PDA

View Full Version : hair type change - pic heavy

talecon
January 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I've been taking pictures of my hair every day for a week - do you see what you've done to me? not really of length though. with my curls abandoning me when I got pregnant last year and leaving me with some wavy hair I have no idea how to manage, I recently stopped using coconut oil, and I started hennaing my hair so my waves are getting more and more defined, I also brush with a bristle brush and I often put my hair in a bun or braid throughout the day now. I noticed that the day I henna, my hair is back to its curly self. but the day after it all falls flat again. next time I henna I will take before and after pictures

now for the pics, you can see the difference

before pregnancy (I'm holding my niece, not my kid ;))

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/l_eb84656dbbca683cc2c0e1610f5324d4.jpg?t=126456028 5

my hair sometime last week (it varies from barely wavy to really wavy)

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/Picture010-1.jpg?t=1264560461

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/Picture011-1.jpg?t=1264560495

in my bun knot

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/Picture016-1.jpg?t=1264560541

(sorry its so large I dont know how to resize)

today

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/Picture020-1.jpg?t=1264560654

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/tasha69lezbo/Picture021-1.jpg?t=1264560688

a few questions, can someone hair type my hair? whats going on to my hair? do you think there's any chance of it going back to curly? any tips on how to manage this wavy hair?

thnx u guys! :)

catysue
January 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Henna does tend to relax or release the curl pattern in your hair. It's definitely affected my hair. Adding a bit of amla to your henna mix can help save your curl.

talecon
January 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I couldnt blame it on the henna, I just recently started hennaing my hair last month
take a look at my hair when I was pregnant
this is in its natural state with coconut oil in

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/7/l_a821e9c720dc47949f7200f72336105e.jpg

talecon
January 26th, 2010, 08:25 PM
my hair kinda just died :/

GuinevereMay
January 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I can't help with typing or whatnot, but hormones can change your hair. My hair was silky and lustrous before kids (b.k.) Now it's got a mind of its own and is completely different. I used to have stick straight hair. Now I have waves. :shrug:

talecon
January 26th, 2010, 08:32 PM
yea I know, whats up with that?? so I guess I wont have curly hair again unless I happen to henna my hair about a million times maybe and somehow it stays curly :(

talecon
January 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
bump for hair typing pls :P

xoxophelia
January 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Well did you start doing anything different to your hair? Straightening it, heat styling?

Hair type can change for sure. My sister for example was born with goldilocks curls. Then, her hair became loose waves and slowly wavier. Not it is spiral curls again :).

Sweetness
January 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
did you try plopping it when wet ?? It makes my hair super 3b curly, while if I bun or brain it to dry it makes it somewhat 2c ... go figure :D

talecon
January 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I tried everything, before I would just put coconut oil in my hair after I got out of the shower, comb with a wide tooth comb, and let it air dry. now the coconut oil just makes my hair stick to itself which makes it look really thin and pathetic looking. so I recently cut out the coconut oil sort of an experiment because I havent gone without coconut oil since I was a kid. before if I went a day without coconut oil my hair would get poofy and frizzy, now if I go without coconut oil my hair doesnt poof up.
i've tried different products throughout my pregnancy, different methods, scrunching, plopping, twirling it around my fingers, nothing has helped except henna but that only lasts the day I wash the henna out. the next day it falls flat

Sweetness
January 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I really don't know then, sorry :(

Hope someone can help you out and find your curls again

ps. My mom was very strait after giving birth, but she got back to her very curly self with time... if that's an encouragement (:

talecon
January 27th, 2010, 08:23 PM
oh its ok, I've been trying to embrace my new wavy hair lately and try to deal with it though no one seems to like it, looks like I have no choice. :P
does anyone have any wavy hair tips?, like what to do, what not to do, I know all about curly hair, comb with a wide tooth comb, dont pile your hair ontop of your head after you get out of the shower, use a leave-in conditioner, its seems like now all those rules don't apply...

lapushka
January 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I think you're a curly, not a wavy, and that your curl pattern is pretty tight. I'd say 3b or c.

From the sight of it now, I'm guessing your hair could do with some much needed TLC; it kind of looks like it could use more moisture. Maybe try DTs or SMT.

blueroses79
January 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
oh its ok, I've been trying to embrace my new wavy hair lately and try to deal with it though no one seems to like it, looks like I have no choice. :P
does anyone have any wavy hair tips?, like what to do, what not to do, I know all about curly hair, comb with a wide tooth comb, dont pile your hair ontop of your head after you get out of the shower, use a leave-in conditioner, its seems like now all those rules don't apply...
The CG suggestions for wavy hair are pretty much exactly the same as for curly--except occasionally low 'poo-ing. You might consider using some aloe gel to hold the curl, too, if you're not already.

Gabriel
January 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Have you tried a different oil? Maybe as your hair texture has changed a little so has how it responds to coconut oil. Maybe a clarifying to start over and experiment with a lighter oil followed by some aloe gel?

I have no where near curly hair and my waves are ocean wave size instead of like nice ripples so my advice might be moot, but coconut does make my hair less wavy where jojoba seems to encourage a bit more wave.

Some curlies also get stretched into wavies as their hair grows longer and the weight becomes heavier.

xoxophelia
January 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
In your last picture I think you texture looks pretty consistent. In the earlier (red) ones, it looks less so as if you had your hair up? Did you?

Pretty much what other people have said though.. don't touch your hair while it is wet. You could try plopping as well. I haven't myself but I hear it help define curls or waves a lot.

teela1978
January 29th, 2010, 05:01 PM
You've dyed your hair quite a bit right (it looks like from very dark brown/black to bleached purple)? I would guess that the bleach damage has caused a change in the curl more than any hormones. There is an article on treating damaged hair, I'd probably start there.