PDA

View Full Version : Hair petting

WaitingSoLong
February 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Do people pet your hair??? OK, I love it when people admire my hair, don't get me wrong, but HANDS OFF.

They pet me.

They pick it up and run it though their fingers.

Now, these are other (usually older, motherly type) women, I would never allow a man to touch me because I am a blissfully married woman. I have had hair comments from men, and they are always a bit creepy. LOL. (as I put my left hand with my wedding ring up to my face and stroke my chin)

I let my Mom do it, but, she is my mom.

I never tell them not to, because I am not sure how to say it without being rude. They don't pull it, or hurt it, and I know they are complimenting me, so am I just @nal or what? (can I say that?)

Anyone else get petted?

Guess I am just a bubble person. As in, stay out of mine. No touchy.

As an afterthought, I much prefer this to the dumb hair comments like : "I bet it took a long time to grow that hair, huh" or "is that REAL" or "You have long hair" (oh really? I didn't notice!)

spidermom
February 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Nope; I have never had this happen. I've read many complaints about it from other LHCers, though. Either I'm not that approachable, people around here keep to themselves, or my hair is just not that pet-worthy.

Juneii
February 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
would you let other people pet your breasts - or any part of your body for the matter? most don't. your hair is a part of your body as well. I'm pretty iffy when people touch my hair as well. unless I know them and know their intention when they touch my hair I'm not okay with it. I like having my personal bubble and get pretty scared and offended when someone gets too close.

Shermie Girl
February 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I must have a very stand offish vibe because people don't attempt to touch or pet my hair. Which is just fine... I am not a touchy-touchy type of person. :)

JenniferNoel
February 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
Mine gets yanked by my niece and nephew if I wear it loose when sitting down anywhere around them. I put my hair up everywhere now so it's not as much of an issue. But I have dealt with "hair petting" many times. :cheese:

Lady Danger
February 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
My grandmother did this to me all the time when I was growing up. She meant it affectionately, but I hated it because I always had a greasy scalp and when she "petted" me it would spread the grease all around and make my hair look and feel dirty. To this day, I do not like having my hair or scalp touched and I know it's from that. (Also, my hair breaks easily, so I'm skittish about people breaking it off.) People think I'm weird when they try to touch my hair and I ask them not to - I've actually had one or two get huffy because they thought I was being rude. (Frankly, I think it's rude for them to touch without asking - at least my grandmother was a relative!)

AnitaThorn
February 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
If you're not comfortable with being petted by strangers, say so. They won't know not to do that if you don't say anything. I'm a bubble type person too, but I try to give off a vibe of "DON'T touch me." I don't know how or why, I just do. :o

But anyway, pull away, say something, and do whatever you have to do to get them to STOP or to keep it from happening in the first place. And, if you have no problem with it, then ignore me! Hahaha.

Good luck!

sherigayle
February 2nd, 2010, 01:30 PM
I've never had strangers touch my hair. My BIL likes to mess with my hair when it's braided. He drops it so it thumps against my back.:rolleyes: I can't imagine touching a stranger's hair. It feels creepy just thinking about it.

ambism
February 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
When I had super-long hair... yes, it bothered me. Especially when I would just wash it, style it, perfect it... and here comes somebody who just ate and didn't wash their hands. "OMG! What pretty hair?!?!" :runs-greasy-fingers-through-my-hair-as-my-eye-twitches: AHHH!

But I always like my mommy touching my hair. I'd lay (still do) in her lap and she'd play with my hair and give me a scalp massage. (I love my mama! <3)

Also, when I was over-bleached, people (strangers) would approach me to feel the texture of my hair (usually at school): "Oh, they said your hair feels like cotton." :molests-hair: "... they were right Haha! Sorry." :walks-away: WTF? O_0

AnitaThorn
February 2nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
When I had super-long hair... yes, it bothered me. Especially when I would just wash it, style it, perfect it... and here comes somebody who just ate and didn't wash their hands. "OMG! What pretty hair?!?!" :runs-greasy-fingers-through-my-hair-as-my-eye-twitches: AHHH!

But I always like my mommy touching my hair. I'd lay (still do) in her lap and she'd play with my hair and give me a scalp massage. (I love my mama! <3)

Also, when I was over-bleached, people (strangers) would approach me to feel the texture of my hair (usually at school): "Oh, they said your hair feels like cotton." :molests-hair: "... they were right Haha! Sorry." :walks-away: WTF? O_0

That's so weird. What is with people? I mean, compliments are fine, but people shouldn't TOUCH strangers! I just don't get it.

And what's with the random people feeling your hair up at school? So odd. :p

HildeMV
February 2nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
No I've never had that happen to me. Only when I have it in a braid maybe, but it's not petting.

LadyVictoria
February 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I am the same way, stay out of my personal space. It's like when perfect strangers want to rub a pregnant womans belly. So wierd!

cmnt831
February 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
No. I'm really good at dodging :p. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.

trolleypup
February 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Sure, when it is down. Usually women...or rather, men typically ask first before they do. If it is down, it is usually in decent shape, so not so much worries about tangles and all.

Being touched in general doesn't bother me too much, and my radar is pretty good so I usually notice when people are getting close.

ambism
February 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
AnitaThorn, in urban NJ, I'm THE minority. :LMAO: People are in awe when they see hair that's not quite like their own. Cottony, almost-white hair on a teenager (back-in-the-day) is bound to get felt up and molested out of curiosity.

But, truth be told, I'm not totally innocent. I love feeling the coarse, heavy hair of most Middle-Eastern and East Asian women (and men). I envy their hair 100&#37;. However, I usually ask before I touch -- but not always. >:) (I'm a hypocrite, fo'sho'.)

restourceful
February 2nd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Yep. I totally get that. :flamed:

I don't let anyone touch mine except my DH and my nieces who love to braid it and play with it.

I'm like JenniferNoel, I wear mine at least in a pony when I go out most of the time, unless I'm out with my DH who is a big guy. No one comes near me when he's with me. This helps.

