PDA

View Full Version : Is trimming "undamaged" hair necessary?

ambism
January 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hello all! I'm new here... and very interested in the health of my hair. Since I buzzed off my bleached locks off back in November of '08 (at 18), I've been taking care of new growth like it's gold. Natural drying, sulfate free shampoo (Naked Naturals), wooden comb to prevent static, hair sticks, various oils (mainly Vitamin E), washing hair once a week... etc., the whole nine yards!

Now, my concern is this... even though I don't have any split ends and my ends aren't completely dry (they're just slightly crispy -- or NOT as silky as the top), should I trim my hair? I haven't touched it since I buzzed it off (1yr. and 3 mnths)? Is trimming necessary for better growth or should I continue on without trimming? ... I want it LONG and I want the length fast (greedy, I know!). Any suggestions? What's causing dry ends when the hair is being treated like royalty?

:) _Alena

ali beast
January 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ooh, Ambism, good question! I'm in a similar situation and i wanna hear what the LHCers have to say! (I, too, have been taking good care of my virgin hair, post ultra short pixie, and my ends aren't quite up to par, as well.)

Dars
January 29th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Welcome to LHC! :) Trimming healthy ends is not necessary, it's mostly done when the person desires a blunt hemline. Opting for no trim produces fairy tale ends. You might want to try S&D (search and destroy) which is just seeking out individual damaged hairs and snipping them off, but I think you hair may be too short for that just yet. Ends of your hair are much older than the newer hairs coming in so even with the best care damage and dryness can occur. Treat them to a moisture treatment.

MadPirateBippy
January 29th, 2010, 12:36 AM
If it's not damaged, don't cut it. If your hair is crispy at the end you might want to do a gentle clarifying wash, and perhaps a vinegar rinse. Just squeese out some of your shampoo, and put a TINY bit (a teaspoon would work on my tailbone-length hair) of baking soda in with your shampoo, mix it in, start at the ends and work up. Do a second wash without shampoo or do a condition, and then rinse with a diluted vinegar. If the cripsy ends are from buildup from products or even hard water, you should be silky smooth through your whole length again.

I have to do that about every 2-3 months. :)

jera
January 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM
LOL if my hair was undamaged I'd grow it down to the floor as fast as possible. :D

IE, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just grow and enjoy. :p

jel
January 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM
What they said! :D Enjoy your healthy hair (and try clarifying and S&D as needed).

You might want to check out the No-Trimming Club in my siggy...

FrannyG
January 29th, 2010, 05:27 AM
No, there's absolutely no need to trim your healthy hair. You may find that when it gets longer, you might want the occasional tiny trim to keep the ends looking tidy, but you might not.

It's all about personal preference, so you just go and let it grow!

jojo
January 29th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Id try a little oil on the ends, as for trimming no it isnt necessary but splits can travel up and break off which will cause a false stall. there are lots on here who never ever cut and have beautiful long hair. I think twice a year trims are enough.

Felix_D
January 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM
You might want to try S&D (search and destroy) which is just seeking out individual damaged hairs and snipping them off, but I think you hair may be too short for that just yet.

Out of curiousity, those of you who do get split ends, at what length did they start showing up? I'm still very short (earlobe level) and found no splits when I did a quick look through the other day.

bumblebums
January 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM
You could get split ends even at earlobe level if you get a bad enough haircut. If your stylist uses razors or dull scissors, that can cause split ends. Otherwise, you can get them at any of the longer lengths, but my impression is that most people start finding some at waist length or so. (I might be wrong, though; it depends on the condition and the coarseness of the hair.)

To the OP--don't cut it if you want fastest growth. You'll pass through a few awkward stages, but as long as you can deal with those, you'll be okay.

As far as dry ends, I think at your current length (9 in), oiling might be difficult, as it's too close to the scalp still and might produce greasiness. I suspect, though, that it is build-up of some sort rather than wear+tear. I had horrible dry ends at 19 inches, but they returned to a decent state when I changed how I wash my hair.

Peter
January 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
If you want to have long hair as quick as possible, I don't think you should trim unless your ends are in bad condition.

If you do trim at some point, remember that a little goes a long way!

