PDA

View Full Version : 6 months on LHC! [progress thread, pics]

freckles
February 1st, 2010, 04:29 AM
Hi everyone! It's been 6 months since I joined LHC and I just love it here. Everyone is so supportive and great :) My hair obsession has really grown, and I have to say, I don't mind at all! :D I thought I'd share a progress thread about what I've done and how my hair has been in my growing adventure ...

First off, the best (pre-LHC) picture of my hair I could find from the last 'style' I got it cut into before growing it. I got a shortish bob, and I estimate this picture is circa 2007. I maintained this on-and-off.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3597&pictureid=62357
After a while, I didn't really decide to 'grow' my hair so much as I ... just didn't get round to cutting it. That's the stage I was at around 6 months ago. It hadn't been cut at all in about 2 years at that point, though I wasn't caring for it either, so I decided to grow, set tailbone as my goal, and joined LHC. I was already long since (about 4 years) dye free and didn't heat style much, and my hair had grown to 26". It was full of splits though (I didn't S&D, rarely conditioned, and rarely wore my hair up). This is a photo just after joining LHC. Excuse the angle, I was far too shy to get anyone to take length shots for me. :o
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3597&pictureid=46234
I started S&D-ing, CWCing, and tried to limit my blowdrying. I have pretty much cut down on washing from 3-4 times a week to a solid twice a week. I also wear my hair up more often now, although I'm by no means perfect. I have tried cone-free, and I like it a lot, though I'm now switching back and forth between coney and cone-free products to decide for sure which is right for me. I gave up my horrible tear-a-brush-through-it habits and now use a wooden comb occasionally, finger combing often, but mostly my Tangle Teezer, which I absoloutely ADORE. All of these things are slowly but surely improving the condition of my hair, and I have LHC to thank!

In September I got my first trim for over two years. I had grown to 27" by then but the trim put me back to 25", with a tiny bit of layering on the bottom, and face-framey bits. I was sad to lose the length, but I LOVED losing the splits, and the new shape of my hair. Here is the picture just after my trim:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3931&pictureid=50509

My hands are on waist in that picture. By this time, I'd become assertive enough to ask my little sister to take a shot!

My boyfriend took a length picture yesterday so I could post my six-month post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4804&pictureid=62356
As you can see, I've made it past BSL! :cheese: I'm pretty much halfway between BSL and waist (pink ribbon is at waist). DBF measured my hair at 27.25, and the distance to waist at 2.5 inches. So even with some trims I should definitely make it to waist this year! After that, I'm still planning on heading on to tailbone. (Also, don't be deceived by the braid/bun waves, I had my hair in a braided bun all day, I am definitely a straighty).

I am still struggling with split ends. My hair is VERY split prone. But, even though in total I have only gained 1.25 inches since I've been here, I have never been happier with my hair. I know how to wear it in lots of different styles, it feels better now that I know how to look after it, and I am just generally SO positive about my long hair. All thanks to LHC. THANK YOU! :blossom:

Dani
February 1st, 2010, 04:40 AM
That is some awesome progress! Your hair looks great! :D

Pumpkin
February 1st, 2010, 04:57 AM
Beautiful hair, just beautiful. Keep up the good work!! :)

Harriet
February 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM
Great post. Your hair looks beautiful.

Phalaenopsis
February 1st, 2010, 05:13 AM
Are you sure that you're a 1b? You look like a 1a to me :)
Either way, great hair and a lot of growth!

And being splitprone is very typical for fine textured hair. I hate it too!

Queen Olympias
February 1st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Congrats, great progress! Keep it up! And I also struggle with split ends so I hear you there :)

freckles
February 1st, 2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments :D I am really enjoying loving my hair right now!

Are you sure that you're a 1b? You look like a 1a to me :)
Nope, I'm not at all sure haha. The really straight picture is blowdried at the salon though, so it's difficult to tell. I tend to brush/comb my hair while airdrying, too, so I haven't done a 'true' hairtyping session. I'm quite possibly a 1a :)

FrannyG
February 1st, 2010, 05:25 AM
That's a really wonderful update post. Your hair is beautiful, and you've made a lot of progress since that last trim in September. Congratulations on the improved health of your hair and your wonderful growth. :blossom:

Arctic
February 1st, 2010, 05:47 AM
Your hair looks wonderful! You'll be at waist in no time!

Pixna
February 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
What outstanding progress you have made!!! :flower:

JenniferNoel
February 1st, 2010, 07:49 AM
Amazing progress! I'm glad to hear you're so happy with your hair. The color and shine is outstanding. Keep on growing! :blossom:

DarkChocolate
February 1st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Awesome progress:) I know firsthand that a trim makes a world of difference:) Your ends are nice and blunt too:)

GoddesJourney
February 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM
Splits or no, it really looks great. Your F hair doesn't really show the damage. I'm so glad you're happy with your hair. The more you love your hair, the more you enjoy caring for it and vice versa. Happy growing!

lapushka
February 1st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Awesome. Great progress! :thumbsup:

little_acorn
February 1st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats - you are well on your way and I think your hair is beautiful :D

clairenewcastle
February 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Good to see how well your hair journey is progressing! :cheer:
The photos show that you've lovely hair, so congratulations and keep on having fun with it. :D

yellowchariot
February 1st, 2010, 04:51 PM
I agree with everyone! you've got some awesome'ness going on! :) The progression of your hair is really excellent! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Peter
February 1st, 2010, 04:55 PM
It looks great!

pepperminttea
February 1st, 2010, 06:16 PM
Looks beautiful, and it's grown so much! Congratulations! :)

melrose1985
February 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM
looks fantastic!!!!

freckles
February 2nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
thanks everyone for the compliments :) I'm glad you still looks good, that was like 3-days-post-wash and I'm not as happy with it then! Haha. Generally, though, I'm loving my hair right now. If I could stop the insane splitting it would be perfect!

I'm looking forward to seeing a similar growth over the NEXT six months. Here's to hoping. :)

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Very nice progress! Your hair is gorgeous, and it really looks like you've learned a lot in 6 months' time. :flower: Congrats!

Medievalmaniac
February 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
what is particularly stunning is the definition and the texture, which you can see has improved soooo much in the past few months. Congratulations!!!

xoxophelia
February 2nd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Wow! That is awsome how much of a difference a short 6 months can make on your length (*crosses fingers*).

Our hair is about the same length :).. What is your goal length?

Perhaps we will meet our goals at the same time :D

Edit: silly me you say tb. Mine is pretty much to my belt buckle but first to about waist and holding there to even out my layers.

freckles
February 15th, 2010, 01:00 AM
thank you everyone for the nice responses :)

ArienEllariel
February 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
glad to hear that your hair is doing so well. your hair is looking happy and healthy. :)

and I can sympathize on the whole fine, split-prone hair thing. I gots it too. :/

merryhair
February 15th, 2010, 02:33 AM
That's a lot of progress! You have amazing hair:) Happy Growing!!:cheer: Congratulations!!

Beaglebuddy
February 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Your hair has grown amazingly. It is beautiful and healthy looking.