PDA

View Full Version : I have I hair that I hate

Rosepatrice
April 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I know the drill. Eat right. Take vitamins. Exercise. ect. My health is normal, and two Dr.s have confirmed that there are no medical reasons they can find for this hair loss problem. They have tested me for every imaginable thing. I am fine. Thank GOD.

However, what's causing this? I miss my III hair. Prayers, Hugs, Happy thoughts, Ideas on the cause, anyone?

Thanks.

Lamb
April 28th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Could it be telogen effluvium, when a ton of hairs reach their final life stage at the same time and fall out? I hope someone who knows more about it chimes in soon. (((HUGS)))

Xanthippe
April 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I had a major shed in 2006 right before I found LHC. I never went to the doctor to figure out what caused it, but I believe it was due to major stress in my life that year.

Shanarana
April 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Do you have any pictures? What is your current hair routine now?

salamander
April 28th, 2008, 05:38 PM
How old are you? There are some ages where hormone shifts often cause natural sheds.

Elenna
April 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I used to have thinning hair that was awful (like shredded cardboard), but it was due to health problems. It takes a while to work out health problems. My advice to you is to continue to research and try out different health products.

Lately, I've been drinking green smoothies.

Rustella
April 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
This happened to me twice in my life. Both times I went to the doctor. Both times they did extensive testing, only to tell me that it was due to stress. The first time I was going through a divorce, and the second time I was in graduate school and having a tough semester. It lasted for a few months and then stopped slowly as the stress eased up. I continued to eat right and take care of myself and that probably helped slow it down. Luckily I have tons of hair and even my hairdresser could not tell, but it scared me that it would not stop. It did stop, and years later it has not happened again. Just make sure to rule out a medical cause and to take good care of yourself while you are going through it.

Rosepatrice
April 28th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Well, I just don't know the cause yet. maybe stress as my friend went bald last year before she died of cancer. Sympathy pains, maybe?:shrug:

jessie58
April 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM
You might find some helpful informatin in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001)thread. It's mentions some causes of hair shedding, it lists a link to a women's hair loss forum and it also list some essential oil recipes that may help stop shedding.

Rosepatrice
April 28th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you so much. This is depressing!!

I want my hair backkkk:(

Cinnamon Hair
April 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
My sympathies. Shedding a small animal can be scary! In addition to the suggestions above, try checking out the Monistat thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156&highlight=monistat).

Rosepatrice
April 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
thank you Cinnamon. That is alot to read this late at night so I just have two questions>>>> is the Monistat taken in pill form? Does it kill Candida which is why it's reccommended for hair loose?

Thanks! It's just getting TOO late to read everything to find out two answers, LOL!:cheese:

Elenna
April 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Actually , the Monistat is not in pill form. :rolleyes:

Isilme
April 29th, 2008, 02:39 AM
you just massage the cream into your scalp, let sit and rinse if I'm not mistaken?

heidi w.
April 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I know the drill. Eat right. Take vitamins. Exercise. ect. My health is normal, and two Dr.s have confirmed that there are no medical reasons they can find for this hair loss problem. They have tested me for every imaginable thing. I am fine. Thank GOD.

However, what's causing this? I miss my III hair. Prayers, Hugs, Happy thoughts, Ideas on the cause, anyone?

Thanks.

This is very difficult to work with to figure out any possibilities. There are only a few possibilities I can think of:

1. Are you borderline low in iron OR borderline low just before or after your period in iron, or iron storage, which requires a different timing for the test because where it's stored is in the bones? During mensus, if iron is low, it pulls from storage, thus depleting storage supplies. Generally a blood test. (I'm assuming an iron blood screen was done and that came out acceptable, but if it's borderline it can cause chronic, low-grade hair loss over time such that you won't notice the thinning til after quite some time.)

2. Stress? Any really stressful things going on?

3. What age are you? The less volume of hair may be normal.

4. I know this is dicey to ask, but are you vegetarian? Some people who choose vegetarian have a harder time getting sufficient protein. I'm not against vegetarianism, but for some the protein issue can be more of a concern than for others.

5. You haven't recently been pregnant, nor have any scalp skin conditions, right? Nor any coloring or other processes to hair.....?

heidi w.

