PDA

View Full Version : Oiling then blowdrying- is it safe??

Kris Dove
February 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
I've heard of many of you using oils as a leave-in, but I'm wondering whether it's "safe" to lightly oil then blowdry your hair, or whether it's any worse than blowdrying alone? (I know it's bad in itself, but I'm not giving up my blowfryer until the weather gets warmer!:o)

I was wondering because oiling your skin then sunbathing accelerates tanning/sunburn so would the same apply to hair and would oil make it fry faster?

Yet I've seen leave-ins for sale that contain oil yet claim to protect hair from heat styling?:confused:

Thanks in advance if anyone can explain!

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 03:28 PM
A hot oil treatment is often advised, and my reasoning is that applying oil and then using the dryer on the warm setting would be a good way to combine heat and oil. I do it. You might not want to go by what I believe, however. I can find plenty of split ends in my hair any day of the week. I don't blame it on warm blow-drying, though, as I do it very carefully. I think my splits come from detangling knots and things like that.

treesandcoffee
February 1st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know from personal experience, but cooking wise I know oil + heat = deep fry, so I don't know how protecting it can be to something as delicate as hair.

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Definitely don't turn the blow-dryer up to the "fry" setting!

marikamt
February 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
I do it... my method is like spidermom's, I do a light oil, then a light blow dry on warm (I oil after I have let my hair air dry about 50%), I don't blowdry to 100%, maybe 90% dry
My thought goes w/ the "hot oil treatment" too.......

ericthegreat
February 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
If you set your blowdryer on a cool setting, then no it shouldn't harm your hair even if it is oiled. However, normally when someone does an oiling they use it as a pre-wash treatment. Yes, you can of course use an oil as a natural leave-in. But I definitely wouldn't use it in preparation for doing any kind of heat styling, because you are correct in that it can actually cause your hair to fry which is exactly what you don't want!

And when stylists talk about heat protectant products, they specifically mean silicone products, not oils. Silicones don't in actuality protect your hair from punishing heat, I mean you definitely wouldn't spray silicone on your hand and then clamp a flat iron on it would you?! But, silicones do help give your hair more slip and allow for say a flat iron or a round brush to glide thro your hair much more easily, it smooths down your hair cuticles so it creates a shinier, mirror like surface on your hair.

Little_Bird
February 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
I oil with olive oil and blowdry my roots afterwards. I have been doing this for about 2 months I think and I haven't found it to be damaging.

I think Spidermom has a point also... combining warm setting with the oil might even help it being absorbed by the hair, specially if you do cold (really) cold water rinses after conditioner, like I do (brrrr)...

Good lucky figuring out if your hair likes it! That is the special part :flower:

CandyFluff
February 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
This is something I've been wondering about as well. I always blow dry first, then put on a couple of drop of jojoba oil as a leave in. I figure the heat retained in the hair afterwards will help the oil absorb, but without the dangers of frying it.

mellie89
February 1st, 2010, 09:34 PM
I have to try this. I blow dried on medium heat today and my hair came out a frizzy mess. I think it was because I didn't use cones. :shrug: Maybe a light oiling could help tame it.

I always blow dried my hair growing up, and giving it up over 2 years didn't do much for my hair, so I'm going back to it.

young&reckless
February 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
I use oil as a leave in and have had no problems with lightly blow drying. I use a light oil, almond oil so maybe with heavy oils it may not be advised.