PDA

View Full Version : Well I guess that's it... And tailbone length!

Little_Bird
January 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Hey everyone!

So let's have a little debate here :p Mu ultimate goal is classic lenght with blunt ends. I have recently reached a solid tailbone lenght (with creepy stupid hatefull layers and uncut ends), which pulled straight get to about the middle of my butt (so mid classic probably). It looks like this:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/LittleBirdLongHair/Site/1.jpg

The things is, I was planning to grow for 6 more months and try to reach 110 cm (I'm currently at 105,5 +, goal is 115-120) and after that start trimming my growth every month untill I had at least a semi blunt hemline.

I can't stand my ends anymore. My hair is see trough from hip down at this point, and my braid taper is shamefull to me. I know my hair is very thick, and that might be why the contrast is so big.

Anyways, I've been thinking about trimming my hair for a long time. Today I will be trimming my sister's hair again. In the morning when I was combing I looked back in the mirror and I just felt unhappy about my hair. The longest strands are quite invisible if I'm not wearing dark clothes (which I barely do). Yes, I want it longer, but will it pay to just grow those thin ends?

They are a little split too, I notice. So I think I will try to mantain it at tailbone, knowing that I'm close to classic and I can just stop trimming again whenever I want. My last trim was maybe 7 months ago, where I left my hair at 97 cm (38.19 inches). From there on it grew 8 cm, up to 41 inches. I think it's pretty good.

I am scared that I can't even up my ends due to terminal lenght, but, I recall most people trimming their hair along the way and having a blunt hemline at some point. I never had a blunt hemline, and I think that might be the reason why my ends look the way they do.

So what do you think? Blunt hemline first, and grow the last 6 inches next year? (Or close to that...)...?

renarok
January 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
First off I think your hair is absolutely gorgeous. I think a trim of just a couple of inches will be plenty to make your hair seem much fuller on the ends.

Anje
January 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I can understand how you feel about your taper (I'm fighting with my own, though mine will never be as thick and full as yours), but I do have to say that you have particularly nice fairytale ends, LittleBird. It goes from not-at-all-see-through to gone in a fairly short distance (maybe 15cm?), rather than some of the very long distance of see-through ends you sometimes see. That I can't see through your hair at about hip when you're wearing a white shirt is impressive, and you should be pleased with that.

I don't think you'll have any problem with classic and blunt ends, so don't worry too much about terminal. Even if you do cut it, there will be uncut hairs just above the cut line that will be able to grow past, reaching an uncut terminal length eventually, and all you would have to do is stop trimming to gain more length.

Whether you want to blunt your ends first and then grow to classic, or maintain there is really your own choice. You shouldn't hate your hair, which leaves the question of whether you want to trim a few inches for thick ends now, or if you're happy enough with it and more eager to gain length to wait until you've reached your goal. Either way, your hair is enviable.

jojo
January 29th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I think your hair is beautiful and I really envy your thickness, IMHO id trim to a blunt hemline. My reasons for this being thick hair looks better in my opinion with a blunt hemline, finer hairs looks good with fairy tale endings as it blends better.

In 6 months time you will be cack to where you are now but with a thicker hemline or just dusting monthly would benefit.

FrannyG
January 29th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Clearly, you're not a fan of fairytale ends. If you were I'd say don't do a thing.

However, since you don't like the fairytale ends, I think you'll be happier with a more blunt hemline. So I say, blunt hemline first and keep growing from there.

I will say that in my mind your hair is perfect as it is. However, the most important thing is for you to be happy. :blossom:

Clarisse
January 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I'd say blunt hemline now, classic length next year.
Your hair is really beautiful, an I love your thickness, but if your unhappy about your thin fairytale ends, I would cut them off and grow even longer from that point. Your hair is long enough it won't look at all short, if you cut a couple of inches off. But the more you don't trim your hair, the thinner your hemline will be. Personally, I really like blunt (or at least bluntish) hemlines. Another reason to trim is that your freshly cut ends will be stronger and less damageprone, and this way your hair will probably be able to grow even longer.

