PDA

View Full Version : at what length could you.....?

redneckprincess
February 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM
I was looking through Youtube and watching how some hairstyles are done...they all look so difficult but once seen, they are actually quite simple...
but I wondered at what length do most of you succeed at the following hair styles...(I am about APL with layering as of right now..)

*cinnimon bun...Im thinking Im really not too far from that one
*figure 8....I love it, and always wondered how it was done it looks sooo simple, This is the one Im hoping to be able to do soon
*Florenonite's split bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=159)....I should try this maybe I can do it, I will have to see
* log rolls, french twists, and lots of other stick styles and buns

TIA

rags
February 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Everyone is going to vary so much on these. This is the one advantage of being a i thickness. I could do cinnabuns at shoulder (or above) french twist waaay above shoulder, lazy wrap and split bun - somewhere between SL and APL.
I could do an orchid bun about APL.
I could do a rose bun now, but my hair is so thin it looks ridiculous. Same with a chinese bun.
I can't do a figure eight yet., or a log roll.

curlylocks85
February 1st, 2010, 02:06 PM
*cinnimon bun...Im thinking Im really not too far from that one
*figure 8....I love it, and always wondered how it was done it looks sooo simple, This is the one Im hoping to be able to do soon
*Florenonite's split bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=159)....I should try this maybe I can do it, I will have to see
* log rolls, french twists, and lots of other stick styles and buns

TIA

Well, I can do a French twist and I am about CBL right now. I can also do a sock bun. I cannot really do the others you mentioned because my hair is just not long enough. 6-12 inches longer and I should be good. :pray:

MandyBeth
February 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
French twist or peacock - If I start with damp hair, I can get my not quite chin length to mostly go up. Thus, peacock looks better because it winds up messy.

Cinnabun - almost...... Getting close, easily done on a half up.

Split bun - Half up with two fingered loop - yes. Anything else - not even close.

I can gather my hair into two tails, put each into two rope twists, then wrap those up into a sort of figure 8.

Sock bun makes no sense to me, what so ever.

Starr
February 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
The thickness of your hair will determine the length you need to do each style properly. For me, being that I have extremely thick hair, I coudn't do a figure 8 properly until just past waist (could kind of do it a few inches before but it didn't look right), but others can accomplish the same style a lot sooner. It's all about trial and error, what works for you now may not work 3" from now and what will work for you in 3" could possibly never have worked for you now.

While it's fun to look forward to the things you will be able to do, take the time to experiment and try to enjoy the styles that you can do now, because before you know it your hair will have grown and you'll never be able to do those styles again (at least not without serious modification or a haircut:scared:).

Maybe someone with a similiar hairtype can chime in and give a better timeline since I'm no help.;)

redneckprincess
February 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Everyone is going to vary so much on these. This is the one advantage of being a i thickness. I could do cinnabuns at shoulder (or above) french twist waaay above shoulder, lazy wrap and split bun - somewhere between SL and APL.
I could do an orchid bun about APL.
I could do a rose bun now, but my hair is so thin it looks ridiculous. Same with a chinese bun.
I can't do a figure eight yet., or a log roll.

I never heard of a orchid bun or a rose bun...now I have heard ofa chineese bun, and I cant wait to do one..I bet im pretty close...dont know how pretty it will be but Im going to try one soon :)
BUT I think if you can do a decent cinnimon bun you can do a figure 8...(i tried to find the video i seen on youtube but cant...I'll update if I find it)

Well, I can do a French twist and I am about CBL right now. I can also do a sock bun. I cannot really do the others you mentioned because my hair is just not long enough. 6-12 inches longer and I should be good. :pray:
sock buns have been a favorite of mine since about CBL...though Im sure if id had looked into it earler I could have done one shorter

Wind
February 1st, 2010, 02:30 PM
I can do a cinna-bun now, at APL, and have been able to for a little while, but it's not my preferred bun, so I don't. I could French twist and french braid between chin and shoulder length, but I would need to be much nearer to waist for a figure 8. My cinna-bun is made of one full twist of hair. To do a figure 8, you have to have two full twists, and a little extra to keep the ends tucked in. I haven't heard of the split bun, but chinese can be done between shoulder and waist on me, I'm guessing. I didn't join LHC or try updos until I was at waist several years ago.

Carolyn
February 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
I didn't do too many buns until I was at mid back. At your length you should be able to do french twists, peacock twist, messy buns and sock buns with ease.

redneckprincess
February 1st, 2010, 05:18 PM
I didn't do too many buns until I was at mid back. At your length you should be able to do french twists, peacock twist, messy buns and sock buns with ease.
yeah I tried some figure 8, split bun, cinnimon, chineese buns on myself (and DD) ha!! Im far from any of them..
I do not know what a peacock or french twist is (...I learn best from videos, or pictures)
and I really like the sock bun, but hate what it does to my hair when I take it out

Messyhair
February 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hmm... I never really noticed at what length I could do these things. Some I just never mastered, but that's me and not my hair that was the problem. :P I tend to not try styles for a loooong time. Then it's successful when I try it - haha!

curlylocks85
February 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
Sock bun makes no sense to me, what so ever.

Why do they not make sense to you?

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
I never actually did any of these things (or realized they had names, lol) until after I was already to tailbone length. Darn my pre-LHC hair life. :(

countryhopper
February 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I can do a small cinnnamon bun (cinna-mini!). I like them best when they have lots of rolls in them (the same as I like edible cinnamon rolls- the more rolls in them, the better!!)

I also can do a peacock twist (pretty much my every day 'do), french braid, herringbone braid, dutch braid, etc.

What's a sock braid?

Keildra
February 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I could do a sock bun at chin length, which is weird because I couldn't do a pony tail until about mid way between chin and shoulder.
I could do an English at shoulder
I could do french, hawser, cable and all other braids at BSL although I think that is more from lack of trying than lack of hair.

Leneveu
February 8th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have a 3.5" circumference (as tightly compressed as possible), and I'm short - waist is about 28" on me.

Cinnamon bun: about BSL (held with hairscroos). Probably shorter when held with an elastic.

Figure 8: a couple of inches past waist. The last twist always escaped before this length.

Florenonite's split bun: I haven't tried this. Thanks for the link ;)

Log rolls: a couple of inches past waist

French twists: I missed out on this one :( I always thought it needed very long hair, but by the time I tried it, it was so bulky that it looked ridiculous. I do like Hypnotica's version, and I could do that from about MBL.

Other styles:

Lazy wrap: BSL. My first real updo :heartbeat

Lazy figure 8: waist

:ponder: I'm sure I know more styles. I'll edit this post when I think of them :)

At 31.5", I still need more length for:

Nautilus
Artemis
Celtic knot
Orchid

Bellona
February 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I was wondering the same thing about all of these updos. My hair is so thick that I can hardly get it into a peacock twist at APL. I have layers that prevent buns or braids from looking nice or staying up as well. Guess I'll just have to wait!