Wicked Princess
February 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have been been "petted" by strangers a few times, but they have always asked very politely before doing it. This is a fairly rare occurrence, however, because my hair is up nearly all the time.

If a person is touching you, but it seems innocent and non-threatening...just back away quickly and say that you prefer not being touched. They won't take offense - more than likely, they'll feel embarrassed of their actions more than anything else. "Keep your hands to yourself" is a lesson most people learn very early...in school, as children...if someone took offense to the reiteration of that lesson, then that is their problem, not yours. :D

My fiance is the only one who touches my hair these days with any regularity, and I love it when he does! I'll sometimes lay my head in his lap when we're reading and he pets my hair like he would a cat. I love it!

janiejones
February 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I would be absolutely freaked out if a stranger out of absolutely nowhere touched my hair. Asking first is a little different but not really. However, when you tell a stranger no, they (usually) would back off, but in my case when I tell my friends to quit petting me, they only do it more!! I don't really care that much with them, but it still makes me think geez, I didn't want to grow my hair out to be treated like a puppy dog.... :)

BelleBot
February 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
I can't stand it when people pet my hair. It creeps me out.
I only allow my mum, brother and boyfriend touch my hair and they know only to do it once in a while and know when to avoid going near my hair completely. This is part of the reason why I haven't been to the hairdressers in 2 years. Just ick having other people touch your hair.

However loads of people insist on stroking and petting it, especially when it's down. I don't mind compliments, but a stranger just grabbing at my hair or stroking me like a pet is bang out of order. Usually it's accompanied by the comment "it's so long" "it's so pretty" "it's so soft" "oh my it's real, it's not fake" (along with a painful tug to make sure).
Even when it's up I occasionally get people petting at it as they're curious as to how I make pretty up dos.

The worst offenders are the people I work with. I work with a young woman with a learning disability and she is constantly grabbing and stroking and petting my hair. I now have to wear it up whenever I see her as otherwise it's every ten minutes she goes in for a stroke. When my hair was bright pink I literally had to prise her hands away from my hair she was that bad. And she always complains when it's up as she can't see it all and can't stroke it. Can't get the message through to her I don't like having my hair played with.

I also work with the elderly and they always like to stroke my hair. But fortunately they prefer it in up dos to down so that's easy and they generally don't touch up dos for fear of ruining them, they just admire from afar which is good.

My boyfriend also has huge problems with this as he has long hair 39" just shy of tailbone (he's tall) and he also has a long beard around 8" I think. He loves having his hair and beard played with, but only by friends and family, mainly me of course. But he constantly has strangers coming up to him and petting his hair and beard. Petting a stranger's beard is way too creepy for me.

nowxisxforever
February 2nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Mine gets played with periodically. I don't mind. I'll gripe at someone for tugging when I wasn't expecting it, or simply holding on to it like a leash, but elsewise I don't mind people playing with it.

Oh, and there is someone on another team here at work that will poke the hole in the center of any bun I wear. That's a little unnerving.

Kris Dove
February 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Just my fiance, and occasionally, small children pet my hair.

Smokering
February 2nd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Ever been pregnant? Now THAT encourages random strangerly patting. I seem to exude an unpattable vibe, but I've still had the occasional clueless person try to pat either my tummy or my hair (FTR, the tummy thing was two years ago - not currently pregnant!). Most recently an affable, completely loopy old guy from church thought it was OK to shake my braid giddy-up style. Generally I wear it up though - not even down in a braid, but coiled and braided and pinned into oblivion on the back of my head, out of harm's way.

Quite apart from the personal space thing, I'd be embarrassed to have people touch my hair because the texture's not great. I don't want people knowing my hair feels like straw, or thinking it's greasy after I oiled, or something! But I just discovered Indian herbs, so maybe that can be my litmus test: "Is my hair good enough that I'd wear it down and not be ashamed to have someone touch it?"!

christine1989
February 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
I haven't had anyone pet my hair in years but I was wearing my fur coat a few days ago and about 5 people had the idea to pet me (even my eccentric German teacher!)

AnitaThorn
February 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
AnitaThorn, in urban NJ, I'm THE minority. :LMAO: People are in awe when they see hair that's not quite like their own. Cottony, almost-white hair on a teenager (back-in-the-day) is bound to get felt up and molested out of curiosity.

But, truth be told, I'm not totally innocent. I love feeling the coarse, heavy hair of most Middle-Eastern and East Asian women (and men). I envy their hair 100%. However, I usually ask before I touch -- but not always. >:) (I'm a hypocrite, fo'sho'.)

Wow, well that's good to know. It makes a little bit more sense, haha!

jera
February 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I've had people touch my hair but not exactly "pet" it. ;)

I think whether or not you allow people to touch your hair is a highly personal decision. I don't see hair as a secondary sex organ like breasts but perhaps some people do. :o It's up to you to tell those people to lay off your hair.

feb26
February 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have had my hair patted before, yes. close friends pat/play with it and I once had an older woman request to touch it..she more caressed than petted it. it creeped me out a bit but I think it's common with older women to have more interest in hair as longer hair =s fertility, youth to alot of women (maybe bringing back their younger, long hair days?)

Fiferstone
February 2nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Only once have I ever had that happen, and it was entirely by accident on the train, and the petter was a blind man who pulled a lock of my hair that was hanging over the back of my seat, when he used the handle on the top of the seat back to get up out of the chair. He apologized to me, and then told me it felt very soft.

