PDA

View Full Version : Hair snapping - protein deficiency, or?

annuscka
January 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Well, yes - my hair snaps very easily, and I'm starting to snap at it if we don't come to some sort of solution here.

It's likely not lack of moisture - it gets two heavy oilings a week (night before wash) and generally seems to be in good condition in that area (shiny, quite soft when not in post-braid wave state) after many months of moisturise treatments. But I never paid any attention, or much anyway, to protein, and think it might be catching up with me. Is it a sign of protein deficiency when the hair snaps very easily, and the split ends/white dots abound (they always did, but I think it snapped a bit less easily before)? I used to fear protein because it'd make the hair coarse and icky, but now it seems to be the opposite...

Any thoughts, and ideas for what to do if it indeed is protein? Take and egg or two and pour it over my head? :cool:

amoulixes
January 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
From what I understand, oiling doesn't actually moisturize, it helps keep moisture in. Maybe it's time for a few SMTs to balance it out?

spidermom
January 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM
You can buy conditioning treatments that contain both protein and moisture. I had a Joico K-Pak Reconstructor treatment at the hair styling salon yesterday, and my hair feels strong and silky; it's a good product. Of course I don't know what is available in your area, but it will probably have some version of the word "reconstructive" on the label.

gmdiaz
January 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I would think you still need more moisture.

I alternate between two Suave conditioners: Aloe & Water Lilly for moisture & Tropical Coconut for protein.

When my hair needs more moisture it snaps easily.

And when it stretches out but doesn't bounce back to straight. . .it needs more protein.

I think the trick, for me at least, is that neither conditioner is heavy. So you don't get a huge moisture kick or a huge overload of protein.

By alternating them, my hair comes close to being balanced and strong.

Then once a week, I do a DEEP moisturizing conditioner (my hair hates protein and rarely needs it). Aloe, honey and one of the two conditioners mentioned above. I leave it on for as long as I can sit still. . .an hour usually. And then rinse it out only.

Shampoo lightly the next day. . .with a very diluted mixture (1/2 teaspoon in 2 cups or more of water) . .and condition as usual.

Hope that helps.

annuscka
January 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Ah, there could indeed be time for some SMTs; I live in a dorm (in Germany, despite what my info says) - and have taken it slow with the bathroom-occupying and crazy routines, used to do one a week. Should probably get back to mixing (perhaps leave the cassia though, to not clog all drains ;) ).

Maybe I should chuck and egg into the SMT, to add some protein? (Usually have had conditioner/s and oils in that treatment). I'd rather do some concoction myself than buy a product; I stay away from cones and it seems impossible to find salon stuff without them. :)

ETA: You guys are so amazingly fast! =D I'll do a SMT first thing tomorrow, it's probably way overdue. Have done very heavy conditioning to make up for the lack of deep treatments (apart from the overnight oils), but it's probably not enough. No idea if my hair likes protein or not, so might experiment a bit.

Thanks!

gmdiaz
January 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Be careful about protein overload. . .it can cause your hair to get so brittle it breaks off.

Not that I am speaking from experience. *grrrrr*

I think if you protein overload, you can follow it up quick with moisture treatments and be okay. . .but I didn't know that at the time.

gmdiaz
January 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
You can buy conditioning treatments that contain both protein and moisture. I had a Joico K-Pak Reconstructor treatment at the hair styling salon yesterday, and my hair feels strong and silky; it's a good product. Of course I don't know what is available in your area, but it will probably have some version of the word "reconstructive" on the label.

I'd really like to try the Joico! Did you have a moisturizing treaatment or shampoo and conditioner? Wonder what product I should purchase specifically? Ideas?

annuscka
January 24th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Be careful about protein overload. . .it can cause your hair to get so brittle it breaks off.

Yeah, that's what I've always been afraid of, which is why I haven't tried any proteins at all, much. Might just do a few SMTs first and see if it changes anything...

gmdiaz
January 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, that's what I've always been afraid of, which is why I haven't tried any proteins at all, much. Might just do a few SMTs first and see if it changes anything...

That's what I'd do. . .then add in a LIGHT protein conditioner that you can use often, as needed.

Fiferstone
January 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
My hair stretches a great deal before it breaks (I've tested this on shed hairs), and I think I probably do need more protein, but have been afraid to take the plunge for fear of winding up with brittle straw. I'll have to save up a ball of shed hair to test this on to see if I am indeed protien-intolerant before I risk my hard-won hip-length locks. :).

spidermom
January 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'd really like to try the Joico! Did you have a moisturizing treaatment or shampoo and conditioner? Wonder what product I should purchase specifically? Ideas?

I had the deep treatment. My stylist applied it, bagged my hair, and put me under a hood dryer for heat.