PDA

View Full Version : Best Essential Oils for Hair Growth & Health

Sissy
January 23rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Which essential oils would you consider purchasing for hair growth, hair darkening, preventing hair thinning, and hair health in general?

I am asking because I'm getting ready to place an order at vitacost and have decided to purchase some essential oils.

I already own cedarwood and lemongrass although I'm not sure if lemongrass has any uses for the hair? I just used it to get rid of fruit flies a while back :)

First off, I've got some 100% emu oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil in my cart. They are not essential oils but they do say they are 100% pure and the prices were so cheap... I hope they're good?

The essential oils I'm considering buying are:
bay
rosemary
roman chamomile
red thyme
basil
ylang ylang

Please let me know if you have good or bad experiences with any of the above or if you have any other recommendations for me. I am especially interested in oils that will help with hair growth, hair darkening, preventing hair thinning and moisturizing and strengthening my dry/fine/brittle hair to prevent split ends.

I've also got some Evening Primrose Oil which is made for consumption and contains these other ingredients: Vitamin E and Quick-Sorb (ginger rhizome, amla fruit and capsicum fruit).
* do you think this one is anything I could use on my hair or should I forget it... it's almost $12 so I'm considering ditching it.

If anyone else is interested in essential oils vitacost seems to have very resonable prices on them :) I am looking forward to getting a few and making and interesting concoction for my hair :eyebrows:

Sabayon
January 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Carrot seed EO is supposed to promote hair growth and be great for the scalp. I use some in my hair oil and like it. Check out mountianroseherbs.com they have the best price on quality essential oils that I have seen anywhere.

sonng
January 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Rosemary and lavender. ;)

YoginiCelestial
January 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Rosemary and lavender. ;)

This makes me curious.
How would you distribute the essential oil such as rosemary onto your scalp? The bottles are so little, would you first use a couple of drops in a carrier oil, such as Sweet Almond Oil?
:confused:

Sissy
January 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
I was interested in the carrot seed EO but it was very expensive on vitacost. This grape seed oil (http://www.vitacost.com/Heritage-Products-Grapeseed-Oil/pd_section-pr#ProductReviews) is pretty inexpensive. What are grape seed oils uses for hair?

Also, can patchouli be used to sent hair mixes? Or is it a drying oil? I just like the smell of it :)

Gabriel
January 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
They've got a few jojoba's listed under their essential oils. I like jojoba - it's light weight on my hair and scalp.

Castor oil is listed under there too (is it essential? don't know heh...) and that is suppossed to darken/thicken/help grow hair.

I've used it on my eyebrows and lashes with good results anyway.

I usually get my oils from mountianroseherbs.com too though.

(slightly off topic) You could see if they have any nettle infused oils too. Nettle is suppossed to help with growing thicker hair and general hair health.

Sissy
January 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
They've got a few jojoba's listed under their essential oils. I like jojoba - it's light weight on my hair and scalp.

Castor oil is listed under there too (is it essential? don't know heh...) and that is suppossed to darken/thicken/help grow hair.

I've used it on my eyebrows and lashes with good results anyway.

I usually get my oils from mountianroseherbs.com too though.

(slightly off topic) You could see if they have any nettle infused oils too. Nettle is suppossed to help with growing thicker hair and general hair health.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have castor oil and love it.

I will have to check mountainroseherbs.com prices but I may end up sticking with vitacost unless it's cheaper because I'm already placing an order with vitacost for some conditioners and soaps.

Nettle oil is a good idea. I was able to find this one (http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answer-Alcohol-Free-Nettle-Leaf-Extract)
it seems to be the only alcohol free one. I'm thinking alcohol would be a bad idea as it could dry the hair? This nettle product seems to be for allergy relief so I'm not sure if it's the right one for hair.

AstrayStar
January 23rd, 2010, 08:32 PM
I don't have time to find it for you right now, but I had found a spreadsheet on Livejournal talking about different herbs/essential oil properties somewhere in here. The list like 20-30 different EOs. And they list all different kinds of info, it was a fabulous find that I use frequently!
http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo

HTH!

