PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of roller setting my hair ?

lillithnight
January 27th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I'm thinking of roller setting my hair as a semi protective style. Because it would be easier for me to pull my hair up and off my lower neck. I want to set it leav it in for two weeks redoing twice a week till may. I love my curlswith all my heart, and i don't miss relaxers or anything. MY hair is easy to care in my opinion, but i would love to be able just brush my hair put a bit of oil to smooth and go.

Can any one sugest a good cone free setting lotion, and maby a good low poo?

WyrdWay
January 27th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I've heard that roller setting can cause a lot of manipulation, which may counter the protective styling aspect you are going for. ESP, since you want to do it for so long.

lillithnight
January 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM
hmm maby once a week set then to cut down on the manipulation. I will be letting it air dry, that takes out the heat manipulation factor. And i don't mind big bouncy hair, so i wont be flat ironing it. oh and of course i'll seal and moistertize my ends nightly.

I think alot of the manipulation comes from people brushing too vigorusly, much like how you can cause breakage from ripping through curly hair to detangle. I think the wearing it in a set two weeks a month will also help with manipulation issues to.

manderly
January 27th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Sorry I don't have much to add, I used to wet set my hair, but I did it for curls, not to smooth AA hair, so I don't have much knowledge in that department :)

I did like that wet setting held my style until I needed to wash (due to my scalp). I also used a bonnet dryer as opposed to air drying. It could take upwards of 8 hours to get my hair sufficiently dry. With the bonnet dryer it only took about 2 hours, and the heat was never hot enough that I felt it was damaging (it's sitting on your head nonstop, unlike a blowdryer).

I would just suggest you be careful removing the clips. That seemed to be the area I was prone to damage. :)

FrannyG
January 27th, 2010, 05:36 AM
What kind of rollers are you planning to use? Some are extremely hair friendly, while others are definitely not.

lillithnight
January 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM
solid plastic ones that don't have any fingers. I think th fingers on some would not begood for my hair.

FrannyG
January 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Solid plastic ones sound good and hair-friendly. :) I actually think you have a good plan. As long as you don't stretch your hair when you roll it, you shouldn't damage your hair.

lillithnight
January 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I think its the over stretching that would be bad for hair.

manderly
January 28th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Just don't roll them TOO tight. Hair is more elastic when wet, and it shrinks a bit when dried, that's why rollersetting creates just smooth and nice results.