PDA

View Full Version : Growing out layers--chop or trim/shape?

Um Enis
February 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
Has anyone successfully grown out their layers just trimming them (keep their shape) which letting them all grow longer?

Is it unlikely that a hairdresser will be able to "just trim" them?

Is it better just to chop them and microtrim myself?

Bluebell
February 2nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
I had a layered deep V which I'm trying to grow out. In November I chopped 2 or 3 inches off myself. I always cut my own hair, I don't trust hairdressers.
I still have layers, they will come off when I trim them again. Don't know when that will be and how much I will cut...
I've heard success stories about hairdressers who do listen, but I don't take the risk.
Feye's cutting methode works fine.

Little_Bird
February 2nd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Do you mean keeping the layers while growing, and still trimming them?

I've seen some posts in the forum about people doing this successfully in hairdressers. Still I guess there is a way you could do it yourself...

As layers are cut in a V shape, usually, you could try trimming each one individually with Feye's self trimming method, by separating them horizontally at the roots.

I had some classmates who layered their hair by tilting the head down and cutting it that way...

But still, there must be plenty of people around able to help you much better than me. I'm going for a blunt hemline :p I wish you good luck! And yes, I think what you want is very possible :flower:

Pear Martini
February 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have been doing the growing out layers for the past 8 months. I trim them often because they are so damaged. In the past 8 months I have gotten either one or two hair cuts to shape up the bottom. My layers are certainly getting closer to being even with the rest of my hair.

I am lucky my hair is APL and my layers are around SL.

Lexie
February 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
I use the Flowbee to grow my hair while retaining my layers. I recently ordered the Robocut because part of my Flowbee was destroyed. Replacing that part was the same price as the Robo... I just cut the same length all over. My 'longest' layer is about 7" longer than my 'shortest,' but each individual hair is really the same length. It takes maybe 5 minutes to give myself a trim and I never have to worry about scissors-happy hairdressers or sweeping up hair off the floor/myself.

I don't know about the Robocut much yet, but I know with the Flowbee, you can just keep adding spacers to get to 24" in length. But it would probably be best to use a good vacuum then instead of the one you can buy with it as a regular vacuum would likely have more power.

girlcat36
February 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
As you probably already know, I was half bald when I joined LHC. I had no hair on the bottom half of the back of my head.
This meant that my two 'layers' were at least 10" apart. Slowly over the last 2.5 years I trimmed bit by bit waiting for the day that my layers would 'meet' without having to do a big chop.
In December in did my final trim to make the longer layer even with the shorter growing in layer. :cheese:
It took two and a half years, but finally my hemline is even! Thought I would never get there without having to go short!

ETA: I did my owm microtrims.

curlylocks85
February 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I have not tried that method. I have some layers and I just keep trimming the ends of my hair and leave the layers so they can grow.

I think if I kept trimming them it would just take longer for them to grow out to a point where I can maintain at length I am comfortable with and then I could just trim them all off and keep growing.