PDA

View Full Version : My long almost 1 year hair dilemma, (pics)

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I will try to make this story short,

basically I have wanted this hairstyle for almost a year now

http://us.starmedia.com/serviciosstm/img/es/Luis-Fonsi-170309g.jpg

http://www.ritmic.com/music/img/es/LuisFonsi.jpg

I am no idiot, I know that these artist they do photoshop to them and all, and my hair will never be perfect,

but...

I want it similar to his

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/eb55a8725bc54572b084310ffcfc9f6e

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/8f01d779322a4acebfe620a06ea834af

days washed:

I tend to wash my hair everyday, even when I have tried washing every other day my hair gets into a sick mess.

I used a hairspray, dove, and man o man it was way too fragrant, my bro said its fine though not too perfumy.

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/b0c8b87ec9c941e098d1104e29290fc0

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/8b63f8ec0ba14f419478d0a452d39b3a
My Dilemma

Need something to tame flyaways, wax did not work for me, and gel leaves it too crunchy and hairspray is way too fragrant,

I just bought a clay, redken's.

My hair on the day it is not washed is a ugly ugly mess no matter how much i comb/brush/finger untangle it out.

what can I do? obvioulsy I know my hair is short, but I want to know what can I do to tame these flyaways,

and is it okay to wash hair every day, I mean look at what happens when I dont.

When i mean wash, I mean just using American crew shampoo,

I am almost giving up, on using long hair and will cut my hair even shorter,

I know I got a lot of hair to grow to achieve the style, but if my hair is giving me so much problems now, imagine when longer.

helpppp please. =( I am a athlete by the way and sweat lots when work out, I work out like 4 times a week.

I am about to go crazy :crazyq:

:thudpile:

Ravenwaves 88
January 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
It seems to me that by your pictures you have hair with some wave or even curl to it. It is unrealistic to think that you will have the same hair as that singer has. He looks like his hair is straight and thinner naturally. I don't mean to be harsh but I just wanted you to keep your goals realistic and reachable or you will always be frustrated when trying to attain the unattainable. Just try to make peace with your texture if that is the case. Maybe find another person with a similar hair type/texture.

If I am completely wrong about your hair type, I apologize. I think you are very handsome, and you have great hair. Good luck. Keep growing!

FrannyG
January 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I think that it's time that you fill out your hair type information, so we can better help you. I honestly don't see any problem with your hair as it is.

Have you tried CO washing? That might be one way to go.

I think you're much harder on yourself than you need to be. Just keep growing and let us see your progress.

Again, I urge you to fill out your hair type information in you profile, too. It really does help.

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
It seems to me that by your pictures you have hair with some wave or even curl to it. It is unrealistic to think that you will have the same hair as that singer has. He looks like his hair is straight and thinner naturally. I don't mean to be harsh but I just wanted you to keep your goals realistic and reachable or you will always be frustrated when trying to attain the unattainable. Just try to make peace with your texture if that is the case. Maybe find another person with a similar hair type/texture.

If I am completely wrong about your hair type, I apologize. I think you are very handsome, and you have great hair. Good luck. Keep growing!

He has a slight wave to his as well

http://blogamole.mtvtr3s.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/luis_fonsi_grammy.jpg

but ye know what u mean my hair does have a wave to it for sure, I do want to have medium length hair though.

not if it so much trouble, please answer back more answers needed I still dont know what to do.

I think that it's time that you fill out your hair type information, so we can better help you. I honestly don't see any problem with your hair as it is.

Have you tried CO washing? That might be one way to go.

I think you're much harder on yourself than you need to be. Just keep growing and let us see your progress.

Again, I urge you to fill out your hair type information in you profile, too. It really does help.

I did condition every day, but my hair got way to greasy.

I used pantene, I gots a deep recovery triple moisture conditioner though.

My hair info:
Type: wavyish- not too curly though only when I wake up its quite curly

length: look at my pics,

and my hair is not too thick, nor is it too thin either. its balanced,

dont know what to do? my hair when washed,

http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/8b63f8ec0ba14f419478d0a452d39b3a

hair when it is not washed:
http://www.photoshop.com/accounts/0c2eb69f942d4dbc9a09406395fef628/px-assets/8f01d779322a4acebfe620a06ea834af

help???? answers??

birthmarkie
January 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Looks like you'll get there in 4 months or so...depending on how long your neck and forehead are. It takes hair about 1 month to grow a half inch.

