PDA

View Full Version : Not very many blondes on this site...

PrincessBlondie
February 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hello everyone! I have been viewing this forum for many, many months, and have now finally joined up!

I couldn't help but notice there are not many blondes on here! Though, I am a coloured blonde (for 15 years), thus would love some tips on keeping blonde hair from turning brassy...

I have used clarifying shampoos and blue/lilac shampoos/conditioners. But was wondering if anyone on here has other tips.

I have seen "honey lightening" discussed on here.....

I do find my once a week pure coconut oiling (left on overnight), seems to freshen my colour, as being fab conditioning treatment!

SimplyViki
February 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hmm, just hang around a bit more. There are lots of blondes here, actually. :) Welcome! :flower:

PrincessBlondie
February 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you for the welcome Viki! :)

Whenever I have viewed the forum in the past, its usually henna coloured ladies I see and their tips. :o

curlylocks85
February 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
I am not a blonde-haired person, but my mother is and she sometimes uses lemons in the shower. I think though you would have to spend some time in the sun for it to activate in your hair. :confused:

PrincessBlondie
February 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yip, I knew about the lemons and then sunlight! But its a tad damaging and drys out the hair! I believe it works better on natural hair, not on colour processed hair. But thank you for posting the tip! :)

frangipani
February 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM
There are plenty of blonde people on this site, chemical and natural , i'm one of em

Here are some threads specifically about blonde hair

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21256

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6310

But i agree, we should start some more :)

HairColoredHair
February 1st, 2010, 09:11 PM
There's lots of blondes here! I'm one (sort of) .....under the henna....

Aer
February 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'm not a blonde, but my best friend is, and he uses a chamomile and marigold tea rinse in the shower to bring out gold tones. Welcome to TLHC!

GuinevereMay
February 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm a blonde, well, a strawberry blonde.

KellyC
February 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
I'm a natural blonde and I just wait till the summer... Going to the beach really lightens my hair even when I use sun protecting spray..

LadyVictoria
February 1st, 2010, 10:31 PM
I'm a natural blonde so unfortunately I can't offer any tips on preserving your color. Do you use a shampoo designed for blonde hair? I have seen a few at Walmart that are specifically for colored blondes. Just a thought. Welcome to TLHC!

GuinevereMay
February 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM
Lush's Daddy-o shampoo is designed to help blondes stay less brassy. It's a lovely purple color and smells like violets.
http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/bottled-shampoos/daddyo

Rivanariko
February 2nd, 2010, 01:36 AM
I'm a natural blonde, but I've never done anything specific to try to preserve the color, just try to avoid things that might change the color! I definitely get a lot lighter in the summer when I'm spending all day out in the sun though!

Zindell
February 2nd, 2010, 03:10 AM
Natural blonde signing in!

It gets lighter in the summer from the sun, and darker in the winter. I don't mind. :)

Anlbe
February 2nd, 2010, 04:15 AM
I'm a wannabe blonde. The light conditions in my avatar were generous. I'm currently growing out a hideous highlight job from about three years ago - only two more years and I'll be back to where I started! I've used camomile rinses and camomile/honey treatments to brighten my hair and I also use Phyto's blondefying shampoo which I find allows me to go 4-6 months between having my roots done. I'll carefully watch this thread to see if anyone comes up with interesting suggestions.

pelicano
February 2nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
I'm a once-blonde, now murky dull colour. I seem to remember I looked for a violet type shampoo and couldn't find anything sulfate-free in the UK. :(

elina333
February 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
Hello there my fellow blonde :D

I use Matrix So Silver schampoo every so often to brighten my color. I havent really tried anything else... Well, the Blonde Glam treatment from Redken then. Its a moisturizing treatment with purple pigments.

But I will follow this thread as Im curious myself of tips and tricks for blondes ;)

Cheers!

Gypsygirl
February 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM
I am blonde but a darker shade of blonde so I get very light foil highlights a couple of times a year. I use lots of chamomile tea and lemon juice in between touch-ups... You might also want to protect your hair from the sun as much as you can.

