PDA

View Full Version : When could you do your first rope braid?

lapushka
January 31st, 2010, 08:20 AM
When could you do your first rope braid? How long was your hair, and was it layered or not? If layered, was it heavily layered or slightly layered?

A rope braid on me looks awful right now. Even the parts of my hair that aren't layered at all, when rope braided, well... they have bits of hair sticking out all over like mad needles (think Hellraiser).

Is there a technique to it like oiling it beforehand, making it a little damp?

Anywhere
January 31st, 2010, 08:23 AM
I've never been able to do a nice rope braid. my layers give it extreme taper and it looks like its a frayed rope. I twist the two(I can only do a two-strand) strands in small sections as I go down, otherwise they just unwind before I can get down to the bottom.

ETA: I'm sure if your hair was oiled/damp it would hold the twists better with less random pieces sticking out.

pepperminttea
January 31st, 2010, 10:21 AM
My tail's quite long (old layers), and it looks atrocious, but I could do it last week (sort of?). I'm very much still learning though.

Liss
January 31st, 2010, 10:32 AM
I only discovered rope braids recently (here on the LHC) and they are one of my new favourites. I tried it myself about 2 weeks ago and think I had pretty good success. My hair is BSL and all one length, I thought it might be hard as I have soft-fine hair that slips out of everything, but I didn't have any problems at all. Although I discovered I don't have enough length or volume to make a good rope braid bun from it.
If the pic isn't showing, the link is here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4606&pictureid=60362
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4606&pictureid=60362

Gumball
January 31st, 2010, 10:33 AM
My hair was at least APL, but that's because I wasn't quite aware of rope braids then. Once I learned about them and figured out how they were done then I could do them. My hair only had minor layers at that point.

CaityBear
January 31st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hmm, I was maybe between BSL and waist? I still have some layers the last maybe 4 or 5 inches of my hair so when my rope braids gets down to there it looks kind of messy. I've done it with wet hair and it still looks a bit messy when it dries.

For you, maybe oil or just being wet would help. Might just have to try it. Or maybe using some flax seed gel or aloe vera gel?

FrannyG
January 31st, 2010, 10:51 AM
I can do rope braids at APL or even less, because my hair is so fine. Sometimes I mist my hair with a bit of distilled water before doing a rope braid. That helps with the flyaways quite a bit.

You can also try doing a rope braid half-up. Those are very pretty too.

jojo
January 31st, 2010, 11:12 AM
I did my first rope braid at APL, love this braid so simple and quick to do yet pretty.

lapushka
January 31st, 2010, 11:32 AM
I tried it myself about 2 weeks ago and think I had pretty good success. My hair is BSL and all one length, I thought it might be hard as I have soft-fine hair that slips out of everything, but I didn't have any problems at all.

Beautiful rope braid! Wish mine would behave like that. :)

Bunnyhare
January 31st, 2010, 12:00 PM
my layers alos make it look terrible, more like jute twine! i just love the look of ropebraids, and i usually do them in the top layer or bottom layer only to avoid the layers poking out everywhere..like a half up bun, then rope braid the lower half and pin it around the bun or leave the rope down with a decoration, pin or something pretty under the bun between the bun and braid. Your hair is so beautiful Lapushka!

Fractalsofhair
January 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
If I take a chunk of my hair, I can do it at chin length. I'd suggest maybe trying to do two or three of them if your hair is shorter.

Peter
January 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
I was at around APL, although I have thick hair so some people could probably do it earlier. It was wonky for a while but I've gotten better at it.

Before I could put all my hair into one rope, I would do two (one on each side). Those helped a lot with learning how to do it since I could bring it in front my shoulder and see what I was doing.

Hope this helps!

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I still can't do a rope braid. But that has everything to do with technique and fumbly hands, and nothing to do with my length. :p

Sabayon
February 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
I can do a rope bun at collarbone, but it looks a bit silly/stubby as a braid. I think that about all braids at this length though. I don't think rope braids need longer hair than regular ones. I found at my length it works best to twist each strand as I twist them together rather than doing separately (like here: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/3/ImcPuruQMAw) and I think a little bit of oil always makes hair easier to style, especially for thick hair.

Queen Olympias
February 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
I did my first rope braid two days ago! My hair is creeping past APL (very slowly though!) but I think I would still be able to do a rope braid with somewhat shorter hair. Shoulder length should work, I think. I do not have layers, but I imagine they would fray out a little from the twisting involved.

ps I love rope braids now!

Ramona_Fosca
February 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Maybe you could try a french rope braid? I started doing them at about shoulder length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3716&pictureid=47705

Yozhik
February 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
Beautiful French rope braid! I didn't even realize that was possible! :o Now I'll have to look it up.

I've been able to do rope pigtails from shoulder length, but they do look pretty short still -- it seems to eat more hair up than English braids. My hair is practically blunt cut, though (with a little tapering to frame my face). I tried to make Princess Leia rose buns out of the rope braids, and they looked kind of cool, but still so small :(

Good luck with your roping endeavors :flower: