get out of the shower. I use Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars,and Aubrey Organics conditioner. I shampoo or scalp wash everyday becuase with my hair thinner it tends to look greasy faster. I have also been sleeping on a satin pillow case. I have no clue if any or all of this has helped or if it is just the natural hair re-growth cycle. I have noticed just today that I have a little section that is about 6 to 7 inches long so that must have taken the last year to grow! I parted my hair a little different and that is where I discoverd that little hiding section! I have a feeling it is going to take about two years for all of the new regrowth back and my hair thickness restored. I hope you start to see some re-growth soon. :)