AstrayStar
January 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
I apologize for the double post again but took a quick look and found it for you. It wasn't very clear where to find it so --- Here is the link for you.
http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/58175.html

maliaraQs
January 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I do have castor oil and love it.

I will have to check mountainroseherbs.com prices but I may end up sticking with vitacost unless it's cheaper because I'm already placing an order with vitacost for some conditioners and soaps.

Nettle oil is a good idea. I was able to find this one (http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answer-Alcohol-Free-Nettle-Leaf-Extract)
it seems to be the only alcohol free one. I'm thinking alcohol would be a bad idea as it could dry the hair? This nettle product seems to be for allergy relief so I'm not sure if it's the right one for hair.

You can always simmer some nettles in water for an hour and then strain and use it for a rinse. Add a couple drops of your EO in it too. But nettles are good for hair. As is the rosemary and lavendar mentioned earlier. And be sure to always put your EOs into carrier oils since they can burn the skin if directly applied.

maliaraQs
January 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Forgot to add, if you can find nettle tea, drinking it is supposed to help both hair and skin too.

Spring
January 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
Are you guys using castor oil or Jamaican black castor oil for darkening the hair? I've been using castor oil as a pre-shampoo scalp treatment since the beginning of December and haven't noticed any darkening or thickening of my hair, but maybe this is too soon to notice a difference, however I love it as an antifungal on my scalp before I shampoo :).

Natalia
January 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Nettle oil is a good idea. I was able to find this one (http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answer-Alcohol-Free-Nettle-Leaf-Extract) it seems to be the only alcohol free one. I'm thinking alcohol would be a bad idea as it could dry the hair? This nettle product seems to be for allergy relief so I'm not sure if it's the right one for hair.

Just a note as i have that product and do use it for allergies and its not an oil. Its a concentrated "extract" (i beleive tiniture is the correct word though) with glycerine. Its perfectly fine to add to hair but im not sure it will blend that well in an oil because of the glycerine content. If you do try it though alcohol free is the way to go if your adding it to a rinse or conditioner becasue they are generally 50 - 70% alcohol. Good luck!

Fayjoi
January 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I apologize for the double post again but took a quick look and found it for you. It wasn't very clear where to find it so --- Here is the link for you.

Thanks for the great link! I have a few EO's here and herbs to make a herbal tearinse. I will print it out right away :D

Sissy
January 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks so much for the link :) I am printing it right now.

Sissy
January 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Just a note as i have that product and do use it for allergies and its not an oil. Its a concentrated "extract" (i beleive tiniture is the correct word though) with glycerine. Its perfectly fine to add to hair but im not sure it will blend that well in an oil because of the glycerine content. If you do try it though alcohol free is the way to go if your adding it to a rinse or conditioner becasue they are generally 50 - 70% alcohol. Good luck!

Thank you for the info. I am probably going to pass on it for now as I have so many other oils and things picked out and the bill is getting to high!!!

Are you guys using castor oil or Jamaican black castor oil for darkening the hair? I've been using castor oil as a pre-shampoo scalp treatment since the beginning of December and haven't noticed any darkening or thickening of my hair, but maybe this is too soon to notice a difference, however I love it as an antifungal on my scalp before I shampoo :).

I am using plain old castor oil from the pharmacy. I have never heard of Jamaican Black Castor Oil. What's it like?

Katze
January 24th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Just a reminder that essential oils are different from carrier oils! Jojoba, castor, etc are carrier oils!

In all my years working with essential oils I have never found them to help my hair or scalp any. I used to put rosemary, cedar, etc on my scalp to help with dandruff and itching, but didn't find much of a difference.

I use castor oil to clean my face (mixed with coconut or wheat germ oils) and have never found that it does anything to my hair (or eyelashes or eyebrows). I usually take the extra oil and smear it on my nape hairs after showering when they get wet, but it only seems to moisturize and soften these coarser (M, 2c) hairs, not help them grow faster.

While there are always claims that essential oils help hair growth, I am personally very skeptical of such notions, having not ever seen them to do so in years' worth of trying.

