PDA

View Full Version : * Snow Water Rinse *

bahannas
January 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM
So, it's been pretty snowy lately for most of you folks. Lots of us are stuck inside even all the way down here in TN! I was wandering around outside yesterday enjoying the frosty landscape, when I thought hey, rain water is soft and great for hair, why not get the same benefits from the snow? :D So I ran inside, grabbed a glass measuring cup, and loaded up on the stuff. I let it sit and melt down for awhile, then jumped in the shower. The steam warmed it up nicely while I did my usual conditioning routine. I then poured it over my head the same way I would an ACV rinse.

I let my hair air dry, and presto! Soft, shiny, and pampered locks! I spent a little time brainstorming and thought of all the yummy things I could mix in next time, like honey or essential oils. This is great for those of you with not-so-soft water, and it was easier for me than buying a filter. Sure, it'll end all too quickly with the soon-to-come warm weather, but I'm enjoying it while supplies last! :blossom:

Fractalsofhair
January 29th, 2010, 12:40 PM
That is a good idea! It's mostly melted here in MA, but I should try that when we have our next snowstorm!

halo_tightens
January 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
That IS a great idea! I've collected rainwater once or twice to rinse with, but there's really no easy way to do that where I'm living. (I don't have a yard, or a balcony, or any sort of oudoor area to set a container up.)

Snow, though... That's easy! It's supposed to snow here tonight, and I'll just go out in the morning with a bowl and collect as much as I want.

So simple!

Airisuu
January 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
This is such a fantastic idea! I look forward to trying it :)

Leneveu
January 29th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I like this idea :) Unfortunately the weather has warmed up here in the last few days, and the snow has turned to icy slush :p

Little_Bird
January 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't have any snow where I live, but this sounds like such a beautyfull and magical idea... I love it :D

redwoman
January 29th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Why didn't I think of that? When we get enough snow I will try it for myself. Good idea.

Aquamarine
January 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Sounds like a lovely idea! I love snow. I should probably get out now and collect some! I'm gonna try it for sure.:)

Peter
January 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm going to guess that it's because of the carbonic acid in rainwater? That would explain why it has a similar effect to an ACV rinse. I don't really know though, since I don't know if the nature of the acid changes its effect on hair.

It sounds like a cool idea though! There's plenty of snow where I live so maybe I'll try it out!

halo_tightens
January 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Why didn't I think of that?

That's exactly what I was thinking... especially considering the fact that I have collected rainwater before and was frustrated with how difficult it is to do here! This should have occurred to me a long time ago! :D

little_cherry
January 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Ooh! What a fantastic idea! Definitely not a shortage here in Quebec!

indigonight
January 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
the snow looks to dirty here to do that with!!! lol

Druid of Alba
January 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
It sounds like a great idea, and I like the poetic significance of it too. It would make a great painting; a person washing their hair with snow.

Jessikinz
January 31st, 2010, 08:16 PM
I never thought of doing that, and we have so much snow where I live. Interesting...I might try it.

anneisanne
January 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM
I was totally going to do this last night, but I got too caught up sledding! Alas.

Paliele
January 31st, 2010, 09:11 PM
This sounds like fun, but I already have soft water so there's not really any point for me.

Carina
January 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Thank you so much for that great idea.This I just have to try for sure.We have lots of snow where I live.YAY !!!!!

Medievalhair
January 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Plenty of snow here, just collected some for tomorrow after my shower.

oroborus
February 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I don't have any snow where I live, but this sounds like such a beautyfull and magical idea... I love it :D
Hey, just noticed you're from Portugal...me too! :p So it doesn't snow where I live either, but it does sound like a magical idea. Maybe I'll try it if I ever go to another country.

JenniferNoel
February 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Ah, that's a brilliant idea!
I found myself caught in a phenomenal downpour earlier today, which I had to truck through without an umbrella, hair in a buff, for about three hours (long story). My hair felt extraordinarily soft when dry.
I may just have to make this regular practice any time it rains!

walterSCAN
February 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I'm trying this tonight! It snowed at least 4" today and I collected some in an undisturbed spot... Tonight is a no-wash night though, so I'm going to just rinse with it and nothing else when I wash the rest of me and see what happens!

freznow
February 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Heh, I do this a bit... unintentionally. *shakes snow off of head after walking the dog*

BlndeInDisguise
February 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Heh, I do this a bit... unintentionally. *shakes snow off of head after walking the dog*

Same here, except from feeding the horses, not walking the dog. :D

Actually, I have tried this before, but I don't remember what the results were. :o I'll have to try it again.

walterSCAN
February 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I'm trying this tonight! It snowed at least 4" today and I collected some in an undisturbed spot... Tonight is a no-wash night though, so I'm going to just rinse with it and nothing else when I wash the rest of me and see what happens!

Ok, I tried it and my hair LOVED it! It's soft, moves freely, shiny, and detangles easier than a WO with tap water... I tried it last night because I have to put it up for work today so it wouldn't matter if my hair hated it, but now I'm upset that I have to wear my hair up! It hasn't looked/felt this nice in a while and I want to wear it down...

This totally bears out my theory that the chlorine used in water treatment is awful for my hair! (Not that it couldn't be something else water treatment puts into the water, but my hair has always reacted badly to chlorine so I've decided it's mostly that.)

::goes out to collect more snow before it becomes contaminated::

morguebabe
February 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM
OOO good idea... looks out of window at current blizzard.

bahannas
February 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hehe forgot I even made this thread. ;) So glad you guys like it! The huge snow finally melted down here and I've been praying for more so my hair can get its fix! :D

-simply Venus-
February 6th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Gah, it doesn't snow in Sacramento, and barely rains. X.X

But is shower water really that bad that rinsing with rain water will soften it? O.o (Again, I'm new. >.< )

BlueMuse
February 6th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I guess I'm lucky in that I live close enough to some serious snow capped mountains that I could walk outside, go three miles, and step on the foothills. We have great runoff water all year long.

Gothic Lolita
February 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM
That's an idea! and my garden is full of it! I might go outside and collect some snow later today, I'm only washing tomorrow and until then it also should have a nice temperature.
I remember that my hair really liked Finnish lake water so I guess it should also like snow.