PDA

View Full Version : Blog drafts

aisling
March 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I found this function to be really perfect for me, to be able to compose an entry in stages is really what I need. My first draft was saved well and I could edit it, but then I met a small problem. I couldn't for my life figure out how to finally post the entry, the only alternatives I saw under the window where I'd edited my draft was "Save" and "Preview", no post or publish now or so. I finally ended up doing a copy-paste job to be able to publish my entry.

Now, my question, does anybody know where I should look, what I'm doing wrong or have any tips? I did read the FAQ but I can't really find any Publish now option after having edited a saved draft.

ETA: OK, I'm officially an idiot, of course the Publish now is there if I only scroll down a little more and click on the drop down menus. Feel free to delete this thread :)

Delila
March 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
No! Don't delete this thread! I'm sorry you struggled, but glad you shared the solution to the mystery.

I haven't started a blog yet, mostly because the site has so many bells and whistles that I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Reading the site support threads has really taught me a lot.

Raederle
March 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I, too, was confused with the draft function, though I'm a fan of the idea. I was so frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to post it, and fortunately kept trying.

Once you're done editing the draft, if you look all the way down you'll see the option to Publish. You can even set it to publish on a specific date.

Amoretti
March 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Oh! So that's how you do it! LOL. I was going nuts!

biggeorge
March 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Drafts? Hmmmm . . . . . http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/e136.gif

PseudoScot
October 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Bumping because this just helped me and others might need to see it!

30isthenewblack
October 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I found this function to be really perfect for me, to be able to compose an entry in stages is really what I need. My first draft was saved well and I could edit it, but then I met a small problem. I couldn't for my life figure out how to finally post the entry, the only alternatives I saw under the window where I'd edited my draft was "Save" and "Preview", no post or publish now or so. I finally ended up doing a copy-paste job to be able to publish my entry.

Now, my question, does anybody know where I should look, what I'm doing wrong or have any tips? I did read the FAQ but I can't really find any Publish now option after having edited a saved draft.

ETA: OK, I'm officially an idiot, of course the Publish now is there if I only scroll down a little more and click on the drop down menus. Feel free to delete this thread :)

This is a good question. I couldn't work it out so I copied and pasted the whole thing into a new post. Now I know how to publish a draft thanks to you :)

Rae~
October 17th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I just wish we could have more than only three..... that's nothing! :lol:

HairyCarrie
October 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I too used the draft option for my first entry in my new blog and also got real confused how to publish. I didn't know where the entry stood, so I went to the blog list and found the draft entry appearing on the "Find more..." page. That's the page that shows entries one after another in chronological sequence by all the LHC users. My blog however, didn't show up on the "Today" daily list where you select blogs individually.

I knew it was still considered "draft" because it had a little icon in the upper right hand corner. I did another test entry today and there it sits in it's uncompleted form. Access to my blog always shows the draft entry although the blog does not increase the entry counter to include the draft. I would have thought drafts would be out of sight to the community until I say to Publish the entry.

Here's more confusion:

The 3 choices for Publish Status: say

Draft Blog Entry (which is probably why mine is showing up?)
Publish On (for a future date or time)
Publish Now (which is what I finally selected to get my first draft as a realtime entry).

So, I figured my draft is showing up because I had "Draft Blog Entry" set although I don't know what else I would have chosen. I changed it to Publish On which brought a new set of options. When I try to set it for a future date or time, I get the message

The following errors occurred with your submission:
Published entries can not be set to a future date.

I'm sort of caught in a Catch-22 because it originally got "published" in my blog though marked as a draft. Is this a bug, or just that I don't know how to work it out... Can someone explain it more comprehensively. I see such value for "drafts" for me, as long as they remain hidden, but I'm truly lost ...:(

Thanks so much!

Raederle
October 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure the draft entry shows for you only because you are the author. The members here will not see the blog entry until you publish it.

ETA: I only see one blog entry for you.

HairyCarrie
October 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I wondered if that was the case as well. I couldn't verify it because if I log out I won't be able to see blogs anyway as an unregistered, less than 50 post user. :)

So, next question... how does the Publish On feature work? Why was I getting an error message?

TIA, Carrie.

Presto
October 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I used the "publish on" feature to store a useful post I put in someone else's blog. I published it on April 6th, even though I wrote it earlier this week. That way, it is stored in my blogs, but doesn't come up as new. I just seemed like a handy way to store some information I might use again someday on the board without attracting too much attention to a disjointed post.