AstrayStar
January 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Just a note as i have that product and do use it for allergies and its not an oil. Its a concentrated "extract" (i beleive tiniture is the correct word though) with glycerine. Its perfectly fine to add to hair but im not sure it will blend that well in an oil because of the glycerine content. If you do try it though alcohol free is the way to go if your adding it to a rinse or conditioner because they are generally 50 - 70% alcohol. Good luck!
Sorry for the tangent but I have to ask -
Is nettle supposed to be good for allergies? I have terrible horrible almost unbearable allergies and am developing resistance to allergy pills. I would love to hear how it helps.

Henna Sooq
January 24th, 2010, 08:46 AM
As far as essential oils go, they aren't supposed to be used directly on the skin/scalp. They need to be diluted, either into an herbal hair recipe, a spritzer, or another hair oil (base). They are just pretty potent and 100% pure.

Natalia
January 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Sorry for the tangent but I have to ask -
Is nettle supposed to be good for allergies? I have terrible horrible almost unbearable allergies and am developing resistance to allergy pills. I would love to hear how it helps.

Nettle has been really helpful to me. My accupuncturist reccomended it to me and im so happy he did! I used to take several benedryl a day and if it was bad i was taking 3 at a time several times in one day. The first nettle one he reccomened was a tablet but it had pineapple in it andthat upset my stomach so i switched to the glycerite. If your more interested in tablets i think it was called springboard D-Hist Jr. but it comes in adult strength.

My allergies are mostly sneezy, runny nose, and a horrible horrrible post nasal drip that causes alot of coughing and pain. Nettle helps balance me outmore than dry me out like bendryl did. I still sneeze a little in dusty areas but i think thats becasue im off the charts allergic to dust mites. Other than that i am ok around flowers as long as the pollen doesnt get rubbed on my face which is a far cry from before i started taking it. I couldnt even go in my own backyard for months and now i can have a garden again :). I dont have a tocarry a pack of tissues anymoe unles si have a cold so id say its been a really wonderful discovery for me and cheaper than pills i hope it can help you!

Spring
January 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I am using plain old castor oil from the pharmacy. I have never heard of Jamaican Black Castor Oil. What's it like?

I use the plain castor oil from the pharmacy at Walmart and have never tried the Jamaican black castor oil, so I was wondering the same thing :).

AstrayStar
January 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Nettle has been really helpful to me. My accupuncturist reccomended it to me and im so happy he did! I used to take several benedryl a day and if it was bad i was taking 3 at a time several times in one day. The first nettle one he reccomened was a tablet but it had pineapple in it andthat upset my stomach so i switched to the glycerite. If your more interested in tablets i think it was called springboard D-Hist Jr. but it comes in adult strength.

My allergies are mostly sneezy, runny nose, and a horrible horrrible post nasal drip that causes alot of coughing and pain. Nettle helps balance me outmore than dry me out like bendryl did. I still sneeze a little in dusty areas but i think thats becasue im off the charts allergic to dust mites. Other than that i am ok around flowers as long as the pollen doesnt get rubbed on my face which is a far cry from before i started taking it. I couldnt even go in my own backyard for months and now i can have a garden again :). I dont have a tocarry a pack of tissues anymoe unles si have a cold so id say its been a really wonderful discovery for me and cheaper than pills i hope it can help you!
Thank you sooo much! I am so going to try this! :D I am running out of pills that I can take since most of them don't work for me anymore.

Mannaz
January 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I lately discovered a new use for my rosemary EO. I bought some conditioner for my CO washes, the cheapest I could find and no wonder cause the smell is just, ugh...severe :brains:
I like to do long CO soaks and am a pretty smell-alerted (if that is a word...) person so I decided to mix some rosemary EO in the condish, to make it nicer to use. I used to do scalp massages with rosemary EO mixed with coconut oil, and I think it made a difference to my growth rate, wheter it was just the massaging or both the massaging and the EO I don't know, but I figured if the EO plays a role in it, I'll get the benefits of it in a CO soak too!
Rosemary is supposed to increase blood circulation, so it may well have an affect to hair growth. Also it may darken hair, so this should be a good oil for you Sissy! Although I haven't noticed any changes in my medium-blonde hair...

