PDA

View Full Version : Hair advice please.

The_Blode
February 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and I was wondering if anybody could help me with my hair. I've been growing it for about 2 years and I would like to achieve a look similar to this man, James Root of the metal band Slipknot:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/27928585/Jim+Root+Jim.jpg

My hair is of a similar texture to his but mine lacks the volume that his has.

Any advice would be welcomed with regards to what products/methods you think he uses to get this style. I'm literally at breaking point with my hair...I never realised it before but bad hair can make you feel down...or maybe that's just me.

Peace, love and light,

The_Blode.

Fiferstone
February 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC, but before anyone can advise you we'll need to know a bit more about what you are currently doing to take care of your hair: how often do you wash, do you use shampoo and conditioner, or one or the other only? What do you currently do to style it? What texture would you say it is? Since you posted a shot of your ideal hair can you post one showing your hair (masking out facial features is ok, by the way). The more info you can provide, the better we can advise you, and also start reading the discussion threadsand the articles. Good luck and happy growing.

HildeMV
February 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM
The color is easy to achieve, and the texture is almost the texture I get when i plop my hair.

Svenja
February 1st, 2010, 01:15 PM
Lol, that's my hair completely except for the colour.
Many layers, a natural wave and voila...

You need many layers for this style, and then tuck them in a cinnamon bun on the top of your head over night when they're still little wet. That's how I get this style.

The_Blode
February 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC, but before anyone can advise you we'll need to know a bit more about what you bare currently doing to take care of your hair: how often do you wash, do you use shampoo and conditioner, or one or the other only? What do you currently do to style it? What texture would you say it is? Since you posted a shot of your ideal hair can you post one showing your hair (masking out facial features is ok, by the way). The more info you can provide, the better we can advise you, and also start reading the discussion threadsand the articles. Good luck and happy growing.

I wash my hair everyday.
I use a variety of different Shampoos and Conditioners.
I do little really to style it...
I'd say my hair is curly (possibly wavy?)
A little extra info: My hair is quite long, reaches down to the end of my neck.

Here is an image of my hair (I had to blur myself out, my face isn't nice, nor is my hair :( ).

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/4c5c30e95d.jpg

I appreciate the help!

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM
I think the easiest way to get that volume and piecey look is to hang your head toward the floor while you work some sort of styling wax or putty through your hair (a little goes a long way) and use a warm blowdryer at the roots, but not all the way to being dry. Then flip back upright and use fingers to arrange hair. But don't comb through it or it will go flat again.

The_Blode
February 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Lol, that's my hair completely except for the colour.
Many layers, a natural wave and voila...

You need many layers for this style, and then tuck them in a cinnamon bun on the top of your head over night when they're still little wet. That's how I get this style.

What's a cinnamon bun?

I think the easiest way to get that volume and piecey look is to hang your head toward the floor while you work some sort of styling wax or putty through your hair (a little goes a long way) and use a warm blowdryer at the roots, but not all the way to being dry. Then flip back upright and use fingers to arrange hair. But don't comb through it or it will go flat again.

Styling wax...I found something in my bedroom:

http://www.shortlist.com/uploads/assets/Go-Matt-Clay.jpg

Any chance I could achieve it with this?

Many thanks to you ladies for responding to my thread. I really appreciate it. :)

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes - that might work well. Try it and see. Do you already have the layered cut?

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Oh, and if your styling clay is too tacky or stiff to work with, try rubbing it between your palms with a drop or two of water added.

Kaijah
February 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Try doing your final rinse out of conditioner in the shower upside down (plug your nose!), and then if you apply any gel/cream/oil/whatever, scrunch that into your hair upside down as well. This generally helps me get a looooot of root volume, though I tend to get more canopy frizz when I do this.

If you don't want to blowdry, you can also clip your roots up with those silver duck bill clips to keep them from falling flat.

Jessicurl has really good demo videos (http://jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html)showing plopping/plunking and scrunching (look at the "apply Rockin' Ringlets" video). There was another girl that had really good technique videos, but I can't remember the link for the life of me...