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Looks like you'll get there in 4 months or so...depending on how long your neck and forehead are. It takes hair about 1 month to grow a half inch.

yea but the problem is, that I have to wash everyday so that my hair is not so unruly, and I hear that is bad,

and I dont know what product works good, though the one I used in the good pic of me, was hairspray but way too fragrant,

i bought a clay maybe that will help?

but

yeah, I hope, I dont go bald, am i not sure if what I am doing to my hair is good. ughhhhhhhhhhhh

but if I dont wash it gets hard to style as u can see in that pic where my hair aint washed.

My Dilemma

Need something to tame flyaways, wax did not work for me, and gel leaves it too crunchy and hairspray is way too fragrant,

I just bought a clay, redken's.

My hair on the day it is not washed is a ugly ugly mess no matter how much i comb/brush/finger untangle it out.

what can I do? obvioulsy I know my hair is short, but I want to know what can I do to tame these flyaways,

and is it okay to wash hair every day, I mean look at what happens when I dont.

When i mean wash, I mean just using American crew shampoo,

I am almost giving up, on using long hair and will cut my hair even shorter,

I know I got a lot of hair to grow to achieve the style, but if my hair is giving me so much problems now, imagine when longer.

helpppp please. =( I am a athlete by the way and sweat lots when work out, I work out like 4 times a week.

I am about to go crazy

Lamb
January 27th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Most people here are not into short hairstyles like the one in your pictures.

I think you might get better answers at the forums of hairboutique.com, where they are more into styling short hair. :flower:

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Most people here are not into short hairstyles like the one in your pictures.

I think you might get better answers at the forums of hairboutique.com, where they are more into styling short hair. :flower:

ya but the style i want is not that short if you read, what I said.

birthmarkie
January 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
yeah, I think you'll be fine washing daily with hair that's short.* use products without fragrance or with natural fragrance or just wash with water only. or give it a pat of water or light moisture throughout the day on non-wash days.
*and by short I mean your goal length

Lamb
January 27th, 2010, 07:41 PM
ya but the style i want is not that short if you read, what I said.
Sorry, I thought you meant the style in the pics you linked to (the first two ones in your original post). That style looks pretty short to me, the hair doesn't even cover the man's ears and doesn't reach his shoulders in the back. It's kinda like a shag-haircut.

talecon
January 27th, 2010, 07:44 PM
you are a cutie

melikai
January 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Your goal length isn't so long that you should have any problems with damage if you wash your hair every day. Heat styling causes more damage than washing daily, anyway.

I don't think you need to use a conditioner. I would use a more gentle shampoo that won't strip your hair too much. If you are washing every day, this will still keep your hair clean. If it is a more gentle shampoo you will be less likely to get flyaways, which are usually caused by hair being too dry, from my experience. Using a more gentle shampoo will also mean that you won't need a conditioner on the ends.

For styling, try first using no product with the more gentle shampoo. If you're still having troubles, you may want to try a very light gel that won't leave your hair hard or crunchy. Aloe gel might work.

You may find that you will be battling your hair's natural texture, if you are wavier than that guy in those pictures. You may then want to either look into getting a hairdryer to straighten your hair more, or try to compromise and make a similar style to his, but with more wave. If you use a hairdryer on shorter hair like yours is now, you'll probably just end up with more frizz, so you might want to leave that as a last resort and try going to a salon for a blowdry "test", to see if that will give you the look you want, before purchasing one yourself.

OleanderTime
January 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I love how you look in glasses! I second talecon's comment...

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
thanks ladies appreciate the comments.

Your goal length isn't so long that you should have any problems with damage if you wash your hair every day. Heat styling causes more damage than washing daily, anyway.

I don't think you need to use a conditioner. I would use a more gentle shampoo that won't strip your hair too much. If you are washing every day, this will still keep your hair clean. If it is a more gentle shampoo you will be less likely to get flyaways, which are usually caused by hair being too dry, from my experience. Using a more gentle shampoo will also mean that you won't need a conditioner on the ends.

For styling, try first using no product with the more gentle shampoo. If you're still having troubles, you may want to try a very light gel that won't leave your hair hard or crunchy. Aloe gel might work.

You may find that you will be battling your hair's natural texture, if you are wavier than that guy in those pictures. You may then want to either look into getting a hairdryer to straighten your hair more, or try to compromise and make a similar style to his, but with more wave. If you use a hairdryer on shorter hair like yours is now, you'll probably just end up with more frizz, so you might want to leave that as a last resort and try going to a salon for a blowdry "test", to see if that will give you the look you want, before purchasing one yourself.

I dont have aloe gel =/

Products I have

Redken's water wax
Redken's clay
Dove hairspray,
dippity do gel,

I never use heat appliances only a straightener for the bangs, but that about it,

id let my hair air dry, but I get sinuses that way believe me I tried,

I usually towel dry well not completely dry but not wet either

sorta damp ,sorta dry

which of the products that I have can I use to tame flywaways also I have been using all products when my hair is wet/damp

is it true if I use it, when dry it will have a better effect?

i did this with the hairspray and as you can see when I have glasses there are not a lot of frizzies, flyaways.

O and I do use a nice soft shampoo called American crew its balancing shampoo. :)

I used to use Pantene, but it made me lose more hair with this new shampoo, it help me a lot more,

but in regards to what product I can use, I mean which of the ones I have can I use? and do I use it when my hair is dry?

please answer back, very insightful answer =)

Sorry, I thought you meant the style in the pics you linked to (the first two ones in your original post). That style looks pretty short to me, the hair doesn't even cover the man's ears and doesn't reach his shoulders in the back. It's kinda like a shag-haircut.

yes i do mean that style, sorry for being rude, I am sorta frustrated with my hair, since I am so insecure about when to wash it what product to use,

i dont want to go bald, lol sorry thanks for your advice though appreciate it

which of the products I have can I use> ?

also I do think his hair is a bit wavy see look here

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/2009+Latino+Inaugural+Gala+Arrivals+8pOB2e1DFHyl.j pg

walterSCAN
January 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
You may have to get a different product if the ones you have already aren't working for you. In that case, I'll second melikai's suggestion of aloe gel and a more gentle shampoo-- something more gentle than what you are using currently, or the shampoo you have but diluted with water.

What is the clay, exactly? I've never heard of it. Have you tried it yet? Maybe give i a try and then report back. I don't think anything you've mentioned will make your hair fall out, so don't worry! :)

It's hard to answer your question with the restriction of the products you already own. If they don't work for what you want them to, they simply don't work and you'll probably have to try something else.

Sorry I can't be more help. :)

lol21
January 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
and my last post of that guy been on the cmp tooo long, so can I achieve it, or its best to look for a new hairstyle.

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/v/2/v2sj9qgfexkfgqes.jpg

You may have to get a different product if the ones you have already aren't working for you. In that case, I'll second melikai's suggestion of aloe gel and a more gentle shampoo-- something more gentle than what you are using currently, or the shampoo you have but diluted with water.

What is the clay, exactly? I've never heard of it. Have you tried it yet? Maybe give i a try and then report back. I don't think anything you've mentioned will make your hair fall out, so don't worry! :)

It's hard to answer your question with the restriction of the products you already own. If they don't work for what you want them to, they simply don't work and you'll probably have to try something else.

Sorry I can't be more help. :)

I actually think I have not applied them properly, I read somewhere that you need to have your hair dry to make it work,

the only one I tried with dry hair was the hairspray/

I just hope I dont lose all my hair with so much wash.

Irishred
January 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
lol21,

I suggest looking on this site for someone (mostly actors) with similar hair type to yours. you may get a better idea of your goal that way. http://coolmenshair.com/ . Tom Welling has wavier hair... you can reach a similar style but it is not the same as styling really short hair.

Washing your hair every day is not a bad thing if you need it (sweating for example). Getting used to 2nd day hair (or 5th day hair) can be a challenge that some never meet --- again, not a bad thing as every one is different. If you do want to try it, I suggest just wetting your hair on the off day. I do not know about the brand of shampoo you are using, though I did find it through a google search. Looks like it is specialty thing directed at men. It could be drying, you may want to test a moisturizing shampoo or something.

Gel can be put on wet or dry hair, try both. You could try aloe gel as suggested or mouse (looks like foam). A leave in conditioner could help... just a pea drop size. That site I linked above has styling suggestions also.

As far as balding... that is mostly genetic. A bad product could cause problems but there really aren't that many that bad unless you have allergies.

As far as your posted links being long, they are in the real world. lol21, you came to the long hair community... we have our own little world and long to us is mid back length or more, even on men so do baulk to us saying it looks short.