Otherwise, I maybe look unapproachable, or my hair does not look very pet-worthy. Both of which are fine by me. And I was also never patted on the belly when I was expecting. Perhaps it has something to do with living in the Boston area and the storied New England reserve, but I don't know.

faeflame
February 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'm a really private, keep out of my space, 'bubble' person also when it comes to anyone touching me anywhere except my most immediate family. I'm so bad I get the heebyjeebies whenever my SIL touches my hair! Still, I try not to cringe when the sweet, little old ladies in my church pet my hair. I know they are just being nice and mean well, so I try to accept their good intentions and not show how squicked out I am on the inside.

ali beast
February 2nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
i have yet to experience hair petting, because my hair has never been long enough to incite that sort of thing... BUT i do have a full sleeve of tattoos that people feel compelled to try to pet, along with similar questions, "OMG IS THAT 4 REAL?!" ::reach out to stroke::

i've become quite adept at letting people look, but moving my arm away when their hand strays a little too close...

i'm gonna need eyes in the back of my head when i get some longer hair, though.

i've thought long and hard about why and how complete strangers can justify breaking the rules of general human interaction with me. i think it's cuz:

1. i'm a girl.
2. i'm "cute" (i.e. non threatening, kinda short, young-looking- not your typical tattooed stereotype.)
3. my tatts are well executed, "pretty" and fairly unique.

i bet this applies to folks whose hair is petted without consent. (non threatening ladies with beautiful, unusually long hair.)

Torrin Paige
February 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
I don't mid the petting, usually, as it is almost always older ladies, little girls, and my old man. None of these things is threatening to me. Also, my personal space bubble is pretty small. I respect others' bubbles, but don't mind so much when my own is popped. I always take it as a compliment, and as it is almost always preceeded by a request to touch, it doesn't bother me.

I have had the occasional person touch without asking, almost always while waiting in line at the grocery store, but it hasn't bothered me yet and they're always blushing and apologizing by the time I turn around. :) I actually squeezed a man's ponytail once while standing in line behind him at Sam's. He just had the most gorgeous THICK red ponytail I had ever seen, and before I even knew what my hands were doing, I was squeezing his pony. I, of course, apologized profusely, and offered my braid up for squeezing in return. He and his friend got a good laugh out of it and they were really nice, so all ended well. It did make me be a lot more understanding when I feel my hair being played with. Sometimes you just can't help it, you know?

Now, if people start "joking" about scissors and cutting...I will totally punch them in the nose.

jaine
February 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
I don't mid the petting, usually, as it is almost always older ladies, little girls, and my old man. None of these things is threatening to me. Also, my personal space bubble is pretty small. I respect others' bubbles, but don't mind so much when my own is popped. I always take it as a compliment, and as it is almost always preceeded by a request to touch, it doesn't bother me.

I have had the occasional person touch without asking, almost always while waiting in line at the grocery store, but it hasn't bothered me yet and they're always blushing and apologizing by the time I turn around. :) I actually squeezed a man's ponytail once while standing in line behind him at Sam's. He just had the most gorgeous THICK red ponytail I had ever seen, and before I even knew what my hands were doing, I was squeezing his pony. I, of course, apologized profusely, and offered my braid up for squeezing in return. He and his friend got a good laugh out of it and they were really nice, so all ended well. It did make me be a lot more understanding when I feel my hair being played with. Sometimes you just can't help it, you know?

Now, if people start "joking" about scissors and cutting...I will totally punch them in the nose.

lol ... the ponytail story is cute. :)

Beets
February 2nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
I don't see what having a husband has anything to do with it. It's not like sharing a legal status together enforces people to keep their hands to themselves, or that people who don't share a legal status together invite or are otherwise OK to touch without asking.

It does seem like a bubble thing, a personal/cultural preference for not being touched. Many other countries don't have boundaries as rigid as ours. I have a definite, pretty darn firm bubble, but I envy people who can graciously and without issue accept, even enjoy the connection! that comes with touching that is obviously harmless.

Touch is a very human thing. It's absolutely integral to our healthy development as people, and while we chose to/allow ourselves to be conditioned into not being touched by others very often, it's a pretty basic primate thing to want to investigate tactile objects with the hands. I really think some people can't help themselves. Very young and very old people, especially, seem to take this liberty with pretty hair and big, pregnant bellies. This isn't to say that you should let them if you're not comfortable, but I tend to think of it less as creepy or rude and more as uninformed about my personal preferences. But of course your gut tells you what kind of touch is good and bad. This only applies to good, albeit sometimes surprising, touch.

I work with young kids, and this comes up sometimes. I usually use a response such as:

"I'm so glad you like it," holding braid out over my shoulder, "You can touch it like this."

"Would you be willing to ask me before touching my hair? I feel most comfortable that way."

or, if the person is older and annoying me (such as the co-worker/bun poker mentioned above!) "Please don't touch my hair. If you want my attention, just say my name."

BlueMuse
February 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
I'm lucky, the only person who really goes for my hair without asking is my friend's infant son, and I don't really mind. It's probably going to do some damage to my hair, but I had a brother growing up so it's not like it's anything new for my poor scalp. Now if only I could convince the little guy not to put it in his mouth.

rchorr
February 2nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I don't mind when my family pets me, but when strangers reach for my hair, I run!

RCHORR'

SunshineHair
February 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Beets...I personally think having a husband has a lot to do with it! I would never let another man touch my hair because in a way MY hair belongs to my HUSBAND! Hair is also viewed as sexy by many so if some guy wanted to touch mine I would so be offended and move away letting him know he is not welcome to just touch any part of me whatesoever...

Torrin Paige although I totally understand the others feelings on this matter I favored your responce:) Unless the person had dirty hands I wouldnt mind, however I wouldnt want to touch someone elses hair if I didnt know them because I 'get' that many people do not like having their personal space invavded!

Alcenaia
February 3rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
When strangers touch my hair, it is quite creepy. However, I like it when people I know touch my hair. I take it as a wordless compliment.

When I was little I sometimes slept over at my grandmother's house. She would run her fingers through my hair as I fell asleep, so I have really comforting associations with that gesture.

A boyfriend I had in high school got in trouble because he was paying more attention to my hair than the lecture, lol.

A girl in my chemistry class who had little more than a pixie liked to brush my hair. The guy who sat across from us didn't "get it". We just giggled and went back to talking of hair. I'm sure everyone here understands. :D

ericthegreat
February 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
It happens to me all the time. To be quite honest, I'm flattered actually! :p
I spend every waking and even sleeping moment perfecting my hair. So for anyone, whether they be my boyfriend or a close friend or even just a total stranger I've never met before to admire my hair enough to touch it is a compliment.