Carolyn
February 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Gee, I didn't know we were that rare :D There are quite a few of us around. Try a blue/violet S & C. Sally's has Shiny Silver which I like. The Lush shampoo mentioned in another post is nice too. Sometimes I'll add laundry bluing to a vinegar rinse too.

Clarisse
February 2nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
I'm blonde, though my hair color is naturally "brassy" - not strawberry, just a tad more golden and with some red streaks in the nape - and I actually like the golden/reddish hue :P
Using products containing purple pigments and making sure that the water you wash your hair with isn't loaded with reddish ions should keep the orange color at bay, I think... But since I'm not bottle blonde, I don't know for sure.

redneckprincess
February 2nd, 2010, 05:25 AM
I am a future ex blonde....I still have about 8" of bleached hair at my ends, I dont know if that really counts, but it is what it is!!:D

Margeaux
February 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM
Blonde signing in! All those links to blonde hair posts are very handy...

UP Lisa
February 2nd, 2010, 05:56 AM
Natural blonde here. Not as light as when I was a child, but still blonde, I think.

Merewen
February 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Another blonde saying hi. Welcome!

justgreen
February 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
One thing I find helping is after washing and rinsing my hair, I do a final rinse with 12 ounces of distilled water. This helps sluice of any minerals that might be in the water , before they have a chance to attach themselves and do their brassy thing on your hair.

Altocumulus
February 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Another blonde here...well, blonde to shoulder length, and then henna the rest of the way. I'll be all blonde again someday!

I'm an ash blonde, so I don't have much experience with brassiness, but people seem to like those purple shampoos that counteract the yellow tint.

Welcome to the boards!

Liss
February 2nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
I've been trying the honey ligthening treatments for the past month (5 times) and haven't noticed any change at all!

I'm not sure if I just need more treatments, or if I'm not doing it correctly, or if I have bad honey, or if my hair just doesn't take to honey lightening... but I'll keep trying.

As for maintaining the colour, the blondest part of my hair is from highlights (about 10 years worth) but I've never noticed any need for special colour correcting products. I have noticed the difference in condition to the hair that is virgin - less shine, drier, duller, etc, so I think that keeping coloured hair in top condition and well hydrated will assist with keeping the colour perfect for longer.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome to LHC from one blonde to another.

Gypsygirl
February 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Ktani created a social group for blondes quite a while ago, by the way:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=198

Messyhair
February 2nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Ditto for the chamomile and marigold. I don't tend to use the natural stuff, but it probably works better than using products with those ingredients in them. I haven't tried to brighten up my blond in a while, since I find I look better with it darker, but I do still have some Sunsilk - I think - with chamomile in it that I have to use up (I could never throw out any product!).

Magdalene
February 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm a blonde, too!

Bellona
February 2nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
I'm a natural medium blonde, but I had kept my hair dyed white blonde for a long time, since it doesn't take much to lighten it to that shade. I've been growing out my bleached hair for 6 months, and my natural hair is actually much lighter than I thought it was! Even light hair can look like it has "dark" roots next to platinum blonde.

Anyway, I used a violet "toner" shampoo to keep the brassiness at bay. I used to get mine at Sally's when I was in the USA, but I've seen them pretty much everywhere online.

GoddesJourney
February 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
There are a lot of henna heads on this site so you may not notice that a lot of them are naturally blonde. Also, since a lot of blondes get darker over time, you may not notice them as much, since they don't stand out as *blonde* like they did as children. Funny thing, often brunettes get lighter...

WaitingSoLong
February 2nd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi! I am a natural blondie. I have not noticed a deficit of blondes on LHC, though. I dyed my hair auburn but went back to natural a few years back. I dyed it back to my natural color and it has grown out much since. I only have about 6" left of that dyed hair and hope to have it all cut off some day. I can still see the line, but mostly on the underside of my hair because the sun bleaches out the outer-side to match the dyed color. People ask me if I dye my hair because my roots tend to grow out pretty dark plus I have brown eyebrows AND brown eyes and people cannot believe you can be a natural blonde with brown eyes, etc. Well, you can. My sister is the same way.

My hair has gotten darker as I have gotten older but always bleaches out in the summer. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I am anxious for summer again because my roots are so dark that when I bun, I look like I have brown hair with a blonde bun! I feel I look best in my natural light blonde, though auburn hair did look good on me because it matched my eyes. People could not believe I was not a natural auburn gal.