LaurelSpring
January 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I was going through this same thing due to past layering. I didnt trim for almost a year and I had an extreme taper that was bugging me. In August I decided to trim and I took off a couple of inches. I very much regret it still!! I miss those inches and that taper. I wish I had it back. If its making you crazy just start doing mini microtrim dustings once a month and eventually thicken it up as you go without noticeably taking a big amount. It is less stressful that way.

Merewen
January 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Since you prefer blunt ends so much, I say go for the trim. You're going to have to trim them sooner or later. That way you are happy with it now and you can start for classic with hair you are enjoying.

elina333
January 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
If you're not happy with it, I'd say cut it and then wait. As someone above me said, fairytale ends look better on hair thats not as thick as yours. Good luck either way :cheer:

Fayjoi
January 29th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous! May be you could trim 1 inch first, and see how your ends look then. I'm sure it already would make a big difference.

spidermom
January 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I vote for the trim also. I'm so happy with my recent cut, and I think you will be happier, too.

Little_Bird
January 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
You guys are making me so confuse! GAH :p

Don't get me wrong tough. If I were to start trimming now, I would trim a cm every month, not more than that, I would never have a big trim to even it up all at once, it would be traumatic to me, as Laurel Spring said.

I don't hate my hair, I love it. My sister has THICK MASSIVE ends tough, since she had her hair cut from classic to waist, and it makes me wonder if I can get it that way, how long it will take... That might be the first reason why I'm so eager to try and make my ends thicker.

Also, I never tought that my faerytale ends looked good, honestly I tought they were very bad ones. So thank's Anje and Franny and the people who gave me thumbs up on them :) it makes me feel better about them. I just feel that they are hiding the true lenght of my hair, and that's silly I know.

On the other hand, I have so much pressure around me. At school, at home, with friends... :( But I also know they are simply being destructive about my hair and want me to cut it short all over again.

I am very confused at this point (I already was before writing this thread :p) So i think I'll ask my sister to measure my hair for me. I'll probably end up just trying to make a small dusting, to clean up the very ends of my hair.

My very first plan was to let my hair grow all the way to classic and then mantain... I'm just too scared that I can get there with hair so thin that it will never thicken up even with regular trims. Does that make sence or am I making it all up?

Thank's so much for your kind replies guys :flower: It's just like a said today to my friend: once you start growing and the years go by, it's so hard to start mantaining or trimming... I am really feeling that now :(

LadyLongLocks
January 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I think that if YOU are not happy with the hemline that you should give it a little trim now. A little trim can make a big difference. Then let it grow longer and then maintain it with regular trims.
If you keep looking at it and feel sad, I would trim it a little.
If I were you, I would trim it a little to remove some split ends that you mentioned. Do a search and destroy for the shorter hairs. Wear your hair up more so you are not thinking of the ends ( or seeing them!) Now when you wear your hair up you can leave in some oils to keep those ends happier.
If you wear your hair down most of the time and are going to be seeing your ends more, I would trim a bit more now. No point in feeling bad about the way your hair looks for months!
The stress you will feel by looking at the hair and not being happy is not worth it in my opinion. You need to think about it a bit more and decide.

In my case, I trimmed a lot during my journey. Being able to self trim was part of the reason. I actually trimmed so much that I had to stop or I would never reach my goal. I always went for a blunt hemline. Keeping my ends thick and blunt are my biggest challenge!

You have great hair Little Bird! Best of luck to you :)

ericthegreat
January 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Definitely trim around 2 inches off. You clearly have full, thick hair, but your ends are thinning out and are uneven. You are at tailbone length now man! You can definitely afford a healthy cut and still have very long, beautiful hair! In my humble opinion, naturally thick hair looks even healthier when the ends are also thick and well trimmed. :flower:

little_acorn
January 29th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Little_bird you have beautiful hair, I also think that if you trim 2 inches off your ends will look much more like you want them too (blunter and more even) and it should only take a few months to grow it back.

ericthegreat
January 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I myself have a goal for terminal length. But I too S&D my ends at least once every 2 weeks. I use my haircutting scissors to trim off around 1/8 of an inch, taking off only any split ends I see. And around once every 5 to 6 months, I will go to my salon for a complete haircut. I will have 2 whole inches cut off completely into a one-length hemline. Even with all my trimming, I still have tremendous amount of growth. Don't worry about the trim man, in the end you will eventually get to classic length but with THICK, HEALTHY ends.

