PDA

View Full Version : MSM? Any information please?

MimiKeki
January 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hey guys :eyebrows: (creepy..)

I hope I'm posting in the right place. Can anybody tell me about MSM, their experiences with it?

How did it affect your hair growth/thickness/condition?
I'm in the UK, and I was looking at the Holland&Barrett website, and it appears that it's a supplement for joints??

Any side-effects I should know about?
Eventually, I want to try Monistat, but I want to give this a chance first, 'cause it's easier for me to get a hold of.

ANY info is greatly appreciated :p

missjessiecakes
January 25th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hellooo there

Lets see I havent noticed any advanced growth but I have noticed less fall out. I seriously only shed like 20 hairs a day. But I also take biotin. Glucosomine is in mine I dont know if that does anything to it. But I originally started taking it for my joints. Some people notice abnormalities in their period. Thats it I think.

redneckprincess
January 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
ive only been taking it just over a month and I can say my hair looks thicker ..(check out my once a week album) and my hair has grown a full inch since christmas

jera
January 25th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I take 500 mg a day with no side effects. Some people report weight gain, nightmares and other nasties. I think it depends on how much you take. :)

vidgrl007
January 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I took msm and it was great for energy and made my hair shiny.The only problem was my hair didn't grow when I took it so I quit taking it.

Roseate
January 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I've been taking it for almost a year now and have noticed no side effects, but also no effects on my hair. I take 1000mg/day and will probably stop at the one year mark.

MandyBeth
January 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm on 60 grams a day - and yes, I mean 60 grams. That's when it reduces my feeling of joint swelling. I'm also on 8 mg of Biotin a day and 1 spoonful of DE a day. All for reasons outside of my hair. I can't say I think my hair grows quickly at all, but these have all been long term use items - MSM for more than 10 years now, Biotin was started ummm 8? years ago, I can't remember for sure, and DE was just over 4 years ago.

However, I refuse to stop any of these unless my doctors tell me to. I take huge doses of MSM and Biotin because simply - that's what my crazy system that likes to malfunction needs. I feel safer taking that much MSM (which is well under the LD50 for it - that'd be about 1,000 grams for me) than taking how much pain medication I'd have to be taking otherwise which have very nasty side effects.

Umm, side effects.... Some reports of GI issues - seems to be the biggest and only if you make a major jump in dose or if you take too much at one time (I take 15g 4x a day). Ummm, I last increased about a year ago, I feel kind of "bubbly" headed at first, I don't know how to describe it. It's like a headache that doesn't quite form I guess.

Umm, most of the nasty reports - like the garlicy smell and the increase risk of toxicity I've seen are usually tied with DSMO use, not MSM use.