Now I cannot stand the thought of chemical treating my hair since I still have a long way to go for my goal length. I am glad you posted this thread, I was actually on here to ask a question about natural blonde lightening options. I have never heard of purple shampoo. The honey thing I just am not willing to do. I tried it once. I will have to check out the purple shampoo thing. Probably I should just be patient and wait for summer. I like the dark locks of hair that are natural in my hair. The two toned look is desirable for me. If the purple shampoo would eventone it, I would not do it.

shwankie
February 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Another natural blond saying hello and welcome! I use a white vinegar/purified water rinse on my hair, which keeps it shiny and knocks out any water chemicals and buildup.

I do dye my hair once or twice a year, but it's to return my hair to it's natural color because it goes absolutely white in the summers and I look bizarre with weird horizontal stripes.

Kirzja
February 2nd, 2010, 01:05 PM
Another natural light blonde here!
Welcome to LHC :)

To be honest, I have no idea how to enhance your color.
I personally love the idea of having all-natural hair, so I don't bleach / dye / lighten.

jeno
February 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm blond too! I haven't noticed the brasiness in a hair until recently... My virgin hair isn't brassy at all, it's only my highlighted hair that is. My hair looks kind of golden blond, but I want my natural ashy tone because it suits my complexion better. I don't know what to do about it though, other than slowly trimming it away.

WritergirlAD
February 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm a natural blonde too (darker blonde than I used to be, but still...)

PrincessBlondie
February 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Thank you all, for your replies and tips...:)

BrightEyes
February 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm a blondie too! Go blondes!:cheese:

chargersfan
February 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Another natural blonde here. It is definitely getting darker as I get older (and got much darker during pregnancy). I don't know what color to call it, some call it dark blonde, some medium blonde, some call it dirty blonde, heck, I don't know. It seems like I have every color of hair mixed in when looking closely at my hair (from platinum blonde to black), which is kind of cool.

Shell
February 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I have brown eyebrows AND brown eyes and people cannot believe you can be a natural blonde with brown eyes, etc. Well, you can.

I am a natural blonde with brown eyes. We come in all shapes, shades, and eye colors.

Just checking in. I don't have any experience with getting rid of brassiness, as I am a strawberry blonde, and so am naturally brassy.

GuinevereMay
February 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I am a natural blonde with brown eyes. We come in all shapes, shades, and eye colors.

Just checking in. I don't have any experience with getting rid of brassiness, as I am a strawberry blonde, and so am naturally brassy.
Is strawberry blonde brassy? I've never thought of my hair as brassy. Does it look brassy?

ktani
February 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hello everyone! I have been viewing this forum for many, many months, and have now finally joined up!

I couldn't help but notice there are not many blondes on here! Though, I am a coloured blonde (for 15 years), thus would love some tips on keeping blonde hair from turning brassy...

I have used clarifying shampoos and blue/lilac shampoos/conditioners. But was wondering if anyone on here has other tips.

I have seen "honey lightening" discussed on here.....

I do find my once a week pure coconut oiling (left on overnight), seems to freshen my colour, as being fab conditioning treatment!

Welcome to LHC!

You can also use you coconut oil as a pre-treatment with your colour applied over it, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-1-of-3-part-series-on-innovative.html

MsBubbles
February 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
Is strawberry blonde brassy? I've never thought of my hair as brassy. Does it look brassy?

Well I think 'brassy' must have become a dirty word somewhere down the line! I don't consider naturally strawberry blond folks to be brassy, because the red in their hair looks like it belongs (because it does!). I think when we ashy-blondes without an ounce of red get a bad highlight job or put pure peroxide on our hair, the red tones just look out of place among the otherwise ash light brown hair. But that's just my opinion and what I have noticed about my own hair.

Very eye-catching thread title! I agree with whoever said many dark blondes here have turned to henna. It seems to add good stuff to hair, whereas it's almost impossible to lighten one's hair shade without taking something valuable away from the hair strands. Since we're all about growing hair, bleaching/highlighting and growing great lengths are mutually exclusive for many people.