Little_Bird
January 31st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Thank you SO much everyone who replied for this thread!

JJJ, Eric and Little Accorn, thank's for your advice also!

I have decided to wait it out. Some people have just made me look at my ends in a diferent way, as I never realised they could actually look good as fairytale ends... When I was brushing them the day I posted this thread I felt I like them. I mean, I have some splits, like everybody does, and most of mine are not on the hemline. Plus, my ends are shiny still and feel soft :)
I think I'm going to keep up with my plan to trim only in July. By then I will be very close to classic lenght and I will be more relaxed about getting a trim.

I'm sorry that I always have to come up with threads like this, but you guys do help me out :) And I so much apreciate it :flower:

Liss
January 31st, 2010, 09:25 AM
I'm pleased that you have received such positive responses about the appearance of your fairy ends, they really do look so pretty.
I think that trimming off 2 inches would make a visible difference to the ends, but at the same time as you mentioned that they are healthy, so I suggest just leaving them for the time being.
As you plan to have a proper trim in July it gives you 6 months to discover a new appreciation for the way your hair is growing and see the beauty in itself, rather than always comparing it to your sisters hair.

GoddesJourney
January 31st, 2010, 02:08 PM
I would take off two to three inches so you can just be happy with it. I think it's more important that you be happy. It will grow back pretty fast anyway. You might even be surprised at how fast it grows without damage/breakage at the ends impeding your growth. You're at a nice length anyway, to where even if you cut off the whole six inches, it will still be quite long.

ETA: Right, I just read your last post, so nevermind. If your ends are in fact, not really damaged, you should enjoy them until your scheduled trim.

camirra555
January 31st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Since you prefer blunt ends so much, I say go for the trim. You're going to have to trim them sooner or later. That way you are happy with it now and you can start for classic with hair you are enjoying.

I completely agree! :)

RoseRedDead
January 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM
I say go for the trim, then grow to classic. From reading your posts, it sounds like you'll be happier that way.

Lovely hair, btw. Is very impressive just the way it is.

Pear Martini
January 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM
Lovely pic!

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
The original post in this thread is EXACTLY my dilemma. My ends are pretty darn see-through from classic to here at nearly mid-thigh. They're not badly split, just thinned out, I think, from the quicker growth I tend to get in the back and middle. So I picked a milestone (fingertip) and now that I've grown out here, I'm maintaining until my thickness moves down. I think that after about a year, I'll be able to tell whether this is going to happen or not. My health is improving, so we'll see. What I'm doing is to trim about 1/2" off every month so that I'll stay around this length.

In the end, the choice is up to you - but you know that already. If you're unhappy with your ends, trim off a couple of inches and try again. If you think you can live with them for awhile, maintain at TB until the thickness moves down, if it's going to. :flower: Good luck with what you decide to do.

dagny
February 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
While my hair isn't your length (yet!) I can definitely understand your dilemma. I think your decision should be based on a couple of things. First, what is your ultimate hair goal? By this I am not really talking about specific length, but how you want it to look. If you want length and don't care about how it "looks" -- then leave it alone.

If you like the "fairy tale" ends, then maybe a slight trim to thicken it a bit, but still get the "look" you are aiming for.

If you want thick and blunt on the ends, then cut it to the length you think you will achieve this.

If you are not really sure but you do NOT like the way it looks now, then just do a tiny trim (1/4") and see if it makes you happy. After a week or so, you could always go another 1/4" and continue in this manner until you are at a look/length that you are happy with.

As for the concern of terminal length and cutting off the length and not being able to achieve it. Well, I think this goes back to the issue of what "look" you are aiming for. Length is good and all, but if you can't get it to look how you want, then you need to sacrifice something -- either it be length or your idea of how you want your hair to appear.

I HTH and good luck with your decision. :-)