Then again, I'm a guy and not a woman. I've never been conditioned to be suspicious of a stranger, particularly a male stranger in the fear that he may have less than honorable intentions for me. *I would also like to conclude that that this is only my personal perspective as another male.* No offense to all the ladies here who are more than entitled to feel however they may feel about this subject. :flower:

myrrhmaiden
February 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
...here comes somebody who just ate and didn't wash their hands. "OMG! What pretty hair?!?!" :runs-greasy-fingers-through-my-hair-as-my-eye-twitches: AHHH!

I hate that. /shudders

Dreams_in_Pink
February 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
don't know how it feels, that's one of the advantages of having coarse wiry hair :D no-one dares to touch!

Felix_D
February 3rd, 2010, 05:57 AM
I'm still very short, but I had my first touching experience yesterday and got all happy about it!

A female coworker and I are pretty close and chat a lot, and she just mentioned that my hair looked a lot shinier lately. I told her about washing with conditioner, conditioning with olive oil, and otherwise neglecting it completely. She asked to touch it and I said ok. :blushing:

But most of your stories are creepy as heck.

restourceful
February 3rd, 2010, 06:10 AM
My age may have something to do with it at this point. When I was younger, in school, my friends always wanted to play with my hair and I didn't mind it then. As I've gotten older, my personal space has increased and I have become more introverted as well. When I am out in public alone I tend not to meet people's eyes. I more or less look through them unless I am interacting with them directly, such as a cashier, or bank teller, and then it is still minimal eye contact. Call me socially awkward. I don't necessarily think this is a good thing, and I admire those of you who are okay with small personal spaces and complimentary/curious innocent touching, especially from children and the elderly. I should work on that.

Beets
February 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
The partner/hair/personal boundaries issue is a little bit of a side topic, but since the OP first brought it up, I think it's OK to keep going with it.

Beets...I personally think having a husband has a lot to do with it! I would never let another man touch my hair because in a way MY hair belongs to my HUSBAND!

Do your eyes belong to your husband, or can you look where you want? Do your legs belong to your husband, or can you walk where you want? Does your mind belong to your husband, or can you think what you want? To me, a healthy partnership is made when two people agree to take actions that are mutually respectful and enjoyable for both, not when people assign ownership or control over to someone else.

Hair is also viewed as sexy by many so if some guy wanted to touch mine I would so be offended and move...

Again, this is assigning an awful lot of power to someone else. Since other people view hair as sexy, YOU are taking responsibility for their feelings and altering your behavior to accommodate it. Where does this end? What if hands suddenly became the sexy thing? Would you wear gloves? Refrain from shaking hands? Being creeped out by someone who is obviously getting a rise from your hair is totally understandable, but taking a blanket action just because many people find hair sexy is different.

away letting him know he is not welcome to just touch any part of me whatesoever...

This seems like a leap. Touching your hair out of curiosity is not, say, putting a finger in your ear or pressing a body against yours. This sounds like fear talking.

Beesweet
February 3rd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Nope; I have never had this happen. I've read many complaints about it from other LHCers, though. Either I'm not that approachable, people around here keep to themselves, or my hair is just not that pet-worthy.

Spidermom, your hair is totally "pet-worthy!" :)

JamieLeigh
February 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
I never let other people touch my hair, not only because it's my bubble and it's rude, but also because you never know where other people's hands have been. The last time I entered a bathroom in Walmart, not to use it - I always hold it until I'm home!!! - to redo my slipping hairstick, I watched a long train of women leave the restroom without so much glancing towards the sinks. I was appalled.

I think a nice, gentle "I'm not really comfortable with that," would be all right in your case. And in my opinion, if you give them a polite "please don't" and they touch it anyway - they deserve a more abrupt comment. Most people I've encountered just speak their compliments or questions or dumb comments (it's so long!! Wow, really? Gosh...). And I usually have my hair up anyway, so I don't have a lot of touchy moments from strangers.

Schnee
February 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yes, I've experienced touching/petting.. a lot really. Usually it's grown women sneaking up behind me and touching my braid, stroking it and, occasionally, they will weigh the braid in their hand and then just drop it so it whips into my back!!! They never ask and their very quick about it. Yes, it really makes me rather pissed off. But unfortunately it's hard to prevent since, I, unlike my mother, don't have eyes in the back of my head...

spidermom
February 3rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Spidermom, your hair is totally "pet-worthy!" :)

Thank you. Then I guess it boils down to A) I'm not very approachable (and I'm not), or B) people around here keep to themselves more than other places.

*Aoife*
February 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'd go mad if someone grabbed my hair!! I don't even like close friends in my space (which they know and respect). It'd be a bit like some random person grabbing my face.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2010, 11:02 AM
I just remembered an incident that happened not long ago. I wore my hair partially braided back but left loose in the back to a Christmas party last year. A young man (YM) who most likely had Down syndrome came up behind me while I was seated, grabbed the back of my hair, and looked underneath as if he expected to see maybe a horse's butt under there. His father came running over saying "no-no, don't touch, put it down" and YM said joyously "Hair!" His father sort of shook/pried YM's fingers out of my hair, so then YM sat beside me and laid his head on my arm. So I reached over with my other hand and patted his head and he called over to his father "She hit me!"

I wasn't grossed out or anything; it was kind of funny, but embarrassing too because a lot of people were looking.

Yozhik
February 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Spidermom -- that's a great story! I'd be highly amused if something like that happened to me . . . once I was at a school dance, and one of the boys from the special ed. class came over and asked me to dance with him. I did, although a lot of people laughed at us, but it's a good memory, because I think he had fun.