There's also a thread around here somewhere talking about dark blonde/ashy brown haired people not liking their natural hair color. Interesting thread because many of us were spoiled by lovely bright blonde hair as kids, only to have it turn a less glamorous color by late teens, early 20s.

I must say after hanging out here a few years I am liking my highlights less and preferring my own natural dark ashy blonde.

verene
February 3rd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Another blond checking in. I was light-blond as a child but dark blond now as an adult. My hair sometimes looks brassy - but it's natural and I think it is usually just the lighting of the place I'm in that makes it look weird. I don't do anything in particular to maintain my color. It is what is it; if it changes it changes. And I can never predict what shade of blond I will be from one day to the next so I just relax and enjoy my color change hair.

chargersfan
February 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
There's also a thread around here somewhere talking about dark blonde/ashy brown haired people not liking their natural hair color. Interesting thread because many of us were spoiled by lovely bright blonde hair as kids, only to have it turn a less glamorous color by late teens, early 20s.

I must say after hanging out here a few years I am liking my highlights less and preferring my own natural dark ashy blonde.

I would like to see that thread! I want to love my darker blonde hair color. When I see pics of me as a teenager I'm jealous of my light blonde locks. I hope I grow to love my color more.

Katze
February 4th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I would like to see that thread! I want to love my darker blonde hair color. When I see pics of me as a teenager I'm jealous of my light blonde locks. I hope I grow to love my color more.

I am another one. I think society - and our media-saturated minds - drill into us that we NEED dramatic coloring to be pretty. And blonde, of course, has its own mythos and mystique.

It is a very common pattern to be blonde as a child and darker as an adult. So, at least for Europeans, blonde represents young, fresh, virginal...and many of us have sought to hold on to that.

In my head, I am a blonde, but I have decided that I would rather have the healthiest hair possible for me than be blonde again. Also, without constant use of toners or violet shampoos, bleached/highlighted hair goes very orange /yellow on me.

So, I am enjoying what the sun and pregnancy have brought me - a bit lighter than before - and the fact that my baby has the lovely white blonde fuzz I had when I was little.

inty
February 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Another (natural) blonde here. My hair is getting darker with age and after pregnancies, but not much. I have many different blonde shades in my hair and like it. It never occured to me to change color of my hair in any way :)

ktani
February 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I forgot to mention I am naturally a dark blonde. My hair has a bit of red it in and a mix of shades and textures. I use catnip to stain my grey/white hair a light blonde shade.

MandyBeth
February 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I agree with whoever said many dark blondes here have turned to henna. ...

There's also a thread around here somewhere talking about dark blonde/ashy brown haired people not liking their natural hair color.

A henna'ed ash light brown maybe dark blonde here. I had darker hair younger and lightened up. My hair does not go red at all on it's own - but it's by fair a better color on me than my natural color. It just turns murky on me, plus it's a "meh" color that just doesn't do anything positive, I refer to it as light mouse brown.

I just don't look healthy with lighter hair. I'm one of the very pale skinned girls who went to jet black hair with rather dire results, but black for several years and it looked rather natural at first (over pigmented eventually and went flat) and the dark dark blue black was by far my best look.

I'd indigo over the henna for black, but I don't like the green effect if you try to remove it, and for as much as I LOVED the black - out of my goth stage, I think it draws way, way too much attention to my eye color, which is NOT the goal.

Plus the rather icky skunk stripe that shows up with the roots. :rolleyes:

Kris Dove
February 6th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I'm blonde too! :) I like Lush's Marilyn and blonde solid shampoo for gradually lightening my hair. I highlighted it years ago and was wondering whether to try it again but I prefer these as they do work and aren't as damaging. I've just ordered some cassia to try for the first time- if it gives me a nice golden sheen, great, but if it goes brassy I'll try Lush Daddy-O- this worked for brassiness when I dyed it lighter years ago.

Shermie Girl
February 6th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I am a blonde, as well. From birth. :D I had platinum blonde hair as a child and it gradually darkened over the years. I coloured blonde for a long time then went over to the dark side a few times and had a brief but passionate marriage with henna. I am in the process of ridding my head of the last of the destroyed henna removal attempt. Once I reach that goal, I can return to my true "roots". :D