PDA

View Full Version : Sort of confused...a few questions!

AnitaThorn
January 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
So, are you really not supposed to brush your hair at all? I use a BBB because I had heard from several sources that it's good for distributing oils from your scalp to the ends.

Also, are you not supposed to comb it wet? I usually use a wide-toothed comb on it after I shower, but if it's not good for it, then maybe I shouldn't... :/ I always thought that if you didn't comb it out when it's wet, it will turn into dreadlocks, which are cool, but definitely not for me, haha!

Another thing, not related to brushing, but still hair-related... I have a lot of trouble trying to french braid and dutch braid, but not because I don't understand the concept. My hair sort of...sticks together. It's not sticky or anything, but it has a hard time separating into sections...the only braid I can really do are two on the sides. Whenever I do try a french braid, hairs that are sticking to the section I'm working on will get tangled up in the folds and I'll end up having to try again or give up completely. I do brush it out before I braid. What's going on here? How do I keep this from happening? I have no idea if this is making sense, I'll try to explain it better if you need me to...:o

I know everyone has different hair routines, but I don't want to end up messing my hair up when I'm trying so hard to keep it healthy! :D

AbruptlyWanderi
January 25th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Mostly it depends on your hair type. You should be fine using a BBB, or just a regular brush, and same with combing it after a shower... :)

AnitaThorn
January 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Mostly it depends on your hair type. You should be fine using a BBB, or just a regular brush, and same with combing it after a shower... :)

Okay, thanks. :) There seems to be so much advice out there, which is good, but it's sometimes contradictory, you know?

Merewen
January 25th, 2010, 05:44 PM
BBBs are great for distributing oils. I don't use one mainly because it would make my hair poof something awful.

As for combing after a shower, wet hair is more fragile so you have to be careful. A lot of people (particularly curlies) do this, though, many of them while their hair is still covered in conditioner. It's what I do.

FrannyG
January 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM
First of all, hello and welcome, AnitaThorn! :waving:

Some people do not brush their hair here, but many do. The important thing is to make sure that your hair is dry and detangled before brushing. If you use a bit of oil, brushing helps to distribute it. There's just no need to overdo.

It's true that hair should not be combed when wet, as it becomes elastic when wet and if you stretch out hairs and they dry that way, they become weak. When your hair is almost dry, finger comb your hair to lightly remove tangles, and then use a seamless wide toothed comb to finish it off. Comb from the bottom and work your way up.

As to your braiding problem, I'm wondering if you may need to clarify your hair. My hair only gets hard to braid when it's time to clarify. It especially happened when my hair was your length or slightly longer. There are a lot of threads here on clarifying your hair, if you do a search.

Happy growing! :blossom:

AnitaThorn
January 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
BBBs are great for distributing oils. I don't use one mainly because it would make my hair poof something awful.

As for combing after a shower, wet hair is more fragile so you have to be careful. A lot of people (particularly curlies) do this, though, many of them while their hair is still covered in conditioner. It's what I do.

Yeah, I usually finger comb it in the shower when there is conditioner on it. I try to bring the comb in the shower with me, but I almost always forget. :p Maybe wrapping up my hair after I shower is making it somewhat tangly when it's wet...so maybe I shouldn't do that?

AnitaThorn
January 25th, 2010, 06:00 PM
First of all, hello and welcome, AnitaThorn! :waving:

Some people do not brush their hair here, but many do. The important thing is to make sure that your hair is dry and detangled before brushing. If you use a bit of oil, brushing helps to distribute it. There's just no need to overdo.

It's true that hair should not be combed when wet, as it becomes elastic when wet and if you stretch out hairs and they dry that way, they become weak. When your hair is almost dry, finger comb your hair to lightly remove tangles, and then use a seamless wide toothed comb to finish it off. Comb from the bottom and work your way up.

As to your braiding problem, I'm wondering if you may need to clarify your hair. My hair only gets hard to braid when it's time to clarify. It especially happened when my hair was your length or slightly longer. There are a lot of threads here on clarifying your hair, if you do a search.

Happy growing! :blossom:

Thank you for the welcome!

Wow, that's a lot of very good advice! I do try to be very gentle with my hair, but it looks like I can stand to my gentler. :)

Okay, I will look for clarifying threads. Thanks again!