Anje
January 29th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I get some splits in my "bangs" at around eye level, but those are particularly fragile hairs with short terminal lengths on me.

As others have said, trimming is really only necessary if you have lots of splits at the ends (it doesn't help much if your splits are higher up in your hair, when it's long enough to hang down), or if you want thick even ends. If you like ends that taper gradually, going without trimming is the way to achieve it.

Ends that feel different from the hair that's on top is pretty normal, though it helps to protect the ends and make sure they get extra moisture to keep them in good condition. I like to point people to a treatment in the Recipes called an SMT. Extremely moisturizing -- my husband even loved the results enough to be eager to try it again, and he's not into that sort of thing.

ambism
January 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Thank you all for the responses! :D I'll def. put more oil on my ends (it's only about an inch of dryness (that's bugging me!)). My hair has been growing rather quickly so I didn't want to shorten it by trimming anything unnecessary.

... I wish it was coarse but... I gotta make do with what I have. :/

Thanks again! XD

ravenreed
January 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I trim fairly regularly for two reasons besides splits. I have layers and they grow out and look odd if they are not trimmed every so often. The other reason is that one side of my head grows significantly faster than the other, so that even as little as three months later there is a noticeable difference. However, neither of these problems requires a huge trim.

Eniratak
January 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Out of curiousity, those of you who do get split ends, at what length did they start showing up? I'm still very short (earlobe level) and found no splits when I did a quick look through the other day.

I didn't get splits, none that I noticed anyway, until I started using a straightener. Now I have tons. So that would be around hip length, I believe.

Rivanariko
January 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I baby my hair and take very good care of it, and still get splits, so I need to S&D regularly and trim on occasion to keep my hair from getting more damaged and breaking up the length. If you don't have any damage though, then don't trim! You might find as you get longer that you'll want the occasional micro-trim to keep your ends looking neat, or you might opt for "fairytale" ends that are more tapering and natural looking. Fine hair is also prone to damage from friction on clothes and things, so you might find more damage as your hair gets longer as well. But until that point, let it grow!

I'll second the recommendation for SMT. I'm a particularly fan of Aloe Vera, personally. I lived in the desert last summer and it saved my ends!

jera
January 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Heya Felix. That's a good question. My first splits showed up at mid back length. :o I used to blowfry at the time and I'm sure that contributed a lot to the problem.

HairColoredHair
January 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM
The only reason to trim healthy ends is to keep a shape, IMO. :)

Sissy
January 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
The only reason to trim healthy ends is to keep a shape, IMO. :)

yes, I agree.

Regarding when splits started showing up. I never really paid them much mind until I joined LHC. I have several split ends and I have tailbone length hair. Before joining LHC I used to iron my hair almost daily and I blew dry it roughly on high heat setting. So, this may be why my hair splits so easily... it is previously damaged/weak hair.

BrightEyes
January 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I do very small trims (no more than 1/4 inch) every few months. When I was using heat on my hair, trims were a must. Now that I am no longer using heat, I still trim. I have layers that I like, so trims keep the shape looking nice. And I want a blunt hemline. And since my hair grows unevenly, trims are the way to go for me.

JamieLeigh
February 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Trimming is mostly done for shaping purposes, and out of personal preference, rather than need. A good S&D session usually gets rid of your splits (just trimming off the split at the end of the individual hair) so that if you don't want to trim, you don't have to. :)

Tap Dancer
February 2nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Personally, I would trim the dry ends off. It'll make your hair look and feel better. But non-damaged hair doesn't need regular trims. I've gone more than a year at a time without trimming and my ends were fine.

bumblebums
February 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Personally, I would trim the dry ends off. It'll make your hair look and feel better. But non-damaged hair doesn't need regular trims. I've gone more than a year at a time without trimming and my ends were fine.

What looks like dry ends could be residue and deposits from conditioner and product. Sometimes an oiling or a clarifying wash can revive dry ends. The OP's hair is pretty short, so it may be possible to rehabilitate it.

HeatherAshley3
February 2nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hi! I ALSO damaged my hair horrible due to bleach. Then I dyed it brown/black. And bleached it back blonde...Had to chop it all off!
Its good to know other girls can relate!!

oh and I personally wouldnt trim it...just keep conditioning it!! Sounds like your doing great!!