My hair certainly isn't long enough to get attention in public, but because it's fairly curly right after I wash it, I generally tend to not like anyone touching it because it disrupts the curl and makes it all frizzy :o

Sammich
February 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I must be the strangest person but I love my hair being touched! :p
... not by UTTER strangers, but.. aquaintances and everyone are fine. I don't know why but I just love the feeling, I guess I'm such an attention seeker. ;)

artist
February 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, i get my hair patted also.. i have long wavy almost white gray hair ! It is almost like the person dosn't believe it is my hair ! I don't normally like anyone to touch my scalp, or hair, but i think the person means well when they have to touch my hair. sort of like when i see a brushcut, i love to run the palm of my hand on the brushcut !

Othala
February 3rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
The only person who is allowed to pet me and my hair is my OH. Anyone else will get bitten.

Narya
February 3rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'd be quite surprised if a complete stranger tried to or touched my hair, but any other way I don't mind as long as they're gentle and not creepy. As I work with children, if I'm not wearing it up in a bun it generally ends up being touched, sometimes quite "brutishly", by their little touch-everything hands, but I think this made me realize that is nearly an instinctive response to something that looks interesting, intriguing or just "good". It's like and instinctive human behaviour that gets creepy because of the social guidelines: we are taught it is not nice to touch somebody we don't know well, even if we don't mean harm and it's just out of awe.

Anyway, one of my best memories ever related to long hair was when, at school, when the kids were playing a group of five or six 3year old kids took turns for "combing and styling" my hair. I ended up with some nasty tangles, but they were trying to be so gentle, and were so fascinated by long hair, that it was an amazing experience. I felt loved and cared by those little human beings, so clear and direct, and meaning no harm at all... it made me feel warm, and really proud of the job I'm doing.

If a similar situation comes up again in the future, I won't hesitate to do it again, with tangles and all.

jera
February 3rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Only once have I ever had that happen, and it was entirely by accident on the train, and the petter was a blind man who pulled a lock of my hair that was hanging over the back of my seat, when he used the handle on the top of the seat back to get up out of the chair. He apologized to me, and then told me it felt very soft.

OMG. The exact same thing happened to me except I was on a bus at the time and the blind guy didn't say anything. And worse, when I got up and changed my seat, he got up too and followed me around the bus. It was so bad, I actually had to get off the bus and take another. It was really stalking. I felt bad for wanting to complain because the guy was blind, but he was obviously excited by my hair and it creeped me out big time.:rolleyes: I'd never experienced anything like this before, or since, but it's made me tense about showing my hair. There are a lot of nuts around.

MandyBeth
February 3rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I don't even have long hair, and people love to pet it. Gak!!!! It's one thing with family - and even younger kids as my freshly hennaed hair was quite the topic when I was with my nephews class - but grown adults should know better! Gak, gak, gak. I hate the "Oh, it's so soft, it's like cat hair" or the "Pat, pat, stroke - how do you get your hair that shiny?"

I'm tempted to start doing it back with the suitable comment. Like "Oh, your poor hair, it's so damaged from the bleach" or "Awww, your scalp is so smooth and hairless."

Really, I'm not TOO bad if you just ask first. But the random hair pats, ick.

LadyJennifer
February 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I never had that when my hair was long - though I did get compliments. I apparently give off a "don't touch me" vibe as well. I never had strangers touch my belly when prego either, but I had a lot of friends have that problem. I'm glad, because it freaks me out when strangers invade my personal space:mad:

LadyJennifer
February 3rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
My age may have something to do with it at this point. When I was younger, in school, my friends always wanted to play with my hair and I didn't mind it then. As I've gotten older, my personal space has increased and I have become more introverted as well. When I am out in public alone I tend not to meet people's eyes. I more or less look through them unless I am interacting with them directly, such as a cashier, or bank teller, and then it is still minimal eye contact. Call me socially awkward. I don't necessarily think this is a good thing, and I admire those of you who are okay with small personal spaces and complimentary/curious innocent touching, especially from children and the elderly. I should work on that.

I'm this way in public as well, I'm not sure why; but I'm working on not ignoring people! lol
With my friends and fam I'm totally different and enjoy affection and so on; with strangers, I need space and lots of it.

Honey39
February 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I don't mind people playing with it, to be honest. I had a friend who had super silky hair which was long, and she let me play with it, and I was fascinated by the texture and the way it fell, and how it felt. So different from mine, it could not be knotted or tangled. So I kind of figure others feel the same about mine, and want to sproing the curls or play with it.

Although having said that, it's usually older women who like to play with it - guys who touch it are always men I'm dating.

Hmmmm. Interesting. I'm honestly not that bothered though - I think it's because I wash it every day, so don't care about it getting 'messed' up.

walterSCAN
February 3rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Be Forewarned: I have pretty strong opinions on this subject...

It's one thing for small children (0-6), the elderly who are not still at peak mind-efficiency, and my close friends/family/SO to touch my hair without explicit permission, but for anyone else I consider it a serious breach of boundaries.

My hair is a part of my body just like any other part, and it is solely my property. No one else has any real rights to it. Therefore, you WILL ask permission to touch it, and you must RECEIVE that permission to touch it or suffer the consequences...

I feel the same about touching any part of me. It feels grossly proprietary on the part of the person touching to just touch without considering the touched person's opinion/feelings-- like, the (unconscious) thought process seems to be, "It's just as much mine as it is yours, so I have a right to touch it." And they don't just have that right... I have to give it to them. :shrug: I feel the same about my hair as I would my elbow, nose, boob, hand, etc. Unless you are in the process of saving my life (in which case, please, carry on :wink:), don't touch me without consulting me first. And respect my feelings on the matter.

Heh, reading this thread has made me indecently angry... just the thought that someone might randomly decide to grab/touch/pet my hair really p*^$#@ me off... :p I gotta calm down... :wink: Fortunately, I seem to give off a 'DO NOT INVADE MY SPACE'/that-girl-is-scary vibe. :p

I've only actually had one episode where someone touched my hair without permission and it was incredibly creepy in itself... I was in high school, walking down the hallway, and turned around because I felt something on/slightly pulling my hair. I turned around just in time to see a guy I didn't know very well dropping a lock of my hair from his face. I think he was smelling it. shudder: I was so weirded out/shocked by it that I just stared him down... he finally walked away and never did it again...