Oh, and I think you can scent products with patchouli EO, just remember that it's very strong and use just a smidge. I use it on my skin with carrier oils.
Also I've had good results with ylang-ylang when fighting against dryness, I use it in a mister.

Sissy
January 28th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I lately discovered a new use for my rosemary EO. I bought some conditioner for my CO washes, the cheapest I could find and no wonder cause the smell is just, ugh...severe :brains:
I like to do long CO soaks and am a pretty smell-alerted (if that is a word...) person so I decided to mix some rosemary EO in the condish, to make it nicer to use. I used to do scalp massages with rosemary EO mixed with coconut oil, and I think it made a difference to my growth rate, wheter it was just the massaging or both the massaging and the EO I don't know, but I figured if the EO plays a role in it, I'll get the benefits of it in a CO soak too!
Rosemary is supposed to increase blood circulation, so it may well have an affect to hair growth. Also it may darken hair, so this should be a good oil for you Sissy! Although I haven't noticed any changes in my medium-blonde hair...

Oh, and I think you can scent products with patchouli EO, just remember that it's very strong and use just a smidge. I use it on my skin with carrier oils.
Also I've had good results with ylang-ylang when fighting against dryness, I use it in a mister.

thanks, Mannaz. I'm def. going to try the rosemary and ylang-ylang eo. I think I'll get patchouli too :) I'm still looking into everything... there are so many to choose from. I've read that peppermint oil can stimulate growth. thyme and basil too :)

jojo
January 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I like coconut in summer and mustard oil in winter, dont know about it helping my hair grow but it softens and prevents breakage so preserves all my length!

Henna Sooq
January 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
you know I've taken to studying more deeply into ayurvedic hair care (indian herbs and oils and such), and they (I've found a local ayurvedic doctor, who does detox, and ayurvedic products too)were telling me about everyone's different consitution (pitta, kapha, and vatta), and that some people who react to like coconut oil, like get stuffy and such, is that it's just not for them because of one of those that cause it. I'm going to learn much more about this. I can't wait, so then I can share more details on this. It's really interesting!!

AstrayStar
January 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
you know I've taken to studying more deeply into ayurvedic hair care (indian herbs and oils and such), and they (I've found a local ayurvedic doctor, who does detox, and ayurvedic products too)were telling me about everyone's different consitution (pitta, kapha, and vatta), and that some people who react to like coconut oil, like get stuffy and such, is that it's just not for them because of one of those that cause it. I'm going to learn much more about this. I can't wait, so then I can share more details on this. It's really interesting!!
That would be fantastic and greatly appreciated :D

Henna Sooq
January 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
yeah it would be. I am looking into taking a few courses, or a whole program. They have more available in the US, but a few places up here that are worth looking into to. Thanks!

halfbakedtulip
January 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I could talk EO's all day but I am dying to know about the fruit fly thing...enlighten me please!

Sissy
January 29th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I could talk EO's all day but I am dying to know about the fruit fly thing...enlighten me please!

Well, I had found a while back and idea to use Lemongrass essential oil for getting rid of fruit flies.

To rid your house of fruit flies spray it with a dilution of Lemongrass Essential Oil. Place 10 drops per 2 ounces of hot water into a botle. Shake it well and spray those little pests. It it supposed to work on fruit flies, spiders, ants, and house flies. Leaves a pleasant scent in the home. You can also use it outside around the side walk, doors, and windows.

Here is a recipe for natural insect repellent using essential oils:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Natural-Outdoor-Fly-Repellent-with-Essential-Oils

LadyJennifer
January 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I have used Rosemary eo to help with hair fall after my son was born. I oiled with evoo with rosemary eo in it. It made my hair super soft, and my hair stopped falling out as much immediately. Rosemary is supposed to be good for dark hair, circulation/growth, and oily skin/scalp.