PDA

View Full Version : Scalp sugar scrub?

klcqtee
January 25th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I've been having scalp issues. It seems like cradle cap to me. Constantly dandruff-y (even right after washing), and when my head isn't flaking, looking at my scalp I can see all kinds of scales where the skin is just waiting to fall off. Plus I get some pretty nasty sebum build up that looks like dandruff when I scratch my head (with my finger tips, not nails, mind you). Plus it itches more than normal.

I've read about people using sugar scrubs on their face to exfoliate, and I was curious if this would be alright to try for my scalp, or if I just need to leave my head alone, suck it up, and wait for it to stop whatever it's doing.

For the last 2 or 3 months I've been cone free, sls/als free, and there have been no changes to my diet, life style, or weather/climate. I'm less stressed (no more finals), and all in all, doing alright, so I'm not sure WHY this is happening.

Will trying out the scrub make my head an oily over producing mess, causing my hair to turn bright orange and fall out ( :p ), or just make my scalp raw and itchy? Anyone else tried this, or have any other suggestions?

TIA!

SunshineHair
January 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I hear a lot that Head & Shoulders does great for flakes! I remember it smelling awesome also!! If this isnt good advice I hope you get some :)

For whatever reason, I cannot stand the thought of sugar touching wet hands 'shivers'

teela1978
January 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Sugar scrubs for the scalp are fine. You can mix it in with some conditioner and rub it right in.

If that doesn't work... I wonder, did you have this problem before you went sls free? Perhaps a return to the sulfates, and then occasional clarifying shampoos on your scalp (weekly or monthly) would help to ban whatever you have going on up there.

ZaBasDa
January 26th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have a really bad flare up that isn't going away right now. A few times I have used a sugar scrub to try and fix it. I have very greasy hair, so I don't know if this made it worse. This was a nice exfoliation for my scalp; but it was very easy to over-exfoliate, which is rather painful.
I had better results with shampoos with selenium sulfide, coal tar, or ketoconazole in them.

julliams
January 26th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Have you tried olive oil? My itchy scalp was from being overdry and some olive oil on the tips of my fingers and massaging into my scalp did wonders. I felt the itching stopped almost immediately.

Juliette

klcqtee
January 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
SunshineHair: I tried head and shoulders, and while it was great for the flakes and general itching, it made my hair REALLY dry. Although it kept the flakes to a minimum, it made my hair get more oily than usual.

Teela: Hm, that's a thought. I know the flaking was worse with the SLS/ALS, but the itching wasn't as bad...I may try and start washing with it again every couple weeks. I like the idea of the sugar scrub with conditioner.

ZaBasDa: I think I'll try the sugar scrub, and just be really careful to not over do it, thanks!

Julliams: I think maybe I'll try the scrub with olive oil. Extra conditioning PLUS I get my scrub. Thanks for the suggestion. If the scrub proves to harsh, hopefully the olive oil will be enough on it's own.

pepperedmoth
January 26th, 2010, 06:40 PM
All I can say is that scalp sugar scrubs work like a charm for me, with similar issues!

klcqtee
January 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
For anyone curious: the scalp wash worked pretty well. I was worried about too much scrubbing, so I don't think I did it well enough. Where I scrubbed, it worked really well, but where I didn't scrub, I can obviously tell the difference.

Thanks for all the input!