WaitingSoLong
February 4th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I am the same way, stay out of my personal space. It's like when perfect strangers want to rub a pregnant womans belly. So wierd!

I was going to say this. I always hated it when people would touch my belly when I was pregnant (without asking). Strangers would do that.

Now, I have never had a stranger touch my hair, it is people I know, but I still do not like it!

I have been told I exude the "don't touch me" vibe but that must have worn off some since I hit my 30's or something. I haven't had a pregnant belly for 11+ years so I only vaguely recall how annoying that was. Seems I was more perturbed with the "when are you due" questions so I must have still exuded a don't touch vibe then.

I think it is different for children,I would never be offended by kids or learning disabled, etc, I am talking people who ought to know tact.

Married or not, I am not up for "grabs" (literally) unless I give express permission. I agree, being single does not invite strangers touch, but I disagree that not wanting to be touched (especially by men) is a fear of any kind. Every time I have been complimented by a man about my hair, it was always a flirtatious thing. I am happy men would still find me atractive at 34, but at the same time, they should think (or look for a wedding ring) first.

But to sum it up, I think my main issue is respect of my personal space, whether it be my hand, arm, hair, whatever. I would never touch another person without asking unless they needed physical help. When my best girl friend was pregnant, my BEST FRIEND, I always asked her before I touched her belly. I understand you cannot expect everyone to have the same boundaries or know your without asking...again...ASK FIRST. Chances are if you ask, I would present my hair to you to be touched.

Again, it is usually motherly women who touch my hair and I am not offended by it, just don't like it!

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2010, 07:37 AM
The random hair attacks are never from kids or the elderly I've found. The kids, well my nephews class all wanted to pet my pony tail because my nephew likes to pet my hair and it was different I think. It is bright bright red, it's really soft and silky, and oh well. They can't do random attacks because they aren't tall enough to reach.

Elderly - I've always had them ask first, and then, naw, I don't care. I've gotten several gentlemen who say how nice my hair is, and how they love to see someone take care of their hair like their wives did to keep it soft and nice. And I just think of the little old lady who in church who if I have my hair mussed, she just wants to fix it. Eh, no biggie.

I'll see how it goes when it gets longer.

Unzadi
February 4th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I don't wear my hair down (unless a braid counts) in public much, so actual petting doesn't have many opportunities to happen, but I had my bun poked in church this week, and after the poke, the poker decided that the best way to find out how my hair toy held my hair up was to start fiddling with the toy. My first instinct was to reach back and slap, but I didn't, because A) hitting old people in church is wrong, and B) I was still disconcerted from the poker coming up behind me while I was praying and putting her arms around my neck. Gaaaah!

Another time in (a different) church, I felt a hand on my bun and whipped around to deliver a death glare, only to face the sheepish smile of Other Longhair, who explained she saw my hairstick was about to slip out. Seeing as how that bun would have come completely down if the stick came out, and I had a passing acquaintance with Other Longhair, that was fine.

boomygrrl
February 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I don't usually mind if people touch my hair, as long as they don't pull on it. I have two male friends who like to touch my hair sometimes. I have medium-long hair (it's above BSL) but it's curly curly curly. People like to boing my curls.
One of my male friends reverts back to a little child when he touches my hair...in a kiddish voice he says "curly." It's cute. He means no harm. Curly hair brings out the kid in people, I think.
Another male friend is African-American and he just can't get over how soft my hair is. He also likes to smell it. Maybe weird, but he's really a good friend, so it's okay.

Edit to Add: I indicated he's African-American...I had a point to this. I'm wondering if he thinks because my hair is curly and somewhat frizzy that it should be dry/brittle?

Fractalsofhair
February 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
A lot of people actually do this because my hair is shiny and it's not fried, unlike a lot of girls in my town. Mostly guys, which is kinda creepy, but really, most of them are just surprised that my hair isn't extensions or something with the shine and non fried look, even though it's not that long and really, most of the girls I know, if they'd use conditioner and do roots only for bleaching or something, it would look fine.

I think it's fine if I'm friends with someone. When it's pretty much a stranger, it's creepy.

jmallen62691
February 4th, 2010, 02:58 PM
This has never happened to me, but I generally like to be petted. Just not by strangers. Lol! I'm not a touchy person either. I don't initiate hugs or touch other people in most social situations. I really don't mind if they do, but I think I give off the "don't touch" vibe, like a PP mentioned.

Niftytiffs
February 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
One of the people I work with touches my hair and I dont mind when she does. I usually wear it in a ponytail and so it falls down my back. I sit at my workbench on a stool and so when my friend sees that my hair is in disaray (caught across my back instead of a neat ponytail) she usually pulls it together and smoothes it down.

I do find that when I wear it in a braid though, people tug it. I guess because my back is generally towards them, they use it to get my attention without stopping me working! I dont mind really!

restourceful
February 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Yes, I've experienced touching/petting.. a lot really. Usually it's grown women sneaking up behind me and touching my braid, stroking it and, occasionally, they will weigh the braid in their hand and then just drop it so it whips into my back!!! They never ask and their very quick about it. Yes, it really makes me rather pissed off. But unfortunately it's hard to prevent since, I, unlike my mother, don't have eyes in the back of my head...

Schnee, your new siggy pic is stunning! I might be tempted myself to want to touch your gorgeous waves. But I will refrain. Just getting to look feels like I've been granted a wish.:magic:

Johanna
February 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I have had co-workers tug on my braid a few times. Really didn't enjoy that at all.
I've had a weird person smell my hair once.

My fiance's family know a blind man, they told him about me and that I had very long hair. He asked if he could feel it. I was ok with that since he had asked and it wasn't creepy.

I do love my partner playing with my hair though, it's so nice. I'm teaching him how to braid :) It's very relaxing to have people play with your hair without them tugging on it or invading your personal space.

