PDA

View Full Version : Changes in hair quality from trimming?

Tangles
February 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Long term microtrimming and S&D'ing is a big technique here, but I'm curious how drastic the results can be for those with moderately damaged (not fried, bleached or flat ironed) ends.

I've been doing this for a couple of months now, and have already seen decent improvement without much loss of length. However, I'm worried that when I'm an inch or two longer than I am now, my ends will once again be velcro-y.

What were your results with microtrimming moderately damaged hair and then trying to grow it longer than it was before you started trimming? How long did it take for you to start noticing damage again?

little_acorn
February 1st, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've had some damage from hair dye from streaks that I have been trimming out gradually as the ends get velcro-y. It generally works out to 1/2inch every couple of months. I did another trim last night and that has got rid of the worst of the damage, though I still have plenty of dyed hair. So I think from this point on I won't have to trim much at all.
HTH :flower:

curlylocks85
February 1st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Long term microtrimming and S&D'ing is a big technique here, but I'm curious how drastic the results can be for those with moderately damaged (not fried, bleached or flat ironed) ends.

I've been doing this for a couple of months now, and have already seen decent improvement without much loss of length. However, I'm worried that when I'm an inch or two longer than I am now, my ends will once again be velcro-y.

What were your results with microtrimming moderately damaged hair and then trying to grow it longer than it was before you started trimming? How long did it take for you to start noticing damage again?

I have damage from long-term straightening and everytime I get a small trim my ends and my length feel that much more healthy.

I still have a long way to go, but I do see significant improvement after my trims.

spidermom
February 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
It might be different now because I had my hair cut back to the length I figured has grown since I joined LHC. I have pretty much maintained an every-three-month trimming schedule, and by the time I'm due for my next trim, I'm beginning to fight with a lot of knotted, damaged ends. I hope I'll be able to settle into maybe an every-four-month trimming schedule now because these ends have only been flat-ironed twice, both times by a professional with heat protective spray. Time will tell.

christine1989
February 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I don't get much damage since I stopped straightening but when my ends feel "velcro-y" it is usually a result of the windy Seattle weather and not split ends. I S&D regularly but I really don't think it makes that much difference.