PDA

View Full Version : My scalp is not happy with SLS free shampoo

SandyStar
January 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I really wanted it to work out because I read a lot of good things about SLS free shampoo, but it didn't work out for me.

My scalp got extremely flaky and my hair got greasy and felt icky really fast.

I then started using Nizoral shampoo and that helped my dandruff a lot, but it got to be really expensive.

I then used some L'Oreal Kids shampoo and I like thcat a lot, but still the flakies where not totally controlled.

I've gone back to Head and Shoulders for now. My hair seems to be OK despite having used it for years.

I want to experiment with some essential oils too. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read about them, but I'm still confused.

SandyStar
January 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Oops, I haven't been around in a while, I forgot there was a products section. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section!

teela1978
January 29th, 2010, 11:54 PM
My scalp prefers sls as well. I have no problems using sulfate shampoos.

LadyVictoria
January 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM
My hair/scalp do great with SLS and SLS-free shampoos alike. For me it's protein that I have to stay far, far away from.

SandyStar
January 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I think SLS isn't all that bad for my particular hair type though. My hair seems resilent. I don't get a lot of splits or anything.

I really like the ultra clean feeling that SLS gives me.

I'm just going to go for as long as I can without shampooing to minimize the damage.

SandyStar
January 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I've been wondering about protein myself. I haven't done a protein/non protein experiment yet. I should do that sometime. I have a feeling my hair might not like protein either.

aahavaa
January 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I have the same problem and what Im doing now is stretching the only bottle I have left of SLS containing Urtekram shampoo. Its the only brand I can use due to severe chemical sensitivity.But once that runs out dont know what to do.My hair and scalp loook way cleaner with the SLS.The other shampoos in the range that are now SLS free just do not leave my hair the same.It looks clean for a day but then it looks lank,dry and not so shiny.
I wish the company had continued to do a form that still contains SLS because I dont think its as bad as many make it out to be.

Kuchen
January 30th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I've had similar issues – I use the SLS-free shampoo, but add a drop of Head and Shoulders to it, and that helps. My hair doesn't get dried out so much, but my scalp is happy.