Schnee
February 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Schnee, your new siggy pic is stunning! I might be tempted myself to want to touch your gorgeous waves. But I will refrain. Just getting to look feels like I've been granted a wish.:magic:
Thank you. Looking is fine, touching no-no. :p and I should mention the waves are braid waves. Really should write that i siggy, just forgot. :o

hydrangea
February 5th, 2010, 03:10 AM
It happens to me at work, and I'm not sure why. I don't have long hair (...yet! :D) and I wear it in a ponytail so it's not like I have beautiful soft spirals going down my back (still would not be appropriate..but maybe I would understand it more, lol) . It's very intrusive and invades my personal bubble, but I don't know how to approach her, because I see her every day. I've noticed this woman doing it to other people too...maybe she just has a fascination with hair. If it was a stranger I'd have no problem saying hands off.

Savvyhorsez
February 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I allow people to run their fingers through it if they ask, but NO PETTING. I am NOT a DOG. Sorry, that's just my feelings on the subject.

Copasetic
February 5th, 2010, 08:51 AM
People pet or scrunch my hair all the time. It drives me insane. I don't like it when strangers touch me, and I really can't stand having my hair/face touched. When it happens I generally just smile and brush it off though, because I don't want to embarrass the person that touched me.

Aquamarine
February 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm a touch-feely person.I believe hair is just like any other body part. I absolutely hate it when someone touches my hair.:eek: It drives me crazy. It's okay if my family or close friends pet it but they should ask first! But people just don't seem to understand this :shrug:

Strangers (at church or mall...usually when I stand in a queue) sometimes touch my hair..usually pick up my braid and say "You have beautiful hair!" or "your hair is so looong" (yeah I know my hair is long but shouldn't they be asking first?)

The other day, I was sitting in class and felt a slight tug on my braid. I turned around to see this guy Joe playing with my hair...he's curling my hair around his fingers and he almost smelled my hair.eeeeeeeeek! He was like "I was just playing with it, your hair's so soft, felt like touching it " I was like:scared: :angry::headache::argue::o:confused:

Miasen
February 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't like it if strangers touched my hair, but that hasn't happened. Friends and family love to play with my hair, and that doesn't bother me at all. I'm so used to it by now. Like if I'm at a party and a friend walks by and just can't help herself stopping and playing a bit with my ponytail--has happened a lot, but that's totally alright by me. :)

Also, not bothered by those so-called "silly" hair comments some seem bothered with. (Like "That must have taken a long time to grow" or whatever. My hair is my nicest feature, it's nice to get comments about it, not matter how they are formulated. They all mean it in a good way.) I'm a pretty laid-back person all in all. XD

K_Angel
February 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
One time I was in line at the grocery store and a woman behind me started petting my hair! Freaked me out! When I turned around, it turned out to be the drive-thru bank teller lady and she said, "Oh! Your hair is longer than it looks from the car!"

Since I sort of knew her and thought she was a good teller, I decided not to say anything about it. :rollin:

curlylocks85
February 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM

You are too funny!

ravensinger13
February 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
When I was in high school, it was very common for me to have my hair 'petted,' pulled, or generally messed with by my classmates. There were less than 100 people in the entire high school, so it really wasn't a big deal for me. If someone got creepy about it, I growled at them and it was, and still is, very effective!

Forever_Sophie
February 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
My boss! I hate it! and her, while I'm at it :p I'd resolved to say something, but the last time she did it, this past wk, she was on the phone and I thought she was tapping my shoulder to tell me something, but no, I looked and she was just petting my hair (for the 8th time or so!!). UGH!!

Fiferstone
February 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
OMG. The exact same thing happened to me except I was on a bus at the time and the blind guy didn't say anything. And worse, when I got up and changed my seat, he got up too and followed me around the bus. It was so bad, I actually had to get off the bus and take another. It was really stalking. I felt bad for wanting to complain because the guy was blind, but he was obviously excited by my hair and it creeped me out big time.:rolleyes: I'd never experienced anything like this before, or since, but it's made me tense about showing my hair. There are a lot of nuts around.
Jera, Wowzers! Thank goodness the fellow who accidentally grabbed my hair was totally sane and normal.

Gwaihiril
February 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I actually really like having my friends play with my hair and encourage them. Strangers, though, I would agree as being creepy; sometimes when they ask, it's okay, but when someone just starts touching it without asking, it makes me a bit annoyed.

In between are people who I sort of know, like other girls who live in my friends' dorms, and I know them by sight, if not by name, and a lot of them just like to go "ooh, long pretty hair!" and fingercomb or pet it for a bit, and that's usually okay with me. If they don't give any warning, I still get slightly upset, but usually once I see who it is I'm okay with it.

Sissy
February 7th, 2010, 04:54 PM

same here... I don't usually come off as approachable and people around here do tend to keep to themselves. I can think of one time when this happened, in a store and it was a mid-aged woman who liked my hair. If it happened all the time or if the same person did it repeatedly I'd start to get worried :)

hannagrrl
February 7th, 2010, 05:07 PM
... I *tell* people to pet mine...! :shrug:

morguebabe
February 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah people touch it all the time with out asking.

I mean I don't go around honking nice breasts, or rubbing mens biceps or mens abs........ I don't get why hair is ok to touch!

And I'm far from approachable looking, I'm very cold/standoffish/anti-social looking....

WaitingSoLong
February 8th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I wonder maybe if it is somehwat the fact I put so much care and effort into making my hair healthy/nice. Ya know, like someone who touches a freshly polished/waxed car or something. I think what has likely happened is that I have lost a few strands to curious touchers along the way and now I associate hair petting with losing my precious strands!

I forgot to mention, though, I love it when my daughter plays with my hair or pets it. She is now trying to grow hers out, too! And of course my husband, who really does not care for hair much. He rarely pets it, but when he does, I just stand there forever until he is done. Of course I have no "bubble" with my immediate family!

Niftytiffs
February 9th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I've just remembered one touching event that happened when I was about 17 or 18. I used to know a guy called Kim. I think he must have partied long and hard during the 60's, at least that was the feeling I got from him! He was a lovely guy, very gentle, softly spoken and always happy. One day I was sat in the pub talking to him and suddenly sat forward and said that he simply had to ask if he could stroke my hair! He explained that the sun was shining off it and it looked so silky. I thought it was a bit odd but let him stroke it, which he did, very gently and just the once.

