PDA

View Full Version : Question about Conditioner and Moisture

amoulixes
January 23rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
When I first changed my routine after joining the forum (in August), I decided to go with CWC with a non-coney condish. What a great result! I would do this at least every other day or three days depending on how long I could wait without feeling I needed to wash. This is still my method.

My hair felt great, it was moistured, no more frizzies...perfect! I originally started with Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner for damaged hair, then tried a bottle of the Aloe Vera (smells awesome!) but I found the Aloe Vera to be...sticky? I suddenly had no slip, my hair was in tangles, and looked terrible. That was last month.

Thinking it was the Aloe, I clarified and switched back to the Jojoba. It feels the same. I'm no longer getting that great moisturized feeling, my hair looks and feels blah, sticky, and I'm getting more tangles. Even a few swipes of plain Jojoba oil through my hair did nothing.

Any ideas to what's going on? Do I need to go back to cones? Protein problem? Bad batch of conditioner? I'm so hesitant to change products because I don't like to waste them, but I hate the way my hair feels right now.

ETA: I've looked at the bottle again, and noticed it has protein...I wonder if it's actually too much protein? But I don't think the Aloe has much protein and that's when the problem started.

contradiction
January 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
It just might be the CWC method of washing - too much conditioner. I don't think it's the protein
COing and CWCing worked great for me for about the first couple weeks or so, but after that my hair would always feel lank and greasy, and blah. I finally had to accept this washing method wasn't for me and I just went back to plain old S&C washing. Your hair looks like it is pretty fine and mine is too.

Dani
January 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Sounds exactly like it needs some clarifying :D I'd try a new conditioner also, just cause it's fun. ;)

deko
January 23rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe you should clarify? And then try again with the jojoba conditioner. Or use the aloe for the first C, then shampoo and use the jojoba for the last C.

I have learned that when there is a bad result to a new hair product you should clarify and then try again for a few weeks. It coult just be a some buildup.

My hair gets oil buildup fast, so fast that I'm thinking that the clarifying sort of minimises the benefits of oiling. So I use good oils mixed to my conditioner and don't use them as leave-ins anymore. My hair feels a lot happier.

Carolyn
January 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
That sounds exactly like what happens when I use the same conditioner time after time. I would suggest clarifying and then swapping out your conditioner each wash. I use a different one each time. I maybe have 5-10 in my rotation. I'll add or drop one if I feel like it. I use both cone and non cone conditioners. Cheap and expensive ones. Lots of variety.

amoulixes
January 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Sounds exactly like it needs some clarifying :D I'd try a new conditioner also, just cause it's fun. ;)

I already tried clarifying :(

Maybe you should clarify? And then try again with the jojoba conditioner. Or use the aloe for the first C, then shampoo and use the jojoba for the last C.

I have learned that when there is a bad result to a new hair product you should clarify and then try again for a few weeks. It coult just be a some buildup.

My hair gets oil buildup fast, so fast that I'm thinking that the clarifying sort of minimises the benefits of oiling. So I use good oils mixed to my conditioner and don't use them as leave-ins anymore. My hair feels a lot happier.

I've tried that too, but the build up gets really bad. I already tried clarifying and then again with the Jojoba conditioner. My problem is that it's not working like it used to before I tried the Aloe.

It just might be the CWC method of washing - too much conditioner. I don't think it's the protein
COing and CWCing worked great for me for about the first couple weeks or so, but after that my hair would always feel lank and greasy, and blah. I finally had to accept this washing method wasn't for me and I just went back to plain old S&C washing. Your hair looks like it is pretty fine and mine is too.

Can you have too much conditioner? :bigeyes: With just SC, I can't get a comb through it :(

Thanks y'all, I appreciate the input!

amoulixes
January 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
That sounds exactly like what happens when I use the same conditioner time after time. I would suggest clarifying and then swapping out your conditioner each wash. I use a different one each time. I maybe have 5-10 in my rotation. I'll add or drop one if I feel like it. I use both cone and non cone conditioners. Cheap and expensive ones. Lots of variety.

I wonder if swapping each time is worth it if I get the same result with both? I'm thinking of finding a new brand entirely. What a pain! :( I loved how it was a few months ago!

Arctic
January 24th, 2010, 03:47 AM
When I first changed my routine after joining the forum (in August), I decided to go with CWC with a non-coney condish. What a great result! I would do this at least every other day or three days depending on how long I could wait without feeling I needed to wash. This is still my method.

My hair felt great, it was moistured, no more frizzies...perfect! I originally started with Nature's Gate Jojoba conditioner for damaged hair, then tried a bottle of the Aloe Vera (smells awesome!) but I found the Aloe Vera to be...sticky? I suddenly had no slip, my hair was in tangles, and looked terrible. That was last month.

Thinking it was the Aloe, I clarified and switched back to the Jojoba. It feels the same. I'm no longer getting that great moisturized feeling, my hair looks and feels blah, sticky, and I'm getting more tangles. Even a few swipes of plain Jojoba oil through my hair did nothing.

Any ideas to what's going on? Do I need to go back to cones? Protein problem? Bad batch of conditioner? I'm so hesitant to change products because I don't like to waste them, but I hate the way my hair feels right now.

ETA: I've looked at the bottle again, and noticed it has protein...I wonder if it's actually too much protein? But I don't think the Aloe has much protein and that's when the problem started.

Since you've already tried clarifying, I think it would be good to leave all protein containing products for a while and consentrate on moisturizing your hair with water based products (SMTs are great when made of no-protein conditioner). My hair get like yours with too much protein too. It might take couple of weeks of no protein and lots of moisture, before your hair is back to normal, it depends on how much your protein-moisture balance is off. I suggest you start acting immediately, as protein overload can lead to damage and breakage if left alone (ask me how I know, sigh).

Arctic
January 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM
In addition: My hair get buildup very easily from everything, and I had to give up CWC method because it just was not cleaning enough for my lenght. It took me long time to realize that but when I did my hair got so much better! At first the CWC had given me great results too but with time it only led to perpetual buildup.