PDA

View Full Version : Can You Dye After Henna???

Gvnagitlvgei
January 25th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I want to use a Bigen or Bigen-like product which is a professional powder dye...no ammonia. Would that be okay? I need to know soon.

Sabayon
January 25th, 2010, 11:56 PM
If you are sure your henna is pure it should be no problem. I have switched back and forth between henna and chemical (including permanent/ ammonia based) dye for ages. If you are not completely sure about the quality of your henna do a patch test first. Some hennas (although none I've come across) are adulterated with metallic salts that react with chemical dyes to do awful things to your hair.

Gvnagitlvgei
January 26th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info. It's pure henna. Only problem, I'm using one of the powdered dyes and I'm concerned that it will make the hair feel coated more than the henna. Have you found this to be the case?

Messyhair
January 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hmm... I have no idea about powdered dye, but I have dyed over henna no problem. Pure henna, that is, like the previous poster mentioned. I did find that the dye washed out quickly, but that's probably because it was a semi and I'm used to using permanents (which also wash out easily on me).

chickpea
January 31st, 2010, 10:23 AM
If you are sure your henna is pure it should be no problem. I have switched back and forth between henna and chemical (including permanent/ ammonia based) dye for ages. If you are not completely sure about the quality of your henna do a patch test first. Some hennas (although none I've come across) are adulterated with metallic salts that react with chemical dyes to do awful things to your hair.

I have also gone back and forth between henna/indigo and semi permanent dyes without any problem. Occasionally I run out of henna or indigo, and use chemical dye to touch up the new growth until I can order more supplies.

Gvnagitlvgei, some chemical dyes can also contain metallic salts although this is rare these days.

http://www.keratin.com/ai/ai020.shtml

Peisinoe
August 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I was thinking of going back to chemical reds to get a lighter tone. First I'm gonna try a cassia/henna blend, but if that doesn't work, it is good to know that chemical dyes won't make my hair turn a strange colour!! I really wouldn't want to wait another few years to grow everything out...

trinc
August 5th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I want to use a Bigen or Bigen-like product which is a professional powder dye...no ammonia. Would that be okay? I need to know soon.

just a very curious question - is your picture below the post dyed with henna?? it seems perfectly cool for me... not henna red?