I dont know what happened to him because it was one of the last times I saw him. Certainly it was the last time I was able to sit and chat with him.

Tiffers

VenusHalley
February 9th, 2010, 01:00 PM
They do. I hate it. My friend (a guy) would always touch my hair when we went out and my hair was styled with glittery hairspray... Than he would tell me why do I use hairspray when it makes the hair to so pleasant to touch... Other guy I knew would I always pull the hair I put behind my ears (to keep it away from my face) into my face, because "You look better that way, you look too nerdy with hair behind your ears".

The weirdest experience I had was though... that a guy asked me to give him lock of my hair so he can weave it into his head!!! It was very bizzare situation, because he was a homeless (by his choice... he was Slovak and he had some injury on his leg - or so he said - so he thought he would be better of sleeping on a beach and begging around french resort with his friend, a runaway girl, his dog and a rabbit:D). He had already several strands weaved onto his hair (his hair was shortish, the longest strands came to his chin)... it looked quite bizzare...

merryhair
February 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I don't really mind if my friends or immediate family pet my hair. But I'm not comfortable with someone I hardly know touching my hair.:o

morguebabe
February 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM
The weirdest experience I had was though... that a guy asked me to give him lock of my hair so he can weave it into his head!!! It was very bizzare situation, because he was a homeless (by his choice... he was Slovak and he had some injury on his leg - or so he said - so he thought he would be better of sleeping on a beach and begging around french resort with his friend, a runaway girl, his dog and a rabbit:D). He had already several strands weaved onto his hair (his hair was shortish, the longest strands came to his chin)... it looked quite bizzare...
That has to be the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

curlylocks85
February 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I ran into someone I knew in high school and a minute after she saw me she just reached up and grabbed my hair and started feeling it.

I am not sure how I feel about it; I have mixed emotions.

I am glad that someone liked my hair so much that they wanted to touch it, but at the same time I felt a violation of privacy.

She asked me how I got my braid- waves and I told her I just made to English braids. She seemed quite shocked at that. I suppose she was expecting a different response.

She asked how I kept it so soft and shiny. I told her lots of hair oils and moisturizing treatments once a week.

Through this conversation she kept touch my hair. I think that for women there seems to be an unspoken rule that since we are women we have right touch things if we know each other. This is not gospel just a personal observation.

I know I am not fond of people touching my hair unless I want them to even if they ask, but this caught me by surprise. I wanted to tell her not to touch me but at the same time I liked that she was intrigued enough to touch it and compliment me.

Oh the dilemma of emotions. :shrug:

Smokering
February 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
A) hitting old people in church is wrong
Solid morals you got there. :lol:

Heh - reading this thread is making my scalp tingle! I wouldn't want strangers playing with my hair, but I used to like DH playing with it, and nowadays I wear it up all the time so he can't. Maybe I'll ask him for a scalp massage later today. :) The one thing I miss about going to the hairdresser's it how nice it felt when they washed my hair with the hand-held shower head thingy. Such a great feeling!

Slightly OT, but I was another "touch my pregnant tummy and die" person. I wouldn't even let my sister touch my tummy when she was visiting from England. She begged at the airport, but... nope. I was all "It isn't really the baby, you know, it's me...". I did let a friend pat it once when she asked straight out, but I regretted it - she didn't just pat, but prodded and squished and measured with her hands and wouldn't stop until she'd felt the baby kick! It was weird... I don't think even my midwife had given me such a thorough physical by that stage. :p

spidermom
February 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
During my first pregnancy, we had a friend who always wanted to sit with me and pat my belly when he visited. He would even put his head on it and talk to the baby. We knew him well, he was a brilliant absent-minded professor type, and it was kind of cute and completely in line with his love of babies, so I didn't mind too much. It must have looked kind of weird to others, though, especially those who don't like to be touched.

If I had the same feelings about my hair being totally private as some describe here, I would wear it up when I was in public (which I usually do) and probably cover it, too. That's what I do with my other body parts that I don't want anybody touching.

cellardoor
February 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Oh, I used to love to be petted. I would make any guy I dated give me head massages while we watched TV, but strangers touching my hair is a different story. When I was in 7th grade I had really long, shiny platinum blond hair and girls at school would just come up and start messing with it. Seriously, who does things like this!?

walterSCAN
February 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
If I had the same feelings about my hair being totally private as some describe here, I would wear it up when I was in public (which I usually do) and probably cover it, too. That's what I do with my other body parts that I don't want anybody touching.

I'm really afraid that it's going to come off wrong, and I have no intent to attack or start an argument-- it's really not personal; my issue is with the line of thought-- but I feel like I have to respond here...

This mindset bothers me a lot... I'm not comfortable with others touching my hands or face without permission either, and by this logic I should cover them/keep them out of sight too if I don't want them touched.

Should I really have to do that? Shouldn't people have enough restraint/ respect for others that they don't assume that touching is ok just because I haven't completely covered myself? Do I really have to put up figurative 'barbed wire' around myself to get normal people to respect my person as mine? And if I don't, is it then my fault that someone feels like they have the right to touch me?

I don't think I should have to. I feel like there should be more self-discipline/ responsibility for one's actions involved here than that. Just like it's my responsibility to speak up (respectfully, unless the touching is obviously malicious) when someone violates my boundaries for my person, it's others' responsibility to control themselves and not assume that because something is visible it is also ok to touch.

Again, I'm not trying to be offensive/argumentative, and I apologize if it comes off that way. I just feel really strongly on this subject...

lilmsj
February 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
can you imagine being called down to the principals office and getting yelled at for skipping classes and then you get hair molested and he says dont let it happen again and takes a wiff of your hair...nweird

curlylocks85
February 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
can you imagine being called down to the principals office and getting yelled at for skipping classes and then you get hair molested and he says dont let it happen again and takes a wiff of your hair...nweird

What a creepy pervert!