PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else have hair that can't make up its mind?

Francoise1606
January 30th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I have no idea what hair type I have, because some days it's wavy and some days it's stick straight. It basically ranges from being very straight, what I would say is 1a to being wavy with a few spirals. I don't get it. I have tried with cones without, but I can't get i consistent hairtype. So I have just said my hairtype is 1c/2a i think. Not that it's accurate, but I really don't know what else to say. Anyway does anyone else feel like they can't count on their hair?

Rhiannon7
January 30th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Yep! me too. don't go as far as spirals but waves yes. i mix and match alot of condish and have been thinking the wave or lack there of can be due to the condish i use on a certain wash day. i get frustrated alot, but i guess the basic or standard type i have is 1b-1c. but i do understand you perfectly. there are days my hair is all wavy with a couple of very loose spirals and then other days i have 1a hair, stick straight.

Leneveu
January 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I have no idea what hair type I have, because some days it's wavy and some days it's stick straight. It basically ranges from being very straight, what I would say is 1a to being wavy with a few spirals. I don't get it. I have tried with cones without, but I can't get i consistent hairtype. So I have just said my hairtype is 1c/2a i think. Not that it's accurate, but I really don't know what else to say. Anyway does anyone else feel like they can't count on their hair?

This is my case, too. My hair seems to curl less as it gets longer. Sometimes I have ringlets along the hairline, and the canopy is almost straight :rolleyes:

savi
January 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Heh, yeh. :) But it would seem that the ones with hair types in the cross of 1c/2a have it worst.

Francoise1606
January 30th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!:) I have just been kind of frustrated these last few months because it has gotten a lot more unpredictable. I did notice that with cones it is often straighter and without cones it is often wavy, but not nearly everyday. With the exact same hair routine my hair can look totally different depending on the day.

Carolyn
January 30th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I classiy my hair in the 1c/2a range. The waviness varies with the products used, my wash method and the weather. It's something that just happens. Since I wear it in a bun or braid almost all the time it really doesn't matter. If I'm wearing it down I want it as straight as possible. Some times my hair cooperates and sometimes it doesn't. It's not my hair's fault. It's my perception and expectations of my hair that sometimes makes it fall short of what I think it should be.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 30th, 2010, 06:53 AM
i now know what my hair's doing. It's 2b when newly washed and 1b when it's dirty.

hmmm
January 30th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Yeah mine waves more when it isn't freshly washed with conventional shampoo... I don't really know how straight my hair is either. Some days it's like 1c but then it becomes as wavy as 2b out of nowhere, I'm enjoying it more now that it's longer and it looks decent no matter which way it goes.

rags
January 30th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I think you'll find most of us 1c/2a people are in the same boat. (It's why I picked it as a hairtype after all. There's no slot for "it changes it's mind every two minutes!") My "official" hairtype always comes out as 2a, but the minute I touch a comb to it, or if I use a heavier conditioner, or a butterfly flaps it's wings in Tokyo, it can be anywhere from 1a to 1c. Ugh.

I've just gradually figured out which conditioners produce which result (cones equal 1a hair for me if I let them build up) and when it's not doing what I want, up it goes! (Well, it's usually up anyways, so only very, very rarely does it matter. When it does, I dose it heavily with cones and comb it while wet. 1a!)

Charentais
January 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Story of my life.

Pixna
January 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Yup. My hair changes with the weather (literally!) and time. It is different right after I wash it from the way it is two or three days later -- MUCH different. It's frustrating at times, but I'm getting used to it (after all these years!). Try to look at it as a gift -- you have more types of hair than the average person, so it's never boring! :smirk:

Xandergrammy
January 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Oh yeah! My hair type is very persnickety and depends alot on how much it is combed/handled, if I wore it in a bun, etc. I just take whatever I get on any given day. (I usually wear mine up, so it doesn't really matter)

Francoise1606
January 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Yup. My hair changes with the weather (literally!) and time. It is different right after I wash it from the way it is two or three days later -- MUCH different. It's frustrating at times, but I'm getting used to it (after all these years!). Try to look at it as a gift -- you have more types of hair than the average person, so it's never boring! :smirk:

I completely agree with you! It is really nice to have several different hairtypes, the problem is that it's often wavy when I want it straight and the other way around :wink:
But "they can't all be winners" and "the grass is always greener" and other sayings just like those are probably appropriate for this :)

Bellona
January 30th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Mine is never stick straight but it can be anywhere from 2a-3a depending. If I brush through it when it needs to be washed it can even look 1c sometimes. It is a bit frustrating!

skydancer7
January 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Yes indeed.

One day my hair turned out in lovely s-waves. I tried to re-create the circumstances under which that happened (finger combing only after air-drying, etc) and never could.

I also have mostly straight hair as a bundle. But MOST of the hairs I shed are wavy or loose spirals!!

In addition, most of my hairs are medium thickness. But I often find "wild hairs" that are wiry, coarse, and of varying texture within the ONE hair!

At this point I just say "whatever" and toss it up in a bun :)

kittensoupnrice
January 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I also have this problem. Like the others here, depending on how I wash or style, my hair can go from wavy to quite straight.

It also seems to go the opposite direction of what I want, too!

ArienEllariel
January 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
My hair varies depending on if its freshly washed, if I've combed or brushed it, etc. Usually the less I brush it, the wavier it is but I can never get it to be consistantly wavy or consistantly straight. I just let it be what it will be and if it annoys me too much I toss it in a ponytail or braids.

Sissy
January 30th, 2010, 08:12 PM
my hair can be like this and I think it sometimes has to do with the weather. The diff. types of products and leave-ins can affect it too. It rarely ever dries exactly the same way. There is usually some hint of very slight wave to it. When I first joined LHC it would dry a lot wavier and frizzier even though I used cones and such. I mean on the rare occasion I would let it air dry or it would get wet from rain it would look horrible. Now that I've cared for it and stopped heat damaging it, it seems to be repaying me by drying smoother and more consistently! This is a big relief!

So, my advice would be keep treating it well no matter how tempted you might get to do damaging things to it... and hopefully it will in return pay you back by air drying in a decent manner!

Sissy
January 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM

yes, I think the weather condition that does affect my hair the most is humidity.

JenniferNoel
January 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Count me in.
Mine literally goes from 1b/1c to 2C every week.
It has a lot to do with the climate here at this time of year, which is unpredictable.
Also factoring in is the humidity!

Avalin
January 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Humidity. I live in Colorado and my hair is pretty darn straight. If I traveled to Southern India it would have spirals.
I also lost a lot of hair about a year ago (due to illness) and the new hair that is growing back in is much curlier... it's weird.

Clarisse
January 31st, 2010, 05:10 AM
My hair ranges from 2a to 3a - it can't make up it's mind :P