PDA

View Full Version : Genetics? Hair history

jera
January 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM
What's the longest any member of your family ever wore their hair?

Everyone in my family was pretty much hair conservative as far as length goes, keeping it shoulder length or midback at the most. Except for my great grandmother who wore her hair waist length all her life ! She lived to be almost 90. She's always been my inspiration. :D

3azza
January 27th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Although my relatives (grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles) have all types and colours of hair i can think of, no one in my family had hair longer than midback. I wonder if it had to do with the genes (like slow growth and breakage) or with their personal choices. My inspiration came from women that were not relatives. I've had wasit length for some time and i'm hoping to achieve tailbone or a bit longer.

WyrdWay
January 27th, 2010, 02:40 AM
My Grandma told me that her grandma who was full blood native american had a braid that was TB length. And My mom said that her mom used to have long hair but I never got to see it long...

If we are only counting people we have seen in our family then I haven't seen anyone with hair as long as mine, and I'm struggling at APL :(

Keildra
January 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM
My mom and oldest sister both had classical at one point in their lives. They both have about shoulder length now and all I've seen is pictures of their long hair so I've never personally seen it long.

lexiflowers
January 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I was born in 1989, when my Mum had just begun to grow out the lower levels of a scary mullet type thing she'd had from the mid-80s. :p By the time I was six years old it was the same length all over and just past waist-length, despite the fact that she kept abusing it with hairspray and back-combing for a few years after I was born.

I remember when she got it cut up to shoulder length when I was six. I cried, and refused to believe she was my real Mummy for a whole day. :p

squee
January 27th, 2010, 09:25 AM
No one really in my blood family has had their hair past waist(personal reasons). Right now of the blood...my great aunt and I have the longest hair (TBish). Think my 2nd cousin had her hair at tailbone once as well. Perhaps other family members had long hair at one point in time, I will have to ask. :)

JamieLeigh
January 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
My grandmother and her sister are the only ones in my family that I know of who have had super-long hair. The sister was a member of the Pentacostal church, and my Grandmother just liked it long. :) My mom had sit-on-it length hair when she was in college in the late 60s-early 70s, but she keeps it short and heated and colored to death now. :p On my dad's side, everyone has curly, coarse, thick hair and nobody likes to deal with it once they get it past their ears. My cousin's is a little thinner but still pretty curly and she likes to keep it between APL and BSL.

So, at the moment, I'm pretty much it. :D

JamieLeigh
January 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I cried, and refused to believe she was my real Mummy for a whole day. :p

Sorry for double-posting, but I just had to say AWWWW. :flower:

Airisuu
January 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
My mother always had thick, glossy, black hair that she wore to her waist. I seem to remember that she started going silver early, (She couldn't have been much older than 30 at the time,) but I think it was from stress and poor diet.

On the other hand, I often question genetics because my mother and sister were both fairly dark skinned and had very dark hair, (mother's was black, sister's was dark brown,) and I've always been Whitey McWhiteWhite and was platinum blonde until age 13.

jera
January 27th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I was born in 1989, when my Mum had just begun to grow out the lower levels of a scary mullet type thing she'd had from the mid-80s. :p By the time I was six years old it was the same length all over and just past waist-length, despite the fact that she kept abusing it with hairspray and back-combing for a few years after I was born.

I remember when she got it cut up to shoulder length when I was six. I cried, and refused to believe she was my real Mummy for a whole day. :p

Aw, that's cute. I've been forgetting the men in my family though, and they deserve a mention because most of them have worn their hair long, ( as far as guy hair goes, shoulder length and beyond), and they always look awesome.:)

GoddesJourney
January 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The hispanic side of my family all had the length you sit on, which I'm assuming is classic) because most of them were not permitted to cut it until they were teenagers or older. Looking back, I bet they could have all achieved at least thigh length if they were trying to grow it. Nobody really handled their hair gently and my mom had just detergent to wash her hair with as a kid, poor nutrition, dirty water and a hot climate as a kid. I'm quite confident I can get thick hair at long lengths if I'm nice to it.

verene
January 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
A few family members have had long hair in my family. My cousin had hair near TB when she was little - my first inspiration to have long hair. I think another cousin is growing hers out now, seems like it was waist or so last I saw her. My mom and her sister have both kept their hair from waist to TB length over the years. My great-aunt also had long hair while she was alive - I don't know how long as she always kept it pinned up. Another aunt and uncle were long-haired hippies in the 70s. And of course I can't forget DH who has hair down to the middle of his back. ;-)

I think my mom and I are the longest currently though as all the other long hairs have cut their hair.

sunflowerseed
January 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
As far as I know, the longest someone in my family has had their hair is shoulder length. I'm sure i can grow longer than this, but I figure shorter hair was more comfortable to them.

Cherry_Sprinkle
January 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
The longest length I ever saw in my family was my aunt.. her hair was easily thigh/knee length. She kept it bunned all of the time. My mother had WL hair most of her young adult life.. so I am pretty confident I can get to classic someday! :)

elina333
January 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I have a small family so we only have three women in it :) My mom, my aunt and my grandma. My grandma has short hair and always had. My aunt has TBL hair. Wavy, fine but prob ii. My mom has waist length and its wavy too but like iii+! She has the thickest hair ever. I think she has like 8-9 inches in circumference, its insane! So I have great genes I think... :cheer:

Now all I can do is wait... :pray:

:D

jera
January 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have a small family so we only have three women in it :) My mom, my aunt and my grandma. My grandma has short hair and always had. My aunt has TBL hair. Wavy, fine but prob ii. My mom has waist length and its wavy too but like iii+! She has the thickest hair ever. I think she has like 8-9 inches in circumference, its insane! So I have great genes I think... :cheer:

Now all I can do is wait... :pray:

:D

OMG your mom's circumference is 8" - 9"? Seriously? You've just given me a major case of hair jealousy. :o