PDA

View Full Version : Questions about tools and such

dmitri
January 26th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Ok. So I'm growing my hair out This will be the first time I've ever let it get past my shoulders (in the past I've either chickened out, or had certain pressures like family or a theater role). So I want to do it right. I want some advice (basically, is there something I'm doing wrong? And what are some alternatives if I am?)

So, I guess the first thing is to tell you everything i'm currently using:

Washing:
I wash every night before I go to bed. But for most of the week, I only use water and massage my scalp. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights, I use Johnson's No More Tangles baby shampoo (which I chose because it's cheap and doesn't contain SLS) primarily on my scalp. On shampoo nights, I use a drop or two of jojoba oil on the lower portion of my hair as a sort of leave-in conditioner. I also have a habit of running a comb through my still damp hair after patting it dry with a towel. But I'll get to that in a minute. And then I go to sleep (or at least to bed), with wet hair. In case you're wondering, my pillow cases are ordinary cotton.

Tools:
Round boar bristle brush - It's probably not the greatest; I got it from Target a few years ago for less than 10 dollars. I don't use it very often, because my hair tends to be wet when I'm trying to tame it. But I will say it is MUCH gentler than the same shape of nylon bristle brush I had used previously. When I do use it, I love it.

Detangling Comb - And this one I have no doubt is horrible. Its best feature is that it is a wide-toothed comb (this is the one I run through my hair after showering, and also in the mornings). But... It's plastic. And it has seams galore. I do like the shape though; it has a handle.

Morning Routine:
Nothing much to it. I wake up and my hair usually looks really messy and frizzy (I'll take a picture one day). So I wet it with water from a spray bottle, and run my detangling comb through it a few times. Sometimes the result is great, other days it only looks marginally better. But it tends to work itself out during the day (probably with some help of absent-minded finger combing).

So... the biggest problem (that I'm aware of) is the plastic comb. I've heard that wood, horn, and bone (bohn) combs are recommended, but the selection is a bit overwhelming. First of all, is any material better that the other, or is it simply a matter of preference? Can wooden combs get wet? And which shape do I get? For example, I was looking at this site for bohn. http://www.hairsense.com/blackbonecombs.htm
The teeth of the palm pic or volume combs look most like the comb I currently use. But they call the other combs "detangling." :confused: And, perhaps most importantly, where is a reputable supplier?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--D

Merewen
January 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
As far as the comb goes, wide tooth is good. As for material, it seems to be a matter of preference. Click around and see what people with your hairtype like. I personally use bone since I use it in the shower (horn and wood can warp if you get them wet)

LadyVictoria
January 26th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I have a plastic wide tooth comb that I adore because the handle is hook shaped so I can hang it in the shower or on a cabinet door. What I did was take one of my fingernail files & filed all the seams away. Now it is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Kaijah
January 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM
All I can think to suggest for your wash routine is maybe putting some conditioner or lots of oil on the length/ends of your hair to protect it from shampoo run off. If jojoba oil is the only thing you usually leave in, I doubt you'll get build up often enough to need shampoo all over the ends. :)

I've bought from Hairsense! They're awesome combs, very smooth. You can order directly from that website you linked, and they carry a few styles of their combs on eBay (http://stores.ebay.com/Salon-Accessories-Inc_hand-made-combs_W0QQ_fsubZ2QQ_sidZ12127005QQ_trksidZp4634Q2e c0Q2em322). I ended up ordering on eBay since it was a little cheaper. I got the new model detangler (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-model-Detangler-Hand-Made-Bone-Combs-Black-new_W0QQitemZ380133161778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item5881b3bb32) (I don't think they have this one listed on their main site, for some reason) and the detangler rake (http://cgi.ebay.com/Prof-Detangler-Hand-Made-Bone-Comb-new-seamless-comb_W0QQitemZ380199503217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5885a80571) (#206s on the website). I think the Volume comb (#210) is most similar to the new model detangler, just it's longer. I've heard a lot of good things about the super detangler (http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Detangler-Hand-Made-Bone-Comb-new_W0QQitemZ380189345309QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item58850d061d) (#222) as well, though I haven't gotten one.

I've never had a problem with mine warping or anything from getting wet, but I always make sure to wipe them off with a towel if they get damp.

dmitri
January 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks,

I guess I'll try upping my jojoba use slightly. Which means finding that delicate balance between "perfectly moist" and "oilslick." :P The information on comb materials helped. My bathroom is pretty small, and I'm pretty sure any comb I have would get wet even with caution. So, bohn it is! And that New Model Detangler looks great! (on closer inspection, I'd say it seems identical to the Palm Pic on the Hair Sense page, just a different name) Oh well, I was eyeing that one anyway.

--D