PDA

View Full Version : Please help me decide about dye

2luvmycurls
January 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Well, I've done remarkably well about not cutting my hair (a def. record for me - it's been about 2 and a half years since I've cut my hair -minus making myself song long side bangs). I've used henna since July 2008 (did 2 full applications, and 2 or 3 roots only). The reason I did the henna in the first place was to get rid of my seborrheic dermatitis, which it remarkably did wonders! However, it's coming back with a vengance and the henna doesn't seem to be helping anymore. But I have found by using vinegar, oil, and african black soap, I think I can keep it fairly well managed.

SO...my dilemna. I do like the red that henna gave me, but because of previous blond hilights before henna, the bottom portion of my hair is a bit lighter (which I like) and then the middle portion is the darkest because of the repeated applications of henna. My natural haircolor *or at least what I think, lol* is a realy ashy brown color. My skin tone is fair and the tone is on the neutral side, but I just feel that the darkness, along with the fact that my hair is thick and curly, is a bit overwhelming. I would really like to have some lightness back in my hair.

But how should I go about this? I saw some "natural" hair coloring, Naturtint, on vitacost.com...but you can't use a lighter color than your henna is over top of henna, right? I would have to use a bleach-type product to lift some of the henna? This will sound stupid, but does hydrogen peroxide do anything? I remember when I was in elementary school I had just gotten earings, it got infected, and so I would soak my earlobe in a shallow bowl of hydrogen peroxide for a while, and then discovered I had a patch of light blond hair by my ear, haha.

Lately, I've been pretty blasse about my hair - I really don't care when/if I get it cut...but I really want to brighten up my color a bit...even highlights would be fine with me.

Anyone have annny ideas for me?

Dreams_in_Pink
January 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
i'm no expert in this thing, but i can guarantee that nothing will lift henna, including peroxide. It will only lift the natural pigments you have naturally.

Fractalsofhair
January 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Naturatint was the brand that I used that destroyed my hair. It's very harsh, IME. Also, nothing will lift henna. Have you considered highlights?

klcqtee
January 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I also have seborrheic dermatitis (or at least I think so...) and I've found sugar scrubs help a lot. I wet my hair, and start my CO, but don't rinse. I take a handful of sugar, and rub it into my scalp, and massage until it dissolves (since my hair is wet). This helps keep me from over scrubbing, and get rid of my scalp issues. I can now happily stretch my wash a week without having horrible flakey itchy problems, unlike before (only 2 days max!).

As for the dye: check out Nightshade's articles, or journal (I don't recall which). She was able to lighten her hennaed hair from a burgundy to a nice copper colour using Sun-In. You may also want to start mixing your henna with Cassia, to keep the colour lighter.

2luvmycurls
January 30th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Yes, I'd love to get highlight, but how? I'm under the impression that you can't get henna'd hair lighter? I really would love some tye of highlight!

Roseate
January 30th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Here is a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317&) to Nightshade's thread about how she lightened her hennaed hair with sun-in. She did her whole length, but I don't see why you couldn't do it as highlights. Good luck! Strand test! :)

Shermie Girl
January 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Well, I've done remarkably well about not cutting my hair (a def. record for me - it's been about 2 and a half years since I've cut my hair -minus making myself song long side bangs). I've used henna since July 2008 (did 2 full applications, and 2 or 3 roots only). The reason I did the henna in the first place was to get rid of my seborrheic dermatitis, which it remarkably did wonders! However, it's coming back with a vengance and the henna doesn't seem to be helping anymore. But I have found by using vinegar, oil, and african black soap, I think I can keep it fairly well managed.

SO...my dilemna. I do like the red that henna gave me, but because of previous blond hilights before henna, the bottom portion of my hair is a bit lighter (which I like) and then the middle portion is the darkest because of the repeated applications of henna. My natural haircolor *or at least what I think, lol* is a realy ashy brown color. My skin tone is fair and the tone is on the neutral side, but I just feel that the darkness, along with the fact that my hair is thick and curly, is a bit overwhelming. I would really like to have some lightness back in my hair.

But how should I go about this? I saw some "natural" hair coloring, Naturtint, on vitacost.com...but you can't use a lighter color than your henna is over top of henna, right? I would have to use a bleach-type product to lift some of the henna? This will sound stupid, but does hydrogen peroxide do anything? I remember when I was in elementary school I had just gotten earings, it got infected, and so I would soak my earlobe in a shallow bowl of hydrogen peroxide for a while, and then discovered I had a patch of light blond hair by my ear, haha.

Lately, I've been pretty blasse about my hair - I really don't care when/if I get it cut...but I really want to brighten up my color a bit...even highlights would be fine with me.

Anyone have annny ideas for me?

I am answering this post without reading the rest of the thread.

Henna... It is a strange animal, for sure. And, while it is fantabulous stuff, indeed, it is not easy to lighten and it is nearly impossible to get rid of.

If you just want to lighten it, you should be able to. I would suggest using peroxide, 20 or 30 volume. Apply it where you want fading (if you are lightening streaks, you can use foils to restrict the peroxide to the streaks. Also, use the thickened or creme peroxide, much easier to place and control) and leave it in for a little while and rinse and condition. Assess fade and hair's condition and repeat until you get the level of lightening you want. Condition well between efforts. And when finished. If you do this right, you should get the hair to a gold/red... Kinda rose gold with a bit more warm/orange cast. Don't under any circumstances attempt to push it any lighter. Trust me on this.

Please, strand test. Strand test before you ever touch peroxide to your hair. Time carefully and keep notes. After each treatment, strand test previously lightened hair before proceeding to another treatment to lighten. And repeat as needed. Strand test any new dye that you are planning to put in your hair over the lightened hair and the hair that remains hennaed. (If you are keeping henna going.) Don't skip this step. You will regret it.

Hair can usually take quite a bit of peroxide, if it is in decent condition under the henna. However! It can only be pushed so far. It can be perfectly fine one treatment to lighten and be utterly destroyed and a sticky, gummy, mess, the next. So, again, I say, strand test! Every time.

If you use care and test as you go and take your time, you should be able to lighten your existing henna and dye over the lightened hair. You won't get blonde and you will have to contend with warm undertones. That is just how it is. But you should be able to get some streaks and have some fun with it.

Sorry for the book. But I would really hate to see anyone else go through (and am still going through) what I have from attempting to remove henna and not taking care enough during the process.

Good luck. Have fun and please, post pictures when you are all done. :D

jojo
January 31st, 2010, 03:47 AM
Yes, I'd love to get highlight, but how? I'm under the impression that you can't get henna'd hair lighter? I really would love some tye of highlight!
I did some heavy henna glosses and although i liked it i prefered it lighter, I have highlights see my profile picture and it worked well for my hair. but dye is harder to take on hennaered hair, my daughter did a henna and no dye would penetrate through the henna.