The_Blode
February 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think I have a layered cut...I've been growing my hair for about 2 and a half years (From very short...to long). I hate the hairdressers, they never cut my hair how I like it. Anyways, I have used this stuff before, it's tough to apply and I don't know the correct technique). Also, it dries fairly quickly :( How do I prep my hair (Shampoo + Conditioner-wise). Thanks :)

Svenja
February 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Here's the cinnamon bun for you: Cinnamon Bun (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/bun_instructions.html)

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Since you say you've been growing out from a short cut, I am sure that you have layers. Try styling damp hair, but it doesn't have to be completely clean. Often it's easiest to style hair the 2nd or 3rd day after washing. Spread some of the styling wax between your palms and fingers, adding a drop or 2 of water if the wax is too dry and tacky, or a tiny drop of oil if the water doesn't work well, then run hands/fingers through your hair while your hair is hanging toward the floor. When you flip your hair back upright, you should have some volume. Just use your fingers to push any wonky strands in the direction you want, but mostly leave it alone after that because over time the hair will gradually lay closer and closer to your scalp. Basically, you want to start out with more volume than you want because after awhile you will have just the right amount or even less than you want, depending on how well the styling product holds. When I had short hair like that, I found that hitting the roots with a blow-dryer while my hair was hanging toward the floor helped me to hang on to more volume.

The_Blode
February 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM
Try doing your final rinse out of conditioner in the shower upside down (plug your nose!), and then if you apply any gel/cream/oil/whatever, scrunch that into your hair upside down as well. This generally helps me get a looooot of root volume, though I tend to get more canopy frizz when I do this.

If you don't want to blowdry, you can also clip your roots up with those silver duck bill clips to keep them from falling flat.

Jessicurl has really good demo videos (http://jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html)showing plopping/plunking and scrunching (look at the "apply Rockin' Ringlets" video). There was another girl that had really good technique videos, but I can't remember the link for the life of me...

I'm going to check these out! :) Thank you!

Here's the cinnamon bun for you: Cinnamon Bun (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/bun_instructions.html)
Great page...but I don't have those hair pins (?) :(

Since you say you've been growing out from a short cut, I am sure that you have layers. Try styling damp hair, but it doesn't have to be completely clean. Often it's easiest to style hair the 2nd or 3rd day after washing. Spread some of the styling wax between your palms and fingers, adding a drop or 2 of water if the wax is too dry and tacky, or a tiny drop of oil if the water doesn't work well, then run hands/fingers through your hair while your hair is hanging toward the floor. When you flip your hair back upright, you should have some volume. Just use your fingers to push any wonky strands in the direction you want, but mostly leave it alone after that because over time the hair will gradually lay closer and closer to your scalp. Basically, you want to start out with more volume than you want because after awhile you will have just the right amount or even less than you want, depending on how well the styling product holds. When I had short hair like that, I found that hitting the roots with a blow-dryer while my hair was hanging toward the floor helped me to hang on to more volume.

I find that if I wash my hair in the morning, go to sleep later in the night, I wake up and my hair looks greasy/shiny hence why I have to wash it to make sure it's not like that.

You'll have to forgive me as I don't know any of the lingo. I've been battling my hair for quite some time and It's getting me down a little. I've got plenty of products...but I have no idea which is better for my hair. I've read on this forum that shampooing too much is damaging...but my Tresemme Shampoo says it's light enough for daily use...well, I could be damaging it...I tried CO before...and I never got past the 2 week stage before being completely annoyed with the fact my hair looked greasy and was very flat. Any extra help is appreciated and I appreciate all your comments. Got to be one of the most friendliest forums I've encountered in a while.

Svenja
February 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Great page...but I don't have those hair pins (?) :(

Not necessary. You can use bobby pins as well, or you just warp a scrunchy around it :)

spidermom
February 1st, 2010, 01:54 PM
O.k., go ahead and style it after you wash it in the morning, then. I don't think it damages your hair to use regular grocery store or drug store shampoo and conditioner, although if you want to grow your hair out very long, you will have to start protecting the bottom part of your length with extra conditioner or oil. The picture that you show doesn't have very long hair, so if that is what you want, you will need to get it trimmed or trim it yourself on a regular basis and wouldn't have to worry about damage from daily washing.

Fiferstone
February 1st, 2010, 05:40 PM
If you look at his pic again, you'll see it's layered, especially around the face. I too would go with drying my hair upside down to achieve the volume after working some mousse into it. Hope that helps.

Sabayon
February 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't think I have a layered cut...I've been growing my hair for about 2 and a half years (From very short...to long). I hate the hairdressers, they never cut my hair how I like it. Anyways, I have used this stuff before, it's tough to apply and I don't know the correct technique). Also, it dries fairly quickly :( How do I prep my hair (Shampoo + Conditioner-wise). Thanks :)

From looking at the goal pic, I think the absolute key to that look is the cut. He has a ton of thinning layers and that is mainly what gives it that piecey look. You might be able to give yourself this cut with some thinning shears, but really I think you need to put in the time to find a good stylist. Ask around, and don't be afraid to ask someone you see on the street who has really great hair. The key to getting a decent professional cut is communication. Check out this thread on how to talk to a stylist for more tips. (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66699)
Once you have the right cut, getting this look should be super easy using the above tips.:)