View Full Version : Tell me about clarifying!

Felix_D
January 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM
How often do you all larify? What do you use?

I'm still weening myself off of daily SLS washes, and am down to 1/week with a non-SLS shampoo, and daily conditionering.

I've noticed a few of you have a bad day, go crazy and wash and dry and curl and straighten and then it looks surprisingly better from all the abuse. Then someone says, you needed a cleanse, it was only the wash that helped.

So, how do you know if you need that wash?

I've gone through the articles, and didn't see an answer, so sorry if it's a re-post.

Elphie
January 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I know I need to clarify based upon how my hair feels. When my ends feel velcro-y or they stick together, I clarify. I usually do it about once a month. Sometimes I do it based upon what products I've been using.

Cholera
January 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I clarify every time I have non-water-soluble 'cones in my hair. A couple weeks ago, though, I noticed my ends were incredibly dry and straw-like. I couldn't figure out what was going on! I was seriously freaking out, but I decided to clarify just to get it out of the way and say I did it.. and wa-lah! My hair was soft and my ends were bendy again. It's really just a matter of figuring out when you need to clarify. Good luck!

rosyaddie
January 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I clarify about once a week because I'm such a cone-lover. :)

Madame J
January 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I clarify when my hair starts feeling kind of heavy and coated even right after I wash, or when it feels like my normal washing method doesn't get my hair as clean as usual. I use shampoo bars, so the castor oil can build up. Since I don't use silicones, I don't need sulfate detergents, so to clarify I use a Tbsp. of Dr. Bronner's magic soap (castor-oil-free) and a Tbsp. of baking soda, diluted in 4-8oz. of warm water. That gives me two generous lathers. I lather twice, rinse well, and then rinse with something acidic, either diluted ACV, or Dr. Bronner's conditioning rinse (since it counteracts the drying nature of the wash).

I did it this weekend, and my hair still feels clean, 3 days later. And, most likely, my shampoo bars will work better when I use them again later this week.

Forever_Sophie
January 26th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Every other week, that's about when my hair starts to look dull from silicone build up. I'm using the VO5 Vanilla mint tea clarifying shampoo, love it :)

rosyaddie
January 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Oh! I forgot to add- I use the herbal essences degunkify shampoo. Smells nice, does it's job.... I don't see the point of spending money on clarifying shampoo, because all it is supposed to do is strip the crap outta your hair.