PDA

View Full Version : My problem with braiding.

Monkey962
January 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I love english braids. I enjoy doing them, and they're my gold standard for hairstyles. I would rather take them time to braid my hair, than to put it in a pony. As a result, I do them a lot. When I go to school, it's in a braid. When I go to work, it's in a braid. More often than not, if I go out with friends, it's also in a braid, but sometimes I'll just leave it down.

However, even though I have all this practice, my braids always have something wrong with them. Usually it's because I didn't detangle beforehand, or I did it in a rush. But as I sit typing this message, my hair is (of course) in a braid. Before I did that, I detangled all the way to the scalp, and then a put a lot of oil in it, which I then distributed with a brush. I took care to separate the three strands as evenly as possible, and I made it as snug as possible, but not tight. But it still pulls a little bit in some places. It's nowhere near as painful as it can be, but it's still annoying.

What am I doing wrong? Is anyone else disappointed by their own braiding abilities?

spidermom
January 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Some days I can whip a braid in without looking or thinking and it's fine, then the next day I can't accomplish a decent-looking, comfortable braid to save my life. It's a matter of touch, I think. I remind myself "do not pull against the scalp," and I think of folding each strand into place, which reminds me to do it without traction. It helps also to hold all the strands with one hand while I check out my progress in the mirror because if I pick up a few hairs out of turn, they are the hairs that pull. I'd rather find that out right away and start over then get to the end before I discover hairs are pulling.

manderly
January 24th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Have you checked out Dianyla's braid tutorial? (articles)

I too, suck at braiding. The only type I can do are side braids :silly:

Ravenwaves 88
January 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I used to hate braiding....but when I started braiding to where the braid is starting where a lowish pony tail would start, it helped with the pulling on my weird deeply sloped hairline in the back. Plus I tend to where is more loosely than most I suppose. I just need to grow out my pesky layers and the loose braid might actually endure most of the day I hope.

Ravenwaves 88
January 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I remind myself "do not pull against the scalp," and I think of folding each strand into place, which reminds me to do it without traction.

Oh Spidermom well put. Yes.....I also tend to do a folding move with it and I don't pull hard. (but like I said I like loose)

enfys
January 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
When starting off I don't hold it too close to my nape; I will have at least a fingers worth of slack. That stops any hairs pulling for me.

For it to be neat it's more important the length is tidy; the start isn't too important.

Monkey962
January 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Have you checked out Dianyla's braid tutorial? (articles)

I too, suck at braiding. The only type I can do are side braids :silly:

Do you have a link to her article? I looked all through the articles page and couldn't find it. :(

AnitaThorn
January 24th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I have a lot of trouble with braiding too, even if I de-tangle completely. The only time it looks alright and it's easy is when there's oil in it. I try to sleep in braids whenever possible, and I know no one's going to see it then, but it's my time to practice, and I usually feel frustrated. Also, my hair doesn't like separating when I do try to braid it or do other hairstyles, so that's an annoyance in itself. :/ I know I didn't help at all (sorry!), but I definitely feel ya.

Schefflera
January 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
When starting off I don't hold it too close to my nape; I will have at least a fingers worth of slack. That stops any hairs pulling for me.

For it to be neat it's more important the length is tidy; the start isn't too important.

Hrm. Actually, I've tried starting mine lower and it still seems to end up pulling as the braid moves around.

manderly
January 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Do you have a link to her article? I looked all through the articles page and couldn't find it. :(

Thought it was in the articles....here's an archive version of it.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652

Tornerose
January 25th, 2010, 03:36 AM
The Dianya-article really helped me conqueer braifing my own hair. I used to get weird twisting all over the place on my braids before, but after I saw this article, kust a couple of weeks ago, I've rally managed to braid my own hair :D Now, they're not yet pretty enough to show off, but they get better every time, as I learn approxinmately how much 1/3rd of my hair is

Before used to just space up 2 fingers at the neck and go from there.

JamieLeigh
January 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I try to dampen or oil my hair (mostly the latter) before braiding, and that way it looks and feels smoother. There is also less of the fuzziness throughout the day when I do this first. I don't know what to tell you about the pulling, my hair is pretty darn long but it's not very thick or heavy. :-/

khan
January 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
The 'Dianyla' braid is my favorite now. I use it every other day. I'd never seen that braid before. I live a sheltered life.