Good luck on your quest. I do think you can achieve it, just takes time.

melikai
January 28th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I dont have aloe gel =/

Products I have

Redken's water wax
Redken's clay
Dove hairspray,
dippity do gel,

I never use heat appliances only a straightener for the bangs, but that about it,

id let my hair air dry, but I get sinuses that way believe me I tried,

I usually towel dry well not completely dry but not wet either

sorta damp ,sorta dry

which of the products that I have can I use to tame flywaways also I have been using all products when my hair is wet/damp

is it true if I use it, when dry it will have a better effect?

i did this with the hairspray and as you can see when I have glasses there are not a lot of frizzies, flyaways.

O and I do use a nice soft shampoo called American crew its balancing shampoo. :)

I used to use Pantene, but it made me lose more hair with this new shampoo, it help me a lot more,

but in regards to what product I can use, I mean which of the ones I have can I use? and do I use it when my hair is dry?

Hairspray you use when your hair is dry. If you use the gel while your hair is still damp or wet, it will make your hair hard and "crunchy" when it dries, which I don't think you want. Also, the dippitydo gel has a lot of drying alcohols in it, from what I remember, which will give you further problems with frizz.

The water wax and the clay you can use when your hair is damp or dry, but they are usually used to style the hair into more of a spikey style or to give it volume and texture. I don't think that is what you want. There are some products with soft hold (American Crew makes some good ones) that you may want to try instead, but the cost of trying all these products can easily add up.

Have you tried using no products at all, just the shampoo, and seeing how your hair behaves?
Have you tried a drop or two of olive, coconut, or another popular oil on just your ends, when your hair is damp?

lol21
January 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hairspray you use when your hair is dry. If you use the gel while your hair is still damp or wet, it will make your hair hard and "crunchy" when it dries, which I don't think you want. Also, the dippitydo gel has a lot of drying alcohols in it, from what I remember, which will give you further problems with frizz.

The water wax and the clay you can use when your hair is damp or dry, but they are usually used to style the hair into more of a spikey style or to give it volume and texture. I don't think that is what you want. There are some products with soft hold (American Crew makes some good ones) that you may want to try instead, but the cost of trying all these products can easily add up.

Have you tried using no products at all, just the shampoo, and seeing how your hair behaves?
Have you tried a drop or two of olive, coconut, or another popular oil on just your ends, when your hair is damp?

well i am out of cash =( so I will work with the wax, and products I got,

I have tried just the shampoo but I get baby hairs that stick out.

lol21,

I suggest looking on this site for someone (mostly actors) with similar hair type to yours. you may get a better idea of your goal that way. http://coolmenshair.com/ . Tom Welling has wavier hair... you can reach a similar style but it is not the same as styling really short hair.

Washing your hair every day is not a bad thing if you need it (sweating for example). Getting used to 2nd day hair (or 5th day hair) can be a challenge that some never meet --- again, not a bad thing as every one is different. If you do want to try it, I suggest just wetting your hair on the off day. I do not know about the brand of shampoo you are using, though I did find it through a google search. Looks like it is specialty thing directed at men. It could be drying, you may want to test a moisturizing shampoo or something.

Gel can be put on wet or dry hair, try both. You could try aloe gel as suggested or mouse (looks like foam). A leave in conditioner could help... just a pea drop size. That site I linked above has styling suggestions also.

As far as balding... that is mostly genetic. A bad product could cause problems but there really aren't that many that bad unless you have allergies.

As far as your posted links being long, they are in the real world. lol21, you came to the long hair community... we have our own little world and long to us is mid back length or more, even on men so do baulk to us saying it looks short.

Good luck on your quest. I do think you can achieve it, just takes time.

yea tom welling has good hair as well, but my hair gets even wavier/curlier the days that I dont wash lol, no matter how hard I try to style it in that way, dont know why

but on days I wash I can achieve that style.

Alun
January 29th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I suppose some people would think that the style you're aiming for is long, for a guy, but it isn't really, or at least not within our little parallel universe. This forum is only about 10% male, but there are some men here whose hair is very long by any standards.

That said, I'm sure you're more than welcome here. I have to go back decades to imagine my hair that short, though!

You could also try the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard, at :-

http://www.mlhh.org

You'll find some of us guys from here over there too, but you'll also find a lot of guys there who have rather modest hair length.