PDA

View Full Version : I am new, need help

silviya
January 29th, 2010, 12:23 PM
So, i never use flat irons or blow dryers or anything with heat.. Though my hair gets a lot fizzy, and i dont even use shampoo no more i only use conditioner. People who use flat irons their hair looks so nice.. Do any of you ladies use flat irons? is it that damaging to your hair if you use it occasionaly ? and is there any alternative way to have smooth hair no fizzy without the use of flat irons? I am very interested to see what you use and do. :)

SpinDance
January 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I never use any sort of heat drying my hair. I've always had a lot of frizz, little curly bits that don't lay smoothly. This seems to be typical of those of us with '2' hair, not enough straight to be straight, not enough curl to be curly. After finding LHC I now use oils, CWC and protective hair styles. I do not get nearly as much frizz, and the texture of my hair is overall much nicer, smoother and shiny all the way to the ends.

You don't show your hair type, which might help folks give you more targeted advice.

I highly recommend the beginner articles then just start reading. There is so much here, but you will need to do your own testing, since each person is different. I found it hard at first, but I've been slowly documenting what I do and trying one new thing at a time to keep track of what works and what I don't like. It's a fun journey!

manderly
January 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
silviya, first off, welcome :flower:

Secondly, I agree with SpinDance, it's hard to give advice when we know nothing about your hair. That being said, I think maybe you think your hair is straighter than it actually is. You probably have more wave to your hair than you give it credit for, hence the "frizz".

I would recommend you avoid the straight iron for now. Yes, it's quite damaging, but many of us do use one once in a blue moon for fun.

Why don't you look around a bit, read up, and check out the Very Important Threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804) with lots of information for newbies. A hairtyping photo would also do a lot to help us help you (info in link).

silviya
January 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yes Fun but impatient journey.
My hair i dont know, normal, no dry no oily and as i said i dont use no heating at all and i still get split ends.

I also use oils, Argan Oil i bought it on Amazon it should be the original raw not mixed with any silicones, i also use the Portion 9 thing..by sebastian..

I am brunette, and i love it, but expecually during the summer half way down my hair it turns lighter then my roots and i hate it because it looks burned.. its because of the sun i assume. So i started to color my hair using those amonia free color match colors which help me get my hair color back. And right after i use it (natural instinct) the first couple days my hair is lovely silky straight shiny.. DO you ladies know why is that? Any of you using the natural instinct ?

silviya
January 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Actually my hair is weavy yes, like victoria secret wavy, but it also gets frizzy a lot. So every time i do commercial on my hair for how healthy it is and how i dont shampoo it and how i dont use flat irons or blow dryers people dont believe me much because my hair gets fizzy and tangles a lot it seems.
And the one time my hair looks the best and i get compliments on it all the time is the first days after i color it with natural instinct. It gets so sikly, straigth shiny its like i have been flat iron it but i havent..

Fractalsofhair
January 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
If your hair is wavy, then you should probably try adding a teensy bit of gel or shine serum to your hair(try oils like olive oils) to smooth down the frizz. Also, avoid brushing it and only use a wide toothed comb when your hair is wet. Braid it while you sleep and only brush your scalp in the morning if you NEED to.

Also, Natural Instincts is damaging.(Any sort of dye has made my hair break off a few inches from the scalp.) That is why you have split ends. Do you wear your hair up in a bun or braided most of the time? If not, you might want to try that to reduce damage!It is probably due to the coney conditioner you use after that makes it shiny. Try a conditioner like Pantene if you want to get the shine.

Welcome to the boards!

manderly
January 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Great. Thanks for the more info.

So, what conditioner are you using to wash? Do you follow up with a heavier conditioner after? How do you use your argan oil and potion 9? (i.e. wet hair after washing, small amount in dry hair)

Since you have dry hair I would definitely amp up the moisture. Don't be afraid to use leave ins (you can even use your regular conditioner). My hair is a frizzy, floofy mess without leave ins. I use oils (argan, coconut, or jojoba) and seal that with my silicone-based CHI silk infusion (like your potion 9). The oils and silicone tame most of the frizz and bring out the "victoria secret waves" (why would you want to ruin THAT?! and the silicone also seals that moisture in, keeping it from drying out.

How often do you wash your hair?

xoxophelia
January 29th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Actually my hair is weavy yes, like victoria secret wavy, but it also gets frizzy a lot. So every time i do commercial on my hair for how healthy it is and how i dont shampoo it and how i dont use flat irons or blow dryers people dont believe me much because my hair gets fizzy and tangles a lot it seems.
And the one time my hair looks the best and i get compliments on it all the time is the first days after i color it with natural instinct. It gets so sikly, straigth shiny its like i have been flat iron it but i havent..

I used this same brand as well. I think the color weighs down the hair and makes it looks plumper and the conditioner has a whole lot of silicone in it that they give you in the package. But over time my hair would start to look worse then when I started. So I am growing out my roots now.

*Rose Red*
January 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, flat ironed hair looks shiny and nice, but if you use it too often, you produce damage, and it will never look good. I got a flat iron, but I only use it for special items, perhaps once or twice a year. That´s no problem for my hair, but I would never use it regularly.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM
flat iron does damage; how that damage shows differs from hair to hair. in my case it shows as brittle hair, maybe it shows as splits in yours? (if your hair's fine)

Kristin
January 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I use Natural Instincts, too. I like it and have used it for years. It hasn't given me noticeable damage. That is pretty much the ONLY damaging thing I do, though (no heat styling, hair up at night, silk pillow cover, wood comb). It does make your hair extra shiny and smooth (it's TOO smooth for me, makes my hair limp), probably because of the extra silicones in the conditioner.

One of the things that I think helps my hair get really moisturized is a coconut oil treatment. Before a shampoo, I dampen my hair and rub melted coconut oil through the length until its pretty heavily coated. Put on a shower cap and the a towel over that. Let it sit for at least one hour (though have let it sit all day). Then shampoo and condition. Voila! Gorgeously moisturized hair. (At least for me.) Good luck!

jojo
January 31st, 2010, 11:07 AM
Queen of the frizz checking in! yes *holds hands up* I use flat irons every now and then, but never blow dry as it makes my hair look dull, but a little what you fancy is ok as long as you use a protective spray to prevent damage.

Hair is for enjoying....enjoy it!

silviya
February 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Thank You ladies for your replay to me.
I am still not sure about using flat iron occasionally. I know some of you mentioned using protective spray, which one do you use?
For those of you who use the natural instinct, do you use the conditioner once a week? Is the conditioner what makes the hair so shiny? i think it might be something in the actual mix because my hair is amazing only the first week or so after using the natural instinct after that it gets fizzy and not as silky and shiny.. even if u use the weekly conditioner.

As for the coconut oil, i will give it a try again. ;) i use to cook with it all the time. i have read some of you also leave coconut oil as a leave in. Any advice on that?
Thank you ladies for the support :)