PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about shedding

Beets
January 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I see people talking about going through sheds as if they were phases. Do most people have them? Do you for sure notice one if you're having one? And then does your hair just grow back as usual when it's done?

I was in a car accident when I was 17 and got whiplash. Within hours, when I took a shower, gobs and gobs of hair came out at the back of my head, exactly where my spinal chord met my skull. I'm not certain, but I don't think I ever truly regained my thickness back there.

And right now, I feel like I lose less hair than I have at any other time of my life. What does that mean?

Thanks for your thoughts.

hydrangea
January 26th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I do believe stress can contribute to hair loss, as can damage of course. I noticed major shedding about a month after I started my new nursing job in May. Every day before work I would get so nervous...that I'd make a mistake- administer the wrong med or the wrong amount of a drug and cause serious damage, death even...or someone would fall during my care and end up with a brain hemorrhage, etc...(I am the queen of anxiety/worry) Now I'm 7 months into my job, feeling more confident and less stressed and I have almost completely stopped shedding. I also have started using a leave in treatment post wash called redkin anti-snap, which has also been a tremendous help. Are you under a lot of stress at the moment?

ravenreed
January 26th, 2010, 09:06 AM
I lost a good amount of hair when I had my sons, probably a third of my hair. I have noticed that about every 6.5 to 7 years since the last baby, I have an "anniversary shed." It is really, really annoying since I have to put up with the halo of baby hairs for quite some time. The first time I freaked, but by the second I had figured it out. I am due again in 3 years. After my pregnancies, I did notice my hair was not quite as thick as it was before them, but I have not had a decrease in thickness with the last two major sheds.

Other than that, I stopped shedding so much when I gave up SLS shampoo. Every shower I would have a clump in my tub.