Rosepatrice
April 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Heidi
Probably stress, but I've never had a completely stress free life, in fact, it's been a rocky road, but I still had managed to grow III hair back then! I am in my 30's, so maybe it's an ageing factor invovled? Hump. Getting old isn't fun, but dancing with cheese is!:cheese::cheese:

thanks

alys
April 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
A girl at my work has stress related Alopecia (sp?) and it's just an awful thing to witness. For anyone, but especially her, she's 1/2 Asian and her long, thick, shiny black hair was like spun onyx. Gorgeous. During a very stressful period in her life recently, she lost about 70% of her hair. In rhyme-less chunks and patches. It's painful to see since her attitude is always so positive and she always has a sweet smile on her face despite the hat she now always wears. You, and she, are in my version of prayers...Keep your head up and be gentle with yourself...

sipnsun
April 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Around the age of 32, my hair started shedding considerably more than it ever had before. It's always been fine and on the thin side, but now it's very thin and I continue to shed daily. I guess its my age, or hormones, or both, but I dont like it either.

Rosepatrice
April 29th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hello and thank you kindly for your prayers. :)
:shrug:

Shell
April 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'm having a big shed right now, and I don't know what's causing it. My life is no more stressful than normal, and I don't have any other obvious symptoms (I had my thyroid checked last year--so I may do that again). I'm hoping that it's seasonal, or just a big shed before a growth spurt--or is that just wishful thinking?

Anyway, good luck figuring it out, and remember, stress can be cumulative. Maybe you should learn to meditate, or do yoga, or something?

heidi w.
April 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Around the age of 32, my hair started shedding considerably more than it ever had before. It's always been fine and on the thin side, but now it's very thin and I continue to shed daily. I guess its my age, or hormones, or both, but I dont like it either.

Have you seen a doctor about this? It could be related to hormones or iron or thyroid, even if borderline....just a thought.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM
A girl at my work has stress related Alopecia (sp?) and it's just an awful thing to witness. For anyone, but especially her, she's 1/2 Asian and her long, thick, shiny black hair was like spun onyx. Gorgeous. During a very stressful period in her life recently, she lost about 70% of her hair. In rhyme-less chunks and patches. It's painful to see since her attitude is always so positive and she always has a sweet smile on her face despite the hat she now always wears. You, and she, are in my version of prayers...Keep your head up and be gentle with yourself...

Has the work friend been checked for thyroid, and this unequivocally ruled out? The description of hair falling out in rhyme-less chunks and patches is exactly, precisely, how hair falls out when it's thyroid related. She should get this checked to be sure before the hair follicles actually die and growing the hair back is irretrievable. Thyroid issues, once mended medically and treated appropriately (there are 2 kinds of thyroid), the hair will grow back over time.

Stress can do a number, and it has to be usually fairly high stress. If it's just stress related, then hair will grow back once addressed (the follicles don't die in stress). We all have stress, it's about degree. Stress related alopecia seems two things being correlated that aren't (medically speaking) -- Aura Alopecia (sp?) is an autoimmune disorder, and there are new treatments out now for this. Some are able to re-grow hair, depending on a lot of factors.

I recommend mentioning this to the friend at work.

heidi w.

heidi w.
April 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Heidi
Probably stress, but I've never had a completely stress free life, in fact, it's been a rocky road, but I still had managed to grow III hair back then! I am in my 30's, so maybe it's an ageing factor invovled? Hump. Getting old isn't fun, but dancing with cheese is!:cheese::cheese:

thanks

By 30 some of the volume for most, likely, has thinned a little. A big shift in hair volume occurs around the timing of age 21-25 (give or take a bit).

Likely normal for you based on genetics, most likely.

heidi w.

Rosepatrice
June 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I forgot I had this thread, LOL.

Thanks all.

I have been to a Dr. and he said that my tests came out all normal. He sugggested that there is a prescription, but it's not good at all for the body, and he didn't reccommend it for me.

I have a question about Monistat, if you will:D

How is that applied to the scalp? Is it diluted? Why does it work for hair growth?
:cheese: Thank you!