PDA

View Full Version : No Filipino hairstyles???

Dementia1013
January 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I was fiddling around with trying to modernize a geisha hair fold and came up with this.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc224/Dementia1013/IMG_1159.jpg

And I got to thinking. 'What are some traditional Filipino hairstyles?' I am filipino after all and it seemed just a touch silly that I'd never tried to find any Filipino styles.

I googled 'traditional filipino hairstyles'for what felt like an eternity to no avail. Finally I called up my mother at work and asked her if she knew of any traditional hairstyles that I could look up. She calmly said 'Filipino's copy americans' o_0

I sat there shocked for a while then asked again. Surely there was some kind of traditional or ceremonial hairstyle from before we knew about america. To this she said 'bun'

I don't know why, but this really bugged me. So I implore you. Any fellow Filipino's here know of anything? You hear of korean hairstyles and chinese styles and japanese styles. Surely there has to be something that the filipino's can claim right???

:(

Please, does anybody know anything? or have a link to anything??

Wicked Princess
January 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I'm half Filipino, on my mother's side. I'm not overly in-touch with modern Filipino culture, but I know a bit about the history. Hairstyles isn't really anything I've heard of, specifically...I do remember seeing versions of a folded bun, higher on the head...but it was fairly plain. It was the headdress, hair combs, bun cages and veils that drew your attention to some traditional looks...at least as far as museum displays and older artwork was concerned. :o So perhaps it wasn't so much the hair style as much as the hair toys that were the focus!

The Philippines seems to have a history of adopting the traits of many of those they come into contact with. They adopted much of what came with Spanish rulership in the later 16th, early 17th century...so some of the artwork you see from that time has slightly-to-overly Spanish overtones.

Note: I'm so not an expert in the Philippines, so please, someone correct me if I'm horribly wrong! This is just what I remember from my brief time there, from learning the history of the country, and what my family has mentioned over the years!

Fractalsofhair
January 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Based on a friend of mine who has is Filipino and has photos of his grandparents, I think the common style at one point was a low bun, plain and at the back of the head. To be honest, that was the style that my great grandparents in America in the same era also wore, so IDK if it was just the common style for a lot of women, or a fashionable thing then.

manderly
January 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm not Filipino, but I live in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, which is like Little Philipines, USA. :lol: Heck, we used to have company meetings at the Filipino Culuture and Convention Center down the road from my house!

That being said, it's one of the few races that I've met in the melting pot that is Hawaii that I've never seen any traditional hair.

I mean, there are some people who come new to Hawaii and you can immediately tell where they came from based on how their hair is styled.

During cultural celebrations and days here (we have em all, Tonga, Samoa, China, Japan, Micronesia, etc) I've seen some traditional dress, lots of traditional food, but nothing of note in the hair department, usually just a low cinabun type bun. :shrug:

Dementia1013
January 25th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. Though, I still have to say that it bums me out. :(

I guess I'll have to embrace other cultures hairwise. lol.

SHELIAANN1969
January 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I did a google search and came up with a video on ehow that shows hair done with pearls in the beginning, but they are really showing a traditional dance.

The lady describing the hairstyle said it was a (Pinalo) (Pinoylo) (?) and she said that the hair is twisted to the left. It looks like a high, tight, bun.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4935901_filipino-dancing-hairstyles.html

I am searching for more, but I wanted to post this link.

Xandergrammy
January 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I've only known one Filipino, who was my 1st husband's first wife. She had hair that was longer than she was tall and she usually wore it loose. She had the most awesome hair I've ever seen in real life. (I know this is no help to you, but I just thought I'd share. :flowers: )

enfys
January 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM
If it's any consolation I can't think of a single British style. I mean, we can hardly claim the English braid as ours!

And I very much lke the Geisha fold and would love it if you'd share how you did that!

Beets
January 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I just googled "pre colonial philippines," went right to the images page, and got some interesting hits on the first two pages.

And by the way, YOUR updo is really sweet. I bet it looks great from the front, too, which is my favorite feature of updos!

cmnt831
January 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'm really no help, except to mention that I used to know a Philippino lady who had beautiful knee length hair that she would wear in something like a figure 8 on the back of her head. The top of the 8 was up towards the crown of her head and the bottom of the 8 at the nape of her neck. I thought it very striking.

I think your updo is great and I love the color!

GlassEyes
January 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM
If it's any consolation I can't think of a single British style. I mean, we can hardly claim the English braid as ours!

And I very much lke the Geisha fold and would love it if you'd share how you did that!
I'd think of a lot of the Victorian styles as being English in origin, to be honest. :shrug: Probably not ORIGINALLY, but eh, there's only so much originality with traditional hairstyles--mos tinnovation seems to come from the hair toys and dressings.

Dementia1013
January 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much. :D My hair is sitting in coconut oil right now, but I'll post a tutorial vid in a day or so. :cheese: