PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Curly stylist in NYC

DrkAngel
January 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I've checked NC.com's recommendations but there are waaay too many, no prices mentioned (most of the time) and there is no way to know what kind of curly head is recommending what unless you go to each and every single profile. Oh well, I guess that's why I rarely ever check that website. I always come here for information.

So, that said, anybody in New York City knows of any good curly stylists or salon they would recommend where they could layer my tailbone length fine 3a/b hair? I would prefer to do the dry cut (deva cut or whatever they call it) even though I've been to Devachan before I didn't love the results. The lady who cut it did nothing like I asked for (what's more, she actually told me she couldn't do layers without cutting half of my length off) and she didn't really cut it dry since she kept misting and misting while cutting. I dunno, this time I really don't feel like spending that much (around $130, she was a senior stylist) to get that same thing done. I would like to pay under $100 if possible, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you very much in advance my fellow LHCers.

OleanderTime
January 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I'm sure this would probably be pretty expensive, but I know that NYC is a sort of curly hair Mecca since Lorraine Massey (author of "Curly Girl") works in a curls specialty salon there: http://devachansalon.com/

Here's the link to her bio: http://devachansalon.com/about/staff#lorraine

bumblebums
January 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I can tell you lots of places not to go :)

I got some decent results searching Yelp (http://yelp.com) for "curly hair salon".

DrkAngel
January 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
LOL bumblebums... i'll try Yelp then, but i'd still like to hear from LHC curlies to see if I could find the right place, or at least a decent one.

Oleandertime, I've already been to Devachan. Did not love it.

ericthegreat
January 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Well obviously since you are willing to spend A LOT of money for a good haircut, I'm not going to recommend to you to save your money and go to a men's barbershop or cheapo hair salon.

As a fellow NYorker, I've been to several good upscale salons. The one I loved the most is the John Frieda Salon on Madison Avenue and 68th Street. The service there is superb, the stylists there are very patient and will listen to everything you actually want for your hair. They also all have over 10 years of experience working with all kinds of hair textures, so you can literally be any kind of person, man or woman with any kind of hair length, color, natural texture imaginable and they will be able to recommend to you several different options with what you want done to your hair. They will definitely be able to deal with your curly, fine TB length hair trust me. :)

DrkAngel
January 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
thanks ericthegreat but John Frieda would be waaaaay out of my budget... I honestly don't care if it's a cheapo salon or if I have to pay $100 for it, as long as they KNOW how to cut it. Oh well... I'll keep looking and checking back here, maybe someone